Seeking Advice (Vandy vs Wash U vs Others)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
youngyodo

Seeking Advice (Vandy vs Wash U vs Others)

Postby youngyodo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:26 am

(Total Scholarship Money Offered)
Vandy (60k)
Wash U (60k)
UIUC (100k)
Tulane (100k)
Cardozo (120k)

Open to everyone's opinions. I have ties to the Midwest but am not opposed to relocating for school and a different region to practice. I value flexibility of a degree, and manageable debt load as well. Not sure on what type of law i'd want to practice, but would like to have the oppurtunity to have options when graduating. I would like the opportunity to do Big Law, but am not deadest on it unless my debt requires it. I realize that on the board Vandy seems to be the only school on my list with any type of "National" reach and for the decent scholarship I was offered I seem to be leaning that way, I do however have a few reservations.

Info:
No Undergrad Debt
URM
10k a year to offset living expenses

I have attempted to negotiate with Wash U, is there a number that they could throw out that would make them competitive with Vandy?

Also, I am waiting on several T-14 schools. If I get in to one what are your opinions on sticker at a T-14 vs the 60k I've received at Vandy?

t14fanboy

Re: Seeking Advice (Vandy vs Wash U vs Others)

Postby t14fanboy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:39 am

Vandy over all the others you listed. Come back when and if you get that t14 acceptance.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:07 am

Vandy for sure.

commoner

Postby commoner » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:40 am

I would aim for a top 10 over a top 14 sticker price.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:45 am

commoner wrote:I would aim for a top 10 over a top 14 sticker price.

Because clearly MVPB shit all over Duke and NU.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:44 am

t14fanboy wrote:Vandy over all the others you listed. Come back when and if you get that t14 acceptance.

youngyodo

Postby youngyodo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:04 pm

Thanks for the advice. The consensus here, and from other people that I've talked to, is Vandy by a substantial margin. I did like WashU when I visited, but the quality gap between the two schools in employment and prestige seems very real. But like I said earlier, is there any scholarship amount that would be worth consideration from Wash U?

The 20k per year scholarship and the 10k per year for living expenses will bring total expenses to around 90-100k. This is an amount I'm ok with. It's looking like it will be Nashville for the next three years.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:09 pm

youngyodo wrote:Thanks for the advice. The consensus here, and from other people that I've talked to, is Vandy by a substantial margin. I did like WashU when I visited, but the quality gap between the two schools in employment and prestige seems very real. But like I said earlier, is there any scholarship amount that would be worth consideration from Wash U?

The 20k per year scholarship and the 10k per year for living expenses will bring total expenses to around 90-100k. This is an amount I'm ok with. It's looking like it will be Nashville for the next three years.

I mean a full ride to WUSTL would be nice, but I still wouldn't recommend that since it doesn't line up with your goals (biglaw+portability).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”