Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:22 am

Unless you go to Arizona State, I guess.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:26 am

Arizona State is a school in the rise. WUSTTTL is a toilet in decline. Obvs. Oh and Texas ... I'd be surprised if they even have enough employers for an OCI next year.

Seriously I hope some of you 0Ls come back in a year or two and laugh at how hard y'all are spergging out over some meaningless rankings system compiled by a joke of a publication using highly sketchy metrics that no employer really cares about.
Last edited by romothesavior on Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
padawanphil
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby padawanphil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:27 am

but then what is the point of this forum? i guess there's always march hotness...

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby BearsGrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:29 am

padawanphil wrote:but then what is the point of this forum? i guess there's always march hotness...


Or unhotness, if you choose the wrong team.

I filled out my first bracket ever on ESPN's site and received a 99%, point spread and all with the final teams. It was all downhill after that.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:30 am

padawanphil wrote:but then what is the point of this forum? i guess there's always march hotness...

KENTUCKY OR SANTA CLARA FOR NYC BIGLAW HELP!

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby BearsGrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:31 am

romothesavior wrote:Arizona State is a school in the rise. WUSTTTL is a toilet in decline. Obvs. Oh and Texas ... I'd be surprised if they even have enough employers for an OCI next year.

Seriously I hope some of you 0Ls come back in a year or two and laugh at how hard y'all are spergging out over some meaningless rankings system compiled by a joke of a publication using highly sketchy metrics that no employer really cares about.


The debate between financial debt and ranking is very entertaining. And by entertaining, I mean :shock:.

User avatar
padawanphil
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby padawanphil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:33 am

BearsGrl wrote:
padawanphil wrote:but then what is the point of this forum? i guess there's always march hotness...


Or unhotness, if you choose the wrong team.

I filled out my first bracket ever on ESPN's site and received a 99%, point spread and all with the final teams. It was all downhill after that.

was referring to this viewtopic.php?f=10&t=180109&start=100

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby Br3v » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:33 am

Did I miss new rankings come out?

User avatar
padawanphil
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby padawanphil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:34 am

SBL wrote:
padawanphil wrote:but then what is the point of this forum? i guess there's always march hotness...

KENTUCKY OR SANTA CLARA FOR NYC BIGLAW HELP!

plus i'll be paying sticker, have no ties to the area, and i refuse to retake...

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby BearsGrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:35 am

padawanphil wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
padawanphil wrote:but then what is the point of this forum? i guess there's always march hotness...


Or unhotness, if you choose the wrong team.

I filled out my first bracket ever on ESPN's site and received a 99%, point spread and all with the final teams. It was all downhill after that.

was referring to this viewtopic.php?f=10&t=180109&start=100


As a female, all I have to say is :? and :twisted:

But good luck on your dreams. :D

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby BearsGrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:36 am

padawanphil wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
padawanphil wrote:but then what is the point of this forum? i guess there's always march hotness...


Or unhotness, if you choose the wrong team.

I filled out my first bracket ever on ESPN's site and received a 99%, point spread and all with the final teams. It was all downhill after that.

was referring to this viewtopic.php?f=10&t=180109&start=100


Plus, no dude will get Rihanna. Unless your name is Chris Brown.

User avatar
padawanphil
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby padawanphil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:40 am

There's one for ladies too, but I can't find it right now... Thanks for the well wishes lol

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:15 am

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby PDaddy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:08 am

romothesavior wrote:Arizona State is a school in the rise. WUSTTTL is a toilet in decline. Obvs. Oh and Texas ... I'd be surprised if they even have enough employers for an OCI next year.

Seriously I hope some of you 0Ls come back in a year or two and laugh at how hard y'all are spergging out over some meaningless rankings system compiled by a joke of a publication using highly sketchy metrics that no employer really cares about.


If people perceive a situation as real, it is real in its consequences...

