Utah (full) v. CU (50K debt) v. UW (90K debt)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
paperfish

Utah (full) v. CU (50K debt) v. UW (90K debt)

Postby paperfish » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 pm

I need help with this...

I am not tied to a specific location for future work, but I do like the outdoors/mountains (which is part of the reason these are the schools in play) and am looking to do Natural Resources and/or Indian Law work. I have a full ride with Utah, would take on 50K (approx.) in debt at Colorado and much more at Washington.

Any thoughts/comments/opinions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

rad lulz

Re: Utah (full) v. CU (50K debt) v. UW (90K debt)

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:15 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lobolawyer

Postby lobolawyer » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:17 pm

If you're not driven by locale, I think Utah is the obvious choice. These schools will offer similar opportunities, the only real difference I see is location - and in your case cost.

paperfish

Postby paperfish » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:18 pm

Fair enough - actual ties would be to VT (hometown) and RI (undergrad). Otherwise, no family or work experience elsewhere. I have been living in Ontario for the past few years, but have no intention of staying.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:21 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paperfish

Postby paperfish » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:23 pm

lobolawyer - Can I assume you live/work in New Mexico? I've read the long thread about working in New Mexico, but would you say from your perspective that going to Colorado or Utah would make it nearly impossible to keep New Mexico as a possibility for work after law school? I was also accepted to UNM, but was thinking that these three schools keep more states open for later work. I'm hoping to keep New Mexico in the mix, but would not going to UNM eliminate that option?

rad lulz - Thanks. That's what I'm thinking it has to come down to, but I thought I'd throw my question out to forum-world and see what was said. Just another big choice to be made!

lobolawyer

Postby lobolawyer » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:29 pm

paperfish wrote:lobolawyer - Can I assume you live/work in New Mexico? I've read the long thread about working in New Mexico, but would you say from your perspective that going to Colorado or Utah would make it nearly impossible to keep New Mexico as a possibility for work after law school? I was also accepted to UNM, but was thinking that these three schools keep more states open for later work. I'm hoping to keep New Mexico in the mix, but would not going to UNM eliminate that option?

rad lulz - Thanks. That's what I'm thinking it has to come down to, but I thought I'd throw my question out to forum-world and see what was said. Just another big choice to be made!

You're assumption is correct. And it will be difficult (not nearing impoosible on some imaginary continuum) to move to NM if you choose UT/CU. Of the two, NM is easier to get from CU. That being said, if you're set on NM (sounds like you're not) UNM is the best choice.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:34 pm

Natural Resources & Native American/Tribal Law suggests Colorado or New Mexico. Nevertheless, a full tuition scholarship to Utah remains attractive. Either Colorado or New Mexico has a Natural Resources Law Journal & both are noted for NA/Tribal Law. Even at $90,000 debt, Washington is enticing if you want to live & work in the Pacific Northwest. In my opinion, this comes down to personal preference since you are establishing yourself in a new region & will not incur major debt at any of your options.

P.S. Each summer New Mexico hosts a session for NA students headed to law school. One of the New Mexico Court of Appeals is adjacent to the law school in Albuquerque (the other is in the state capitol Santa F3).
Utah moves into new facilities in a year or two.
Colorado's law school is gorgeous & only about 5 or 6 years old. Boulder is spectacular.

paperfish

Postby paperfish » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:42 pm

Colorado and New Mexico would leave me with around the same amount of debt, so the real difference I see there is portability (CU higher than UNM, but not high overall).

Is $50K a low enough amount of debt to consider CU or UNM over the full-ride at Utah? I know it's still debt, but it's not insurmountable.

Does anyone know about the job market for Utah grads in Utah? I'm thinking that CU is stronger than Denver (Sturm) in Colorado, but I *think* BYU is stronger (job-wise) than Utah? I'm just wondering if my school choice limits me to a state (which it seems to), if I'll have a stronger foothold in Colorado with CU than in Utah with U. Utah.

Or regional portability of any of these? Like lobolawyer mentioned that CU would be better in New Mexico than Utah would...
Last edited by paperfish on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:46 pm

All four (Utah, New Mexico, Washington & Colorado) are regional law schools. Colorado enjoys a strong reputation across state lines, while New Mexico, Utah & Washington seem more limited.

