Full ride at UConn vs. home state school vs. T30 vs. Tulane? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
laduper

New

Full ride at UConn vs. home state school vs. T30 vs. Tulane?

Post by laduper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:27 am

I applied to UConn on a whim, because my Dad lives there. I have no affiliation to the state of Connecticut other than him, but I did get a 3-year full ride, and am obviously now seriously considering it. Prior to that offer, it was between Tulane ($25k/yr), Wisconsin (in-state tuition, huge network), & William & Mary (I live in DC right now, they offered the equivalent of $17k/yr).

So, here's my issue: I'd have a hard time turning down a full ride, but I'm from Wisconsin, it's higher ranked (as are the other three options), and I'm wondering a) what people think of UConn/what its reputation is other than basketball and b) if I should even consider the other three schools when I'm sitting on a full ride offer.

What are your thoughts? What do you know of these four schools that will help me decide?

Thanks!

Tadatsune

Bronze

Re: Full ride at UConn vs. home state school vs. T30 vs. Tulane?

Post by Tadatsune » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:33 am

How would you feel about working in Connecticut?

laduper

New

Post by laduper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:43 am

I don't love Connecticut, but I also have never lived there. I don't love $100k in debt, either, so... it's sort of up in the air.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:48 am

I turned down a full-ride at UConn to go to UMich.

However, I toured UConn several times, talked to admissions staff (including the dean of admissions) extensively and talked to some current students. I love the school.

It is possible that since you have ties to Wisconsin you could come back after going to UConn for law school, however, when you look at their placement UConn grads stay in Connecticut mostly. It's a highly regarded school in Connecticut and further than that in New England but it doesn't have much national reach. This is not to say anything bad about the school, most schools are not national and kind of tie you down to the area you go to school in.

All that being said, if you can fathom staying in Connecticut (or New England although understand that the competition from Boston schools anywhere north of Connecticut is very real) then go for the full-ride. If you really don't think you can stay there more than the three years then go to Wisconsin.

W&M is going to be the same as UConn only it's going to keep you in VA where you will face strong competition from other DC area schools.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:29 pm

If you want Corporate and want to work for an insurance company, UConn does well placing directly into that industry (there are lots of insurance companies in CT)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”