Paying sticker for Fordham

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mcdeeremitch

Paying sticker for Fordham

Postby mcdeeremitch » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:00 pm

I did use the search function so I know this question has been asked many of times but I wanted to get a fresh perspective with my particular set of circumstances

I am currently on the fordham waitlist...now with my stats (154/3.19 AA URM) is unlikely that I make off the waitlist in the first place...i know this..but given some rare chance that I do I would have to make a decision asap so Im trying to get a head start thinking about it

So far I have two schools that I have been admitted to that I am seriously considering W&L (13,500) and Howard at (13,00...which I am trying to get pushed up)...I am leaning towards Howard

I know Fordham at sticker is normally frowned upon, however my goal is nyc biglaw which Ive read Fordham does pretty decent in the NYC market

Given the rare chance that I get in off the WL at fordham I proably wont get any money...with all this would it be smart to dump Howard and W&L and take Fordham at sticker??

rad lulz

Re: Paying sticker for Fordham

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:03 pm

I would not go to Fordham at sticker debt. That is not smart.

What is the total cost of attendance at your other options?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:07 pm

If your goal is NYC biglaw I wouldn't settle for less than the T14. Retake to the 160's and you've got a shot at em.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:23 pm

bk1 wrote:If your goal is NYC biglaw I wouldn't settle for less than the T14. Retake to the 160's and you've got a shot at em.

This.

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:52 pm

thanks for the replies everybody

COA at howard is 52k but that is mainly becasue of DC's high cost of living since tuition is only 25k if I could find somewhere to live cheaply then COA goes down greatly...where W&L is at 62k with 50k in tuition

retaking is not really an option considering that Howard gives me a decent shot at biglaw simply becasue of who and how many recruit there while howard is not in the leauge of the t-14 as far as placement statistics it doesn't fare to bad in biglaw...given that and the significant contacts I have im in a good postition

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:55 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:retaking is not really an option considering that Howard gives me a decent shot at biglaw simply becasue of who and how many recruit there while howard is not in the leauge of the t-14 as far as placement statistics it doesn't fare to bad in biglaw...given that and the significant contacts I have im in a good postition

Decent? 10-20% is not decent. It means that 80-90% of the time you're not getting biglaw.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:59 pm

Among your current choices, Howard is the best option. Fordham at sticker is foolish & W&L is a very different Old South environment (Howard & W&L are on opposite ends of the spectrum).

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:06 pm

At Fordham, being top 3rd should get you an interview at biglaw (whether you can turn that into an offer is up to you).
Fordham's placement into NY (where starting pay is at least 6 figures) is good enough to make Fordham a worthwhile, but risky proposition.
Basically, half of graduates should have no problem securing jobs that'll pay off their loans (even if it means not having the life biglaw provides)
The problem is that for the bottom 1/3rd or so that strike out, that's a boatload of debt they'll have no chance of paying off.
The problem is that Fordham is very expensive and while it's not doom and gloom, there's a big enough chance of ending up broke that you should weigh the risks before committing.

It's a good school that gives you one of the best shots at NY biglaw there is outside of the T14.
But with 1/3 chance of biglaw, 1/3 so-so and 1/3 chance of being broke, you need to ascertain your risk tolerance

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:31 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:retaking is not really an option considering that Howard gives me a decent shot at biglaw simply becasue of who and how many recruit there while howard is not in the leauge of the t-14 as far as placement statistics it doesn't fare to bad in biglaw...given that and the significant contacts I have im in a good postition

I'm not following your logic here.

Is retaking and waiting another cycle due to personal reasons? What's the rush in attending next year? I'm only nitpicking a bit because you said your goal was NYC biglaw.

Indifferent

Postby Indifferent » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:36 pm

dingbat wrote:At Fordham, being top 3rd should get you an interview at biglaw (whether you can turn that into an offer is up to you).

OP is AA, I think it's more like median at Fordham gives OP a good shot at biglaw.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:27 pm

Indifferent wrote:
dingbat wrote:At Fordham, being top 3rd should get you an interview at biglaw (whether you can turn that into an offer is up to you).

OP is AA, I think it's more like median at Fordham gives OP a good shot at biglaw.

I don't want to boost too much...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”