$50,000 of debt for 3 years of law school is quite reasonable; even $90,000 is reasonable so long as you have little or no undergraduate debt.

lobolawyer

Postby lobolawyer » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:50 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:All four (Utah, New Mexico, Washington & Colorado) are regional law schools. Colorado enjoys a strong reputation across state lines, while New Mexico, Utah & Washington seem more limited.

$50,000 of debt for 3 years of law school is quite reasonable; even $90,000 is reasonable so long as you have little or no undergraduate debt.

+1

Another factor to consider is that the Denver Metro market (Boulder etc.) was hit harder during the Econ downturn than NM/UT and also draws significantly more T14 applicants. But, if you do well at CU you'll have options.

littlebit

Postby littlebit » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:51 pm

Pretty sure Utah has been discussed in length in this forum by students actually attending the law school. Might want to use the search tab and check it out. Discussion on how ties to the area influence job search, etc. Are you mormon? Pretty sure they talk about half of the class being mormon. On to the next question, are you Indian? If so, there might be another discussion about that on this forum. Good luck!

paperfish

Postby paperfish » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:58 pm

littlebit - I am neither Mormon nor Indian, both of which I'm sure will factor in at some point down the road. My interest in Indian/Native American/Tribal Law comes from my master's research on the impact of a gold mine on an Inuit community in Nunavut, Canada. Very complicated and interesting issues. Thanks for the good wishes.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:02 pm

Did you apply to any Canadian law schools ?

paperfish

Postby paperfish » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:03 pm

CanadianWolf - No, I didn't. I'm a US citizen and wanted to come back to the US and then practice in the US, so I thought it was the best plan. Why?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:06 pm

Healthy market for lawyers. Lots of NA issues/law.

paperfish

Postby paperfish » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:08 pm

Right. Along those lines, CU offers a dual degree (JD/LLB) with U. Alberta in 4 years. I've heard that many of those kinds of programs are basically useless. Any thoughts?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:13 pm

They are not useless since you can practice in either country with both Canadian & US law degrees. Alberta has lots of oil &, therefore, a healthy economy.
Your interests suggest that Victoria or UBC would have been great options. (Hawaii has a joint program with either Victoria or UBC.) NYU has one with Osgoode Hall (York).

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:21 pm

I'm a 1L at CU and I got two interviews in Albuquerque for a 1L summer. No ties to NM. However, these are 1L paid by the hour gigs so.. I dunno maybe if it was post-grad stuff I would get shutout.

Do BYU grads stay in state? I know they attract Mormons from all over the country... Figured many of those would go home. PS I just watched religulous again the other night and Mormans take the crazy cake.

OP go to where you want to live. I don't think going to CU to work in NM is a good idea. Maybe if you were from NM.

Hjones33

Postby Hjones33 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:34 pm

Would you mind saying your numbers? I am curious what it took to get those schollys. Thanks!

senhorquick

Postby senhorquick » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:52 pm

Being a CO native and current CU undergrad, it kills me to say this, but a full ride at Utah shouldn't be passed up. That is a really good deal.

paperfish

Postby paperfish » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:12 pm

McDuff - that's good to hear, and no, I'm not planning to live in NM after graduation. It was just an option that I was hoping to keep open.

Hjones33 - 3.7/171

Senhorquick - Really? I'm assuming you're applying to law schools too - where are you looking?

McDuff & Senhorquick - Any downsides to living in Boulder besides housing costs?

Thanks.

senhorquick

Postby senhorquick » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:20 am

I am not applying this cycle. But, if all goes well I am aiming for Stanford or Boalt in a year or two.

CU is great. I would only advise coming here if you are on your A-game though. Denver's economy is reeling still.

Gleason

Postby Gleason » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:01 am

CanadianWolf wrote:They are not useless since you can practice in either country with both Canadian & US law degrees. Alberta has lots of oil &, therefore, a healthy economy.
Your interests suggest that Victoria or UBC would have been great options. (Hawaii has a joint program with either Victoria or UBC.) NYU has one with Osgoode Hall (York).
Last edited by Gleason on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lobolawyer

Postby lobolawyer » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:11 am

senhorquick wrote:Being a CO native and current CU undergrad, it kills me to say this, but a full ride at Utah shouldn't be passed up. That is a really good deal.

Initially, this was my reaction. However, if you're not completely sold on UT then it might not be worth it..

Return to “Choosing a Law School”