Decision Time

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
travman90

Decision Time

Postby travman90 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:41 pm

So now it comes time to decide where I'm going to school. I'll make up the list of pros/cons I've thought of and some additional comments on the end.

GULC:
Pros-
T14
DC (family)
Currently work in DC and already worked out being able to continue working there during my 1L year (both wtih GULC and my office) and my office has promised a job as a lawyer here upon graduation.
Con-
Stuck in DC probably (and I'm not 100% fond of this city)
Most expensive option (by a lot)

UCLA
Pros-
California
Scholarship
I have connections to entertainment industry and lawyers there for possible jobs post grad
Family
Con-
Have to move cross-country
Less prestigious

USC
Same as UCLA minus scholarship (potiental there, but not sure no info yet)

Fordham
Pros-
NYC
Big law and government connections in NYC for me
Full scholarship
Con-
Less presitigous
Limiting based on lower ranking

Thoughts so far on my options? I'm still waiting to hear back from one school (Vanderbilt) so that may change some things, but we'll see. In terms of finances, I have job opportunities as I have indicated so I know I can make money post law school, the question is how much debt I will go into based on each law school. Georgetown/USC will be a lot, UCLA will be middle and Fordham will cost essentially nothing. Location is obviously a factor but I have ties to each area, so I'm okay being at any of these locations. Look forward to reading your comments :)

I do have a partner who is fully supportive of any decision I make, but if I go anywhere outside of DC it will be a long distance relationship, which obviously will be a struggle. Also, he is not a citizen of the US and is here on a work visa, which means we may be getting married sooner rather than later, which as a same-sex couple is limiting and gives NY and DC a bit of an advantage because they currently recognize rights while California is fairly on the fence (and hopefully soonish to be decided)
Last edited by travman90 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bernaldiaz

Re: Decision Time

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:43 pm

Depending on your scholarship, sounds like UCLA by a mile if you could see yourself working in California. I don't really think UCLA is much less prestigious than GULC (if at all), especially in California.

travman90

Postby travman90 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:47 pm

I can see myself working at any of those 3 places, grew up in NYC and know it well (visit all the time), went to high school/undergrad in California and currently work in DC. So I know all the areas well and I do enjoy each of them pretty well.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:52 pm

Go to GULC, you won't have to move since you're already there. The degree from GULC is pretty commutable since the lay prestige of GULC is pretty good.

Postby 20130312 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:54 pm

Wait, Fordham is essentially free and you grew up in NYC? Without the SO, I would come down hard on you for even considering other options.

travman90

Postby travman90 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:57 pm

Haha, so we have one post for each so far.

To be fair Fordham is essentially free, but with working/SO in DC GULC isn't too bad because I can split a lot of day to day expenses and I'll be working off some of my debt constantly.

UCLA at least has a good amount of money to offer and my family owns a home in LA so cost of living is cut down pretty sharply.

So finances aren't going to be a huge consideration since in any case they are all fairly managable.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:08 pm

travman90 wrote:Haha, so we have one post for each so far.

To be fair Fordham is essentially free, but with working/SO in DC GULC isn't too bad because I can split a lot of day to day expenses and I'll be working off some of my debt constantly.

UCLA at least has a good amount of money to offer and my family owns a home in LA so cost of living is cut down pretty sharply.

So finances aren't going to be a huge consideration since in any case they are all fairly managable.

GULC it is. LOL. Either way, they're all great options. Good luck!

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:11 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Wait, Fordham is essentially free and you grew up in NYC? Without the SO, I would come down hard on you for even considering other options.

Especially as they only give 2 full rides per year

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:20 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:Depending on your scholarship, sounds like UCLA by a mile if you could see yourself working in California. I don't really think UCLA is much less prestigious than GULC (if at all), especially in California.

I'm dumb. I missed the part that said you had a job on lock down in DC. Do that.

Postby 20130312 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:20 pm

JoeMo wrote:Either way, they're all great options.

I think this is why you're getting conflicting answers, OP. Congrats! Enjoy one of these schools.

Or, ya know, retake.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:28 pm

Realistically, your options are about even (GULC>UCLA>Fordham tbh)
Pick the city you want to live in and go for it

travman90

Postby travman90 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:34 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
JoeMo wrote:Either way, they're all great options.

I think this is why you're getting conflicting answers, OP. Congrats! Enjoy one of these schools.

Or, ya know, retake.

Yeah I'll just give up on these and retake *sarcasm*
Lol.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:38 pm

Exactly how much would GULC cost once you factor in working at the job? How would the debt coming from GULC compare to the salary you would make at the gauranteed job?

Tadatsune

Postby Tadatsune » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:40 pm

bk1 wrote:Exactly how much would GULC cost once you factor in working at the job? How would the debt coming from GULC compare to the salary you would make at the gauranteed job?

This is critical information.

travman90

Postby travman90 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:41 pm

bk1 wrote:Exactly how much would GULC cost once you factor in working at the job? How would the debt coming from GULC compare to the salary you would make at the gauranteed job?

I haven't done all the math out, especially because I can't quite figure out how many hours I will be working yet, so it's hard to say at GULC, however the job will offer a six figure salary.

llachans

Postby llachans » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:48 pm

It sounds like all of your options are great. It comes down to where you want to go.

Tadatsune

Postby Tadatsune » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:57 pm

travman90 wrote:

I haven't done all the math out, especially because I can't quite figure out how many hours I will be working yet, so it's hard to say at GULC, however the job will offer a six figure salary.

I'm inclined to say "go with GLUC" given the guaranteed job. But, you have some pretty good alternatives to choose from.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:03 pm

travman90 wrote:I haven't done all the math out, especially because I can't quite figure out how many hours I will be working yet, so it's hard to say at GULC, however the job will offer a six figure salary.

Then I would personally take GULC.

1. GULC probably places better in NYC than DC so I wouldn't worry about not getting NYC. GULC is the best school on your list for NYC biglaw.

2. Having a fallback job is wonderful. You eliminate pretty much all the risk since you have a guaranteed 6 figure job in case OCI doesn't work out (granted it isn't in your ideal city, but it allows you to take that risk).

3. SO. I would personally stomach living in a city I dislike to stay with my SO but obviously this is a personal decision. If you're living together that helps cut some of the cost off GULC.

4. Those connections you have in NYC can still help you whether you go to GULC or Fordham.

The way I see it, USC/UCLA seem like duds since they don't give you as good a shot at NYC and they are riskier due to higher cost and no fallback option. Fordham/GULC each have their way to mitigate risk. Fordham will leave you debt-free so you avoid risk that way. GULC will leave you with a guaranteed fallback job that can support a large debt load. I think GULC is better since the risk is mitigated but you get a larger shot at what you seem to want (CA/NYC biglaw).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”