Rankings are stupid. Calm down. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rad lulz

Platinum

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Post by rad lulz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:06 pm

O dany boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling, from glen to glen, and down the mountainside...

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:17 pm

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:01 pm

Whenever I see Dany Boy all I can think of is Chumbawumba.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:31 pm

romothesavior wrote:Arizona State is a school in the rise. WUSTTTL is a toilet in decline. Obvs. Oh and Texas ... I'd be surprised if they even have enough employers for an OCI next year.

Seriously I hope some of you 0Ls come back in a year or two and laugh at how hard y'all are spergging out over some meaningless rankings system compiled by a joke of a publication using highly sketchy metrics that no employer really cares about.
I agree! I believe the USNWR rankings are made up. I don't believe for one second that the reputational surveys are actually sent to any but the same "industry experts" every year. I also believe that USNWR manipulates its own data to get the desired outcomes.

Every school that climbs four or more spots is "on the rise" until it falls 10 spots...right back down to where it was before, or something akin to it. Indiana was "on the move", so was Illinois. Illinois was once #16 in the USNWR rankings, so what does it say that UIUC fell to the low-20's/high/30's, rose back to #23 or so, and now has recently fallen again? UC-Hastings was once #22 or 23 (I forget), and it was "on the rise"...yeah...back down to the mid-40's. U-Washington was once #23, and it fell down to the late-20's, then the late-40's, then rose back to the early-30's.

Now? Booyaa! U-Wash is #20. Can we trust it? Is it "on the move"? Recent history tells us that UC-Davis will be ranked back in the mid/late 30's in no time flat. This is all just musical chairs, manipulation to creat a different look so people aren't suspicious...so USNWR can continue to sell its TTTT magazine. But you notice that they don't tinker with their beloved T14, save for throwing the prisoners a smallbone last year and teasing them with Texas tying for #14. That won't happen again in the near future.

Except for some minor fluctuations, the top-30 is comprised of largely the same schools year-in and year-out: HYS, CCN, MVPB, DNCG, Texas, Vandy, UCLA, USC, Minnesota, GWU, BU, BC, WUSTL, N.D., Emory, Fordham, U-Washington, W & L, W & M, Illinois, Iowa, and UIUC.

Can anyone say "lipstick on a pig"?

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:43 pm

PhiAlphaFLBeta wrote:After the T15, career prospects are mostly regional, so why spend 150k for a private school like Tulane when you can go to LSU for less than half the price. That's what I took from his advice.
In general you are correct, but conceptually Tulane is a really bad example. In fact, the concept doesn't apply. Tulane is one of four non-T14's that actually bucks the trend and can place graduates all over the country. The other three are Vandy, N.D. and Howard.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:45 pm

PDaddy wrote:
PhiAlphaFLBeta wrote:After the T15, career prospects are mostly regional, so why spend 150k for a private school like Tulane when you can go to LSU for less than half the price. That's what I took from his advice.
In general you are correct, but conceptually Tulane is a really bad example. In fact, the concept doesn't apply. Tulane is one of four non-T14's that actually bucks the trend and can place graduates all over the country. The other three are Vandy, N.D. and Howard.
They don't call Tulane the "Harvard of the Bayou" for nothing.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:01 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Plus, no dude will get Rihanna. Unless your name is Chris Brown.

...wouldn't want her for a girlfriend, but I'd smash big-time.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:12 pm

T14 v. "T18"

The T14 concept seems a bit dead to me now. Although I believe the USNWR rankings are mostly BS, I do pay attention to the trends. The rationale behind the T14 concept is the noted staying power of a consortium of 14 schools that have been ranked within the top-14 since the inception of the rankings.

However, it turns out that four additional schools - Texas, Vandy, UCLA, and USC - actually have remarkable similar staying power within the more inclusive top-18. So why do we not just call the top-18 the T18?

Texas last year became the first school to crack the T14, and the other three have remained largely at #18 or above since UIUC dropped from #16.

There really is no T14, there's a T18. Minnesota and GWU really need to show more consistency before we can round it to T20, which would be really nice.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:17 pm

PDaddy wrote:T14 v. "T18"

The T14 concept seems a bit dead to me now. Although I believe the USNWR rankings are mostly BS, I do pay attention to the trends. The rationale behind the T14 concept is the noted staying power of a consortium of 14 schools that have been ranked within the top-14 since the inception of the rankings.

