Columbia or Harvard? Help.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bk1

Re: Columbia or Harvard? Help.

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:31 pm

TheRedMamba wrote:People keep harping on the big gap between YHS and the rest of the T14, saying it is the biggest gap in the T14....I know the scores received in the rankings don't mean a whole lot but it would seem as though a 1 point gap separating harvard and columbia is not as huge as some of you are making it out to be

"I know they don't mean a lot but since they are so close and it makes my school look better they must mean a lot."

Looks like someone is desperately trying to justify going to CLS.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:42 pm

TheRedMamba wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Sorry, I thought we were talking about things that mattered.

169? Sorry, I didn't know we were talking about our first diagnostic scores.

Postby 20130312 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:40 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
TheRedMamba wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Sorry, I thought we were talking about things that mattered.

169? Sorry, I didn't know we were talking about our first diagnostic scores.

Ah, let the burgers king cook.

crystalized

Postby crystalized » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:29 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
crystalized wrote:- I would be paying sticker at both schools. Doorkeeper, how do I go about "leveraging Harvard to get $ from Columbia"?

Quite simple. "Although I have a great deal of interest in going to Columbia Law School, I have also been admitted to Harvard Law School and I do not think it would be possible to attend CLS unless I receive some sort of scholarship to help fund my studies. Considering this, I would like to ask the Financial Aid office to reconsider their position regarding merit scholarships for my application."

Don't take that word for word, but that's the general structure of a negotiation letter. Columbia has two named scholarships (Butler and Hamilton) that they use to pry kids from HYS. Also, I believe Columbia offers smaller merit scholarships if one submits their financial materials (FAFSA and NeedAccess).

Thanks! Will try this. Am I eligible for Butler/Hamilton as a Canadian or is it only for US residents?

Tadatsune wrote:First, they can help you get an international SA position the first year.
Second, this in turn can help you get a SA position with a big firm that has an Asian office the second year.
Third, this can lead to either A) a job in Asia directly out of law school, or B) a few years working in the US before transferring to said offices in Asia.

This is along the lines of what I'm thinking. Sorry, what does SA stand for? Student associate?

Tadatsune

Postby Tadatsune » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:31 pm

This is along the lines of what I'm thinking. Sorry, what does SA stand for? Student associate?

Summer Associate.

(Note: my above reasoning is a great justification of picking Columbia over Chicago or NYU. I'm not so sure it is as good as a justification for picking Columbia over Harvard. Columbia puts a comparatively large number of 1Ls into SA positions in Asia. That said, it's not clear to me that Harvard's name wouldn't get you through that door just as easily or more so, if you wanted it and were willing to put in the effort.)
Last edited by Tadatsune on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:32 pm

crystalized wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
crystalized wrote:- I would be paying sticker at both schools. Doorkeeper, how do I go about "leveraging Harvard to get $ from Columbia"?

Quite simple. "Although I have a great deal of interest in going to Columbia Law School, I have also been admitted to Harvard Law School and I do not think it would be possible to attend CLS unless I receive some sort of scholarship to help fund my studies. Considering this, I would like to ask the Financial Aid office to reconsider their position regarding merit scholarships for my application."

Don't take that word for word, but that's the general structure of a negotiation letter. Columbia has two named scholarships (Butler and Hamilton) that they use to pry kids from HYS. Also, I believe Columbia offers smaller merit scholarships if one submits their financial materials (FAFSA and NeedAccess).

Thanks! Will try this. Am I eligible for Butler/Hamilton as a Canadian or is it only for US residents?

Tadatsune wrote:First, they can help you get an international SA position the first year.
Second, this in turn can help you get a SA position with a big firm that has an Asian office the second year.
Third, this can lead to either A) a job in Asia directly out of law school, or B) a few years working in the US before transferring to said offices in Asia.

Canadians are eligible for Butlers and Hamiltons, and SA = summer associate (a student working at a big firm for a summer).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”