~Levin

No matter how flawed, the rankings are anything but "meaningless". In fact, they are probably the most meaningful element of legal education today. The fact that so many students give weight to the rankings has negatively affected the behavior of schools. The deleterious effect on legal education is exemplified by the false reporting of statistics and the redirecting of funds towards efforts like dirtecting scholarship money towards the recruitment of privileged students with high LSAT's and GPA's instead of need-based (and merit-based) funding for underrepresented minorities and disadvantaged whites. This also reduces the money available for programs that lead to better (read: course diversity, clinics, etc.) legal education. Schools thus produce fewer practice-ready graduates. Over time, this negatively affects how employers view the graduates of certain schools. The resulting increase in lesser or unprepared young attorneys leads to a downward spiral in the quality of legal services and scholarship.

That, my friends, is how the rankings translate into real, negative consequences...for EVERYONE.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:16 am

rad lulz wrote:Dude employers care. I heard employers are coming in DROVES from as far away as Siam to recruit at Washington now that it is a T20.

--ImageRemoved--
Rad confirmed Risk player.

Zazelmaf
Posts: 229
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby Zazelmaf » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:04 am

I agree, even though they no longer apply to me. Rankings are a huge part of the downfall of the law school system. Shame on them.

User avatar
TLS_noobie
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby TLS_noobie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:28 am

Zazelmaf wrote:I agree, even though they no longer apply to me. Rankings are a huge part of the downfall of the law school system. Shame on them.


Agreed. They should feel shame...

Image

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:53 am

Tom Joad wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Dude employers care. I heard employers are coming in DROVES from as far away as Siam to recruit at Washington now that it is a T20.

--ImageRemoved--
Rad confirmed Risk player.

Risk is fucking awesome.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23645
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby chup » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:07 am

Stickying.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15487
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:50 pm

romothesavior wrote:Arizona State is a school in the rise. WUSTTTL is a toilet in decline. Obvs. Oh and Texas ... I'd be surprised if they even have enough employers for an OCI next year.

Seriously I hope some of you 0Ls come back in a year or two and laugh at how hard y'all are spergging out over some meaningless rankings system compiled by a joke of a publication using highly sketchy metrics that no employer really cares about.


Seems like most of the spergging is being done by law students.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:01 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Arizona State is a school in the rise. WUSTTTL is a toilet in decline. Obvs. Oh and Texas ... I'd be surprised if they even have enough employers for an OCI next year.

Seriously I hope some of you 0Ls come back in a year or two and laugh at how hard y'all are spergging out over some meaningless rankings system compiled by a joke of a publication using highly sketchy metrics that no employer really cares about.


Seems like most of the spergging is being done by law students.

Like who? Most of the law students I have seen posting about this thing couldn't care less.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15487
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:18 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Arizona State is a school in the rise. WUSTTTL is a toilet in decline. Obvs. Oh and Texas ... I'd be surprised if they even have enough employers for an OCI next year.

Seriously I hope some of you 0Ls come back in a year or two and laugh at how hard y'all are spergging out over some meaningless rankings system compiled by a joke of a publication using highly sketchy metrics that no employer really cares about.


Seems like most of the spergging is being done by law students.

Like who? Most of the law students I have seen posting about this thing couldn't care less.


The constant freaking out about how everyone is freaking out over stupid shit is starting to freak me out.

We get it. The rankings don't matter. Calm down.

User avatar
TrojanHopeful
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:37 am

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby TrojanHopeful » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Arizona State is a school in the rise. WUSTTTL is a toilet in decline. Obvs. Oh and Texas ... I'd be surprised if they even have enough employers for an OCI next year.

Seriously I hope some of you 0Ls come back in a year or two and laugh at how hard y'all are spergging out over some meaningless rankings system compiled by a joke of a publication using highly sketchy metrics that no employer really cares about.


Seems like most of the spergging is being done by law students.

Like who? Most of the law students I have seen posting about this thing couldn't care less.


The constant freaking out about how everyone is freaking out over stupid shit is starting to freak me out.

We get it. The rankings don't matter. Calm down.



Or do they?......

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:41 pm

Rankings only matter if law firms ever re-evaluate which OCIs they will go to and the GPA cutoffs they use for schools. Do firms ever change their OCI traditions?

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:45 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Rankings only matter if law firms ever re-evaluate which OCIs they will go to and the GPA cutoffs they use for schools. Do firms ever change their OCI traditions?

Davis has been ranked in the 20s while Hastings has been ranked in the 40s for a few years now and every firm I know of uses the same cutoffs.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests