Ruby at UChicago v. Harvard v. Columbia Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which should I choose?

Harvard ($21,000 per year grant)
36%
UChicago (Rubenstein Scholarship)
60%
Columbia (Butler)
3%
NYU ($87,500 total)
1%

Total votes: 137

chup

Diamond

Re: Ruby at UChicago v. Harvard v. Columbia

Post by chup » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:28 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
aschup wrote:
nametaken wrote:I am not exactly sure what I want to do after school.
Then don't go to law school, dummy.
This is dumb. Just because you don't know what kind of lawyer you wanna be doesn't mean you don't wanna be a lawyer. Also, I bet a good chunk of people think they know what they wanna do, but do something totally opposite in the end.
A lot of 0Ls take the LSAT and apply to law school because law school is inexplicably the default for people who are reasonably smart and either don't know what they want to do or don't want to deal with finding entry-level employment post-UG. As a result, a whole shit ton of people end up going to law school with no real earthly idea of why. An astronomically large number of those people come to regret their decision/wonder what else they could have done with their life. I've seen it first-hand.

OP's post seemed to put him in that camp, but apparently that's not the case.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:29 pm

Normally Harvard with a $21k need-based grant would beat out Rubenstein, imo (though I would normally be in the Rubenstein/Hamilton > Harvard without a substantial grant camp).

But yeah... with $100k in undergrad debt, I'd go with the full-ride at UChicago (as other people have said though, push Columbia on the Hamilton) over Harvard.

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:30 pm

aschup wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
aschup wrote:
This is dumb. Just because you don't know what kind of lawyer you wanna be doesn't mean you don't wanna be a lawyer. Also, I bet a good chunk of people think they know what they wanna do, but do something totally opposite in the end.
A lot of 0Ls take the LSAT and apply to law school because law school is inexplicably the default for people who are reasonably smart and either don't know what they want to do or don't want to deal with finding entry-level employment post-UG. As a result, a whole shit ton of people end up going to law school with no real earthly idea of why. An astronomically large number of those people come to regret their decision/wonder what else they could have done with their life. I've seen it first-hand.

I'm a she, and nope. I can't fathom why anyone would put themselves through the hell of the LSAT and the application process without knowing for sure they wanted to be a lawyer. Seems crazy. Anyways, back on topic...

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:30 pm

aschup wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
aschup wrote:

It's the shittiest camp ever.

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:32 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:I agree that Harvard has a leg up in certain things
I can only think of one: telling people you know you go to Harvard

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:34 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
Could it possibly be cooler if I say I got in and turned them down? :wink:

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
This is an exaggeration. Harvard is better for clerkships (especially at the very high end of things) and academia. For someone with $100k in UG debt, Harvard's LRAP program is a hell of a lot better (OP would get exactly $0 from UChicago's LRAP, in fact, because UChicago's is tied solely to the proportion of your monthly IBR payments that are attributable to your UChicago LS loans).
Last edited by ToTransferOrNot on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm

nametaken wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
Definitely douchier.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:36 pm

UChi debt: 80k (includes interest)
HLS debt: 193k (includes interest)

Couple that with your undergrad debt and you're looking at least 300k from HLS and 200k from UChi. HLS isn't going to open additional career paths since you basically need biglaw to cover that kind of debt. With that debt, you're going to be paying $43,000 per year for TEN YEARS (keep in mind that by the time you're done paying it back you will have repaid almost a half million dollars). You could, if you put petal to the metal, pay off your UChi loans in 5 years. With HLS you'd basically need to never leave biglaw for almost decade whereas you could exit earlier from UChi. Furthermore, 80% of biglaw associates end up leaving by year 5. 300k debt from HLS just seems way too risky considering you would be stuck at a job that the vast majority of people get shunted out of before you could pay it all back.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:36 pm

soj wrote:Man, NYU UG is rough.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can defer the Rubenstein, and next year's supposed to be the last year it's given out.
You could try this - if they really want you they might do it. I think I read something somewhere about a Darrow deferral...

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:38 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Normally Harvard with a $21k need-based grant would beat out Rubenstein, imo (though I would normally be in the Rubenstein/Hamilton > Harvard without a substantial grant camp).

But yeah... with $100k in undergrad debt, I'd go with the full-ride at UChicago (as other people have said though, push Columbia on the Hamilton) over Harvard.
I know, I was really happy to get that grant. Thanks for your advice. I definitely think that looking at the amount of total debt I'd have to pay off if I went to Harvard is swaying me to UChicago. Hopefully I will fall in love with the city/campus at ASW and it will make my decision easier.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:39 pm

nametaken wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Normally Harvard with a $21k need-based grant would beat out Rubenstein, imo (though I would normally be in the Rubenstein/Hamilton > Harvard without a substantial grant camp).

I know, I was really happy to get that grant. Thanks for your advice. I definitely think that looking at the amount of total debt I'd have to pay off if I went to Harvard is swaying me to UChicago. Hopefully I will fall in love with the city/campus at ASW and it will make my decision easier.
You will not fall in love with the UChicago campus. Just sayin'. I only had to spend two years there and I still wanted to claw my eyes out by the end - and I'm a Wisconsin kid, so it being "not NYC" was a plus for me.
Last edited by ToTransferOrNot on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:40 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
This is an exaggeration. Harvard is better for clerkships (especially at the very high end of things) and academia. For someone with $100k in UG debt, Harvard's LRAP program is a hell of a lot better (OP would get exactly $0 from UChicago's LRAP, in fact, because UChicago's is tied solely to the proportion of your monthly IBR payments that are attributable to your UChicago LS loans).
Even academia is close to a wash. Yes Harvard sends more people into academia, numbers-wise, but Chicago and Harvard are even when it comes to the % of academia-seekers who secure TT jobs. The real edge for Harvard is only in prestigious clerkships...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:40 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
OP has not said he would pursue clerkships or academia, though both are attainable from Chicago as well.

