Rankings are stupid. Calm down. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Diamond

Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Post by 20160810 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:22 am

Unless you go to Arizona State, I guess.

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:26 am

Arizona State is a school in the rise. WUSTTTL is a toilet in decline. Obvs. Oh and Texas ... I'd be surprised if they even have enough employers for an OCI next year.

Seriously I hope some of you 0Ls come back in a year or two and laugh at how hard y'all are spergging out over some meaningless rankings system compiled by a joke of a publication using highly sketchy metrics that no employer really cares about.
Last edited by romothesavior on Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

padawanphil

Bronze

Post by padawanphil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:27 am

but then what is the point of this forum? i guess there's always march hotness...

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:29 am

padawanphil wrote:but then what is the point of this forum? i guess there's always march hotness...
Or unhotness, if you choose the wrong team.

I filled out my first bracket ever on ESPN's site and received a 99%, point spread and all with the final teams. It was all downhill after that.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:30 am

padawanphil wrote:but then what is the point of this forum? i guess there's always march hotness...
KENTUCKY OR SANTA CLARA FOR NYC BIGLAW HELP!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:31 am

romothesavior wrote:Arizona State is a school in the rise. WUSTTTL is a toilet in decline. Obvs. Oh and Texas ... I'd be surprised if they even have enough employers for an OCI next year.

Seriously I hope some of you 0Ls come back in a year or two and laugh at how hard y'all are spergging out over some meaningless rankings system compiled by a joke of a publication using highly sketchy metrics that no employer really cares about.
The debate between financial debt and ranking is very entertaining. And by entertaining, I mean :shock:.

padawanphil

Bronze

Post by padawanphil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:33 am

BearsGrl wrote:

I filled out my first bracket ever on ESPN's site and received a 99%, point spread and all with the final teams. It was all downhill after that.
was referring to this http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=100

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:33 am

Did I miss new rankings come out?

padawanphil

Bronze

Post by padawanphil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:34 am

SBL wrote:
KENTUCKY OR SANTA CLARA FOR NYC BIGLAW HELP!
plus i'll be paying sticker, have no ties to the area, and i refuse to retake...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:35 am

padawanphil wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

As a female, all I have to say is :? and :twisted:

But good luck on your dreams. :D

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:36 am

padawanphil wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

Plus, no dude will get Rihanna. Unless your name is Chris Brown.

padawanphil

Bronze

Post by padawanphil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:40 am

There's one for ladies too, but I can't find it right now... Thanks for the well wishes lol

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:15 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:08 am

romothesavior wrote:Arizona State is a school in the rise. WUSTTTL is a toilet in decline. Obvs. Oh and Texas ... I'd be surprised if they even have enough employers for an OCI next year.

If people perceive a situation as real, it is real in its consequences...

~Levin

No matter how flawed, the rankings are anything but "meaningless". In fact, they are probably the most meaningful element of legal education today. The fact that so many students give weight to the rankings has negatively affected the behavior of schools. The deleterious effect on legal education is exemplified by the false reporting of statistics and the redirecting of funds towards efforts like dirtecting scholarship money towards the recruitment of privileged students with high LSAT's and GPA's instead of need-based (and merit-based) funding for underrepresented minorities and disadvantaged whites. This also reduces the money available for programs that lead to better (read: course diversity, clinics, etc.) legal education. Schools thus produce fewer practice-ready graduates. Over time, this negatively affects how employers view the graduates of certain schools. The resulting increase in lesser or unprepared young attorneys leads to a downward spiral in the quality of legal services and scholarship.

That, my friends, is how the rankings translate into real, negative consequences...for EVERYONE.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:16 am

rad lulz wrote:Dude employers care. I heard employers are coming in DROVES from as far away as Siam to recruit at Washington now that it is a T20.
--ImageRemoved--
Rad confirmed Risk player.

Zazelmaf

Bronze

Post by Zazelmaf » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:04 am

I agree, even though they no longer apply to me. Rankings are a huge part of the downfall of the law school system. Shame on them.

TLS_noobie

Bronze

Post by TLS_noobie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:28 am

Zazelmaf wrote:I agree, even though they no longer apply to me. Rankings are a huge part of the downfall of the law school system. Shame on them.
Agreed. They should feel shame...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:53 am

Tom Joad wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Dude employers care. I heard employers are coming in DROVES from as far away as Siam to recruit at Washington now that it is a T20.
--ImageRemoved--
Rad confirmed Risk player.
Risk is fucking awesome.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:07 am

Stickying.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:50 pm

Seems like most of the spergging is being done by law students.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:01 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:

Like who? Most of the law students I have seen posting about this thing couldn't care less.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:18 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Like who? Most of the law students I have seen posting about this thing couldn't care less.
The constant freaking out about how everyone is freaking out over stupid shit is starting to freak me out.

We get it. The rankings don't matter. Calm down.

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

The constant freaking out about how everyone is freaking out over stupid shit is starting to freak me out.

We get it. The rankings don't matter. Calm down.

Or do they?......

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:41 pm

Rankings only matter if law firms ever re-evaluate which OCIs they will go to and the GPA cutoffs they use for schools. Do firms ever change their OCI traditions?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:45 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Rankings only matter if law firms ever re-evaluate which OCIs they will go to and the GPA cutoffs they use for schools. Do firms ever change their OCI traditions?
Davis has been ranked in the 20s while Hastings has been ranked in the 40s for a few years now and every firm I know of uses the same cutoffs.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”