However, it turns out that four additional schools - Texas, Vandy, UCLA, and USC - actually have remarkable similar staying power within the more inclusive top-18. So why do we not just call the top-18 the T18?

Texas last year became the first school to crack the T14, and the other three have remained largely at #18 or above since UIUC dropped from #16.

There really is no T14, there's a T18. Minnesota and GWU really need to show more consistency before we can round it to T20, which would be really nice.
Please shut up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:20 pm

aschup wrote:

Please shut up.
I can't tell if he's trolling or just really stupid. If trolling, he's remarkably consistent from one thread to another.

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:22 pm

:D
Last edited by R86 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:22 pm

YSH, T6, and T12 are all that exist.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:43 pm

WTF IS THIS?????? Texas/Vandy/USC/UCLA troll!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:44 pm

Also... Texas was never part of the T14. It was simply #14 last year but as you mentioned the T14 are the 14 that have never fallen out thus Texas doesn't count since it was only there for just a moment. Just enough to tease people like you that actually bought into the hype.

padawanphil

Bronze

Post by padawanphil » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:48 pm

R86 wrote:Is T14 the schools ranked 1-14 or is it the 14 schools that have ever broken into the top 10 (or some shit like that...)?
1-14, and while their order changes some those 14 schools have always been 1-14

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:56 pm

padawanphil wrote:
R86 wrote:Is T14 the schools ranked 1-14 or is it the 14 schools that have ever broken into the top 10 (or some shit like that...)?
1-14, and while their order changes some those 14 schools have always been 1-14
AND have all at some point been in the top ten. You're both right.

Cornellanister

New

Post by Cornellanister » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:05 pm

Lets just call it T250 and be done with it. That way all of us can feel special!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:15 pm

If you go to T14 you're getting big law and endless success.

If you are T15+, you're royally fucked.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:21 pm

f7u12 wrote:Smells like buttermilk in here.
Was just thinking the same thing.

Anyone getting worked up over this foolishness has clearly not read the rest of PDaddy's body of work.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:59 pm

cue racial butthurt

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:59 pm

LOL.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:11 am

The USNWR rankings are similar to the Nielsen TV ratings. In the case of Nielsen, they survey less than 1% of the population―the other 99% are irrelevant. Argue that flawed method as much as you want, the bottom line is, what Nielsen says is gospel, ditto USNWR. Advertisers pay the BIG bucks to the highest rated shows while the lower rated shows are cancelled. The difference, of course, is that the lower rated law schools are not cancelled, they just march on happily collecting their tuitions.

In a manner of speaking, law firms use USNWR the way advertisers use Nielsen. The T-14, are “must buys” with special consideration to YSH, T-6, and PBV. One could also argue that dropping out of Tier-1 is like having your show going from network to cable.

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:15 am

Renne Walker wrote:The USNWR rankings are similar to the Nielsen TV ratings. In the case of Nielsen, they survey less than 1% of the population―the other 99% are irrelevant. Argue that flawed method as much as you want, the bottom line is, what Nielsen says is gospel, ditto USNWR. Advertisers pay the BIG bucks to the highest rated shows while the lower rated shows are cancelled. The difference, of course, is that the lower rated law schools are not cancelled, they just march on happily collecting their tuitions.

In a manner of speaking, law firms use USNWR the way advertisers use Nielsen. The T-14, are “must buys” with special consideration to YSH, T-6, and PBV. One could also argue that dropping out of Tier-1 is like having your show going from network to cable.
I like this analogy.

But your egregious anti-Mich trolling makes my butt hurt.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:44 am

DaftAndDirect wrote:
Renne Walker wrote:The USNWR rankings are similar to the Nielsen TV ratings. In the case of Nielsen, they survey less than 1% of the population―the other 99% are irrelevant. Argue that flawed method as much as you want, the bottom line is, what Nielsen says is gospel, ditto USNWR. Advertisers pay the BIG bucks to the highest rated shows while the lower rated shows are cancelled. The difference, of course, is that the lower rated law schools are not cancelled, they just march on happily collecting their tuitions.

I like this analogy.

But your egregious anti-Mich trolling makes my butt hurt.
Except that the advertising dollars fluctuate somewhat quickly and consistently with the ratings. As mentioned thousands of times before, a one year fluctuation in a school rankings is not going to affect OCI/hiring trends. I don't care if my school is #4 or #24, as long as the same employers continue coming with the same cutoffs, the ranking is irrelevant. I care about a job, not an arbitrary number to associate with my school.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:14 am

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”