Edit: if OP goes to Chicago, and has $180k in total debt by the end, that is a good deal. Paying sticker for Chicago ($225k+) itself not unreasonable.
Last edited by tennisking88 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:41 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't think you can defer the Rubenstein, and next year's supposed to be the last year it's given out.
You could try this - if they really want you they might do it. I think I read something somewhere about a Darrow deferral...
I don't think deferring is an option for me. My family is struggling financially and I need to start making more money to help out. Plus they just spent a ton on applications, LSAT prep, etc. etc. and I think they would disown me if I decided to defer. Especially because I am not saving significant money at my job now.

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:41 pm

soj wrote:
nametaken wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
Definitely douchier.
Hahaha, agreed. I was definitely kidding

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:41 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
nametaken wrote:

You will not fall in love with the UChicago campus. Just sayin'. I only had to spend two years there and I still wanted to claw my eyes out by the end - and I'm a Wisconsin kid, so it being "not NYC" was a plus for me.
I absolutely love UChicago's campus. To each his own.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:42 pm

soj wrote:Work and bring down the UG debt. Defer or re-apply.
(Assuming OP knows she wants to do biglaw.) While I'd normally agree, I think OP's options at this point are so good that this is unnecessary. It would take at least half a decade to make a reasonable dent in that 100k. OP could be completely debt free in about the same amount of time by going to UChi-->biglaw for 5 years than if she worked just worked straight for 10 years.

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:42 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
nametaken wrote:

Yikes.. care to elaborate?

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:42 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:

I think it's worth trying. I believe you can defer Butlers and Hamiltons.

If you defer (or reapply and get into) Harvard, you might actually get less grant aid, assuming you've paid off a good chunk of your UG debt between now and then. (But if you enter an older age bracket between now and then, that might work in your favor for the Expected Parent Contribution calculation.) Obviously, you're still way better off having less debt and a slightly worse scholarship package, but it's worth considering.

I don't remember if Harvard's LIPP covers UG debt, but if it does, and you're considering going into PI, that might make the debt less frightening.
Last edited by soj on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:43 pm

100k UG debt? Yikes... Taking that into account, go with the Ruby. You don't want to try to pay back 300k -- even with biglaw that's brutal.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:45 pm

soj wrote:I don't remember if Harvard's LIPP covers UG debt, but if it does, and you're considering going into PI, that might make the debt less frightening.
It only covers 30k undergrad debt, and I don't think any LRAP actually covers it all. Which is why PI isn't a realistic option for OP.

ETA: Yale and Harvard only cover 30k of undergraduate debt. Stanford seems to imply that they cover any need-based loan even if its undergrad (with no limit).
You better enjoy biglaw since that's about the only feasible way you're going to pay off your loans.

Perdevise

Bronze

Post by Perdevise » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:47 pm

bk187 wrote:UChi debt: 80k (includes interest)
HLS debt: 193k (includes interest)

Couple that with your undergrad debt and you're looking at least 300k from HLS and 200k from UChi. HLS isn't going to open additional career paths since you basically need biglaw to cover that kind of debt. With that debt, you're going to be paying $43,000 per year for TEN YEARS (keep in mind that by the time you're done paying it back you will have repaid almost a half million dollars).
Wow, that is a dumbfounding amount of money.

Chicago is one of my favorite cities on Earth. I haven't been to the law school campus, but I think living in Chicago would be wonderful. And a Rubenstein sounds like it will be attractive to employers.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:48 pm

bk187 wrote:
soj wrote:I don't remember if Harvard's LIPP covers UG debt, but if it does, and you're considering going into PI, that might make the debt less frightening.
It only covers 30k undergrad debt, and I don't think any LRAP actually covers it all. Which is why PI isn't a realistic option for OP.
You better enjoy biglaw since that's about the only feasible way you're going to pay off your loans.
Yeah, I agree. And since deferring's not an option, OP should really choose Chicago.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:48 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
OP has not said he would pursue clerkships or academia, though both are attainable from Chicago as well.
She has said that she isn't sure what he would do. Clerkships are absolutely necessary for a lot of the "super-elite" lit boutiques, academia is its own thing, etc. And Harvard's clerkship benefit is absolutely not limited only to feeders - Chicago's overall clerkship placement has suffered in recent years.

By the way OP, I'm a Chicago alum (though I'm a transfer, so I don't have the full perspective). If you want to ask any specific questions about the school, feel free to PM me.

Re UChicago's campus.. let me correct myself. The law school building itself is perfectly fine. Hyde Park as a whole, though, is a dead-zone (in my opinion).

To bk: I'm pretty sure his undergrad loans would be forgiven along with everything else if he did PSLF (correct me if I'm wrong). To be sure though, going to Harvard to take advantage of PSLF is risky when you don't at least have some idea that it's what you want to do up-front. That said, it would suck for OP if they went to UChicago, weren't able to take advantage of Chicago's LRAP at all, and then paid precisely the same amount on her loans before the 10-year forgiveness kicked in. It's just a factor to consider.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”