Utah (full) v. CU (50K debt) v. UW (90K debt)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dr123

Re: Utah (full) v. CU (50K debt) v. UW (90K debt)

Postby dr123 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:17 am

rad lulz wrote:
paperfish wrote:Fair enough - actual ties would be to VT (hometown) and RI (undergrad). Otherwise, no family or work experience elsewhere. I have been living in Ontario for the past few years, but have no intention of staying.

Small markets in parochial regions is risky for getting a job bro, but the risk is mitigated somewhat because at least Utah and Colorado are cheap. So choose whether you want to practice in Utah or Colorado and go to that school.

The mountain west isn't particularly parochial

senhorquick

Postby senhorquick » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:57 am

dr123 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
paperfish wrote:Fair enough - actual ties would be to VT (hometown) and RI (undergrad). Otherwise, no family or work experience elsewhere. I have been living in Ontario for the past few years, but have no intention of staying.

Small markets in parochial regions is risky for getting a job bro, but the risk is mitigated somewhat because at least Utah and Colorado are cheap. So choose whether you want to practice in Utah or Colorado and go to that school.

The mountain west isn't particularly parochial

^Also this. Colorado has become an increasingly "hip" destination for disenchanted Midwesterners, California skibums, and East Coasters who want to experience "something real." (little do they know they we come second only to Californians in the magnitude of our fakeness... ;]) Competition for employment is pretty fierce here. I have met quite a few out of staters without connections to CO and for those that don't perform that is particularly risky in a state that values "natives"

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:08 am

Wait a sec. This guy has a 3.7/171, and is looking at these schools? Look man, the only reasonable choice here is Utah. Getting full ride is essential here. The legal market outside top cities (NYC, maybe DC), is down right brutal. Saying you want to specialize is even worse. Midlaw doesn't exist, and PI is being butchered by federal and state gov. cuts.

Either take Utah, or look at the T-14. Frankly, I think you should retake, hit 173+, and then shoot for CC. Would they be sticker? Yeah, but sticker at CC would at least give backup for being median in class, as well as NYC for work. You could hit NYC, payoff the debt, then head out West, with some work experience. Or, you could use their LRAP for PI stuff out West.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:11 pm

Yeah you have great numbers for all these schools. If you don't want T-14 or Big Law then it really doesn't matter, just negotiate and try to get a full-ride from whatever school you choose.

I bet if you called CU up and said if you scholarship match I'll deposit they would think about it and say yes. Maybe UW would too. Try it?

paperfish

Postby paperfish » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:51 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. Seriously.

dissonance1848 - I have no desire to live in NYC/LA/Boston/Chicago/DC, etc. so BigLaw is not a goal for me. I know it's a risk, but I'm hoping that if I end up with minimal (CU) to zero (Utah) loans, it won't be that big of an issue.

McDuff - I emailed about a week ago and it was forwarded to their "Scholarship Committee", whoever that might be. You think a phone call would work better? I have no idea how to negotiate scholarships without pissing people off.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:05 pm

paperfish wrote:McDuff - I emailed about a week ago and it was forwarded to their "Scholarship Committee", whoever that might be. You think a phone call would work better? I have no idea how to negotiate scholarships without pissing people off.

I know what you mean. I felt the same way when I was in your shoes. My strategy was just to be super nice and not in anyway entitled. I think you should call, maybe ask some inane but not totally irrelevant question, then change the subject and say, assuming it's true, something to the extent of " how can I increase my chances of additional scholarship? -- I have a full scholarship at Utah and it would be a very practice choice for me to attend there because of career goals and my aversion to debt. However, CU blah blah, my first choice blah, I would deposit and withdraw all my other applications if CU would match the scholarship from Utah."

I don't think something like this would piss them off, but I'm no expert. Everyone I spoke to last year about scholarships was really understanding.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”