Poll: Current Acceptances vs Conditional Acceptances

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which option would you choose?

Thomas M. Cooley Law School - Accepted
44%
Florida Coastal School of Law - Accepted
8%
Phoenix School of Law - Accepted
4%
Nova Southeastern University – Summer Online AAMPLE Program
4%
Loyola University New Orleans – Summer Conditional Program
20%
New York Law School - Summer Online AAMPLE Program
20%

Total votes: 25

ilawyer202

Poll: Current Acceptances vs Conditional Acceptances

Postby ilawyer202 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:13 am

So far, these are the options I have to start this upcoming fall 2012. I have been weighing out my options and am really unsure where I would attend. I am still waiting to hear back from a few law schools.

I essentially want to get into UDC (still anxiously waiting on a decision), but if not, I would want to Transfer to a DC school after completing one year at another law school (perhaps one of these listed below). As of now, NYLS is seeming the best option considering it would be a regional pick, but I am skeptical about the AAMPLE program. I am also waiting to hear back from CLEO, maybe that could help with my waitlists and decisons at schools I have not heard back from. Please share your opinions on these schools and options; any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Acceptances:
Thomas M. Cooley Law School
Florida Coastal School of Law
Phoenix School of Law

Conditional Acceptances (Must complete summer program):
New York Law School – Summer Online AAMPLE Program

Waitlists:
University of San Francisco
Thomas Jefferson School of Law
Barry University School of Law

specialsnowflake

Re: Poll: Current Acceptances vs Conditional Acceptances

Postby specialsnowflake » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:16 am

ilawyer202 wrote:So far, these are the options I have to start this upcoming fall 2012. I have been weighing out my options and am really unsure where I would attend. I am still waiting to hear back from a few law schools.

I essentially want to get into UDC (still anxiously waiting on a decision), but if not, I would want to Transfer to a DC school after completing one year at another law school (perhaps one of these listed below). As of now, NYLS is seeming the best option considering it would be a regional pick, but I am skeptical about the AAMPLE program. I am also waiting to hear back from CLEO, maybe that could help with my waitlists and decisons at schools I have not heard back from. Please share your opinions on these schools and options; any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Acceptances:
Thomas M. Cooley Law School
Florida Coastal School of Law
Phoenix School of Law

Conditional Acceptances (Must complete summer program):
New York Law School – Summer Online AAMPLE Program

Waitlists:
University of San Francisco
Thomas Jefferson School of Law
Barry University School of Law

No. Don't go to any of these. Retake

rinehart27

Postby rinehart27 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:22 am

Your grammar is too good for this to be real.

Regardless, the general consensus is not to go to a school with the hopes of transferring. only go if you wouldnt mind graduating.

I don't always agree with the "retake/ don't go" sentiment on here, but for this I would seriously consider other options outside of law school.

chem

Postby chem » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:30 am

rinehart27 wrote:Your grammar is too good for this to be real.

Regardless, the general consensus is not to go to a school with the hopes of transferring. only go if you wouldnt mind graduating.

I don't always agree with the "retake/ don't go" sentiment on here, but for this I would seriously consider other options outside of law school.

Literally the same thought went through my head.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:39 am

I hope this is fake, but if not: you really shouldn't go to any of these law schools. Look at lawschooltransparency.com for these schools. See the insanely low number of people reporting salaries? That's bc they're not employed. Only 33% of Thomas Jefferson passed the bar last year and you got wait listed there. What does that say about the other schools you got into? Also the summer programs are pretty much designed for people to fail so definitely don't do that. If you're real I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you really should study for the LSAT again and retake. I know you might have shitty job prospects right now but going to one of these schools could actually make your prospects worse.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:04 am

Please don't go....

Also, please tell us your stats.

If you have a really crappy GPA perhaps this is the best you can do but if it's just a crappy LSAT, retake!!!!

And I rarely feel this way but that list of schools is not one where you should be setting your sights. Especially not ITE.

ilawyer202

Postby ilawyer202 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:16 am

Due to unfortunate circumstances, my LSAT score was a 144 and undergraduate GPA 3.40. Strong softs (PS and letters of rec).

I am currently looking for other options (internships, temporary employment, which are hard to find at the moment) in the event that I truly decide not to enter law school this upcoming fall semetser, although that is what I would prefer.

I have taken a 5-week intensive summer business law course before that modeled a 1L class and I passed with a B. Having also taken two others, one in Torts and another in Contracts, I am sure I can be in the top 5% of the class at any school I attend, at least considering the classes I would take first semester. This is why I am considering taking the transfer-route to a higher ranked school. Still debating and open to feedback to ensure an educated decision.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:19 am

Transfer cycles are very unpredictable. Put it this way, if you go this fall, you're going to graduate (presumably with some debt) and are going to have a hard time finding employment.

Use the time to prepare for the LSAT, sit out the cycle and try again next year with a better LSAT score go to a T1 and improve your odds of finding employment considerably.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:27 am

ilawyer202 wrote:Due to unfortunate circumstances, my LSAT score was a 144 and undergraduate GPA 3.40. Strong softs (PS and letters of rec).

I am currently looking for other options (internships, temporary employment, which are hard to find at the moment) in the event that I truly decide not to enter law school this upcoming fall semetser, although that is what I would prefer.

I have taken a 5-week intensive summer business law course before that modeled a 1L class and I passed with a B. Having also taken two others, one in Torts and another in Contracts, I am sure I can be in the top 5% of the class at any school I attend, at least considering the classes I would take first semester. This is why I am considering taking the transfer-route to a higher ranked school. Still debating and open to feedback to ensure an educated decision.

I wouldn't bank on your business law course being an accurate predictor of your law school success. Was the class curved like a true law school class, or was it like any other grade-inflate undergrad course? Top 5% is quite a guarantee; not saying it won't happen, but there's a lot of hard-working, smart people in LS, and god forbid you have a bad day when you take your final. Retake is TCR.

Postby 20130312 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:27 am

ilawyer202 wrote:I am sure I can be in the top 5% of the class at any school I attend

No.

ilawyer202 wrote:decide not to enter law school this upcoming fall semetser

Yes.

FWIW, I voted Cooley because I've never actually seen it listed as an option in one of these polls.

Tadatsune

Postby Tadatsune » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:31 am

Since you seem to be a real person:

3.4 is a very respectable GPA. 144, however, is not a viable LSAT score.

If you really want to be a lawyer, you need to take a year off and raise your LSAT into the 160s. You can do this with extensive practice and retakes. People who initially scored in the 140s have been able to work their way to the 170s. I'm not saying this will be easy, but it is possible.

Otherwise, you should really consider not going to law school.

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:52 pm

So if Nova conditionally accepted him, and Barry waitlisted him, does this mean that Barry is in fact the better law school?

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Lol @ waitlisted at TJSL.

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:49 pm

I am starting to wonder if we are seeing a new age of better, more sophisticated, detection-proof flame...

Assuming not, OP why do you want to go to law school? What is it you want to do with your law degree?

danielhay11

Postby danielhay11 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:12 pm

Tadatsune wrote:Since you seem to be a real person:

If you really want to be a lawyer, you need to take a year off and raise your LSAT into the 160s. You can do this with extensive practice and retakes. People who initially scored in the 140s have been able to work their way to the 170s. I'm not saying this will be easy, but it is possible.

^This is very good advice. A 160 is completely doable and will radically transform your career opportunities. Even a score in the mid- to high-50s will get you into a respectable T2 or lower T1.

Also, even assuming your summer preview course is an accurate approximation of the demands of a law school course, a B does not translate to top 5%; at most law schools, that's about the median and below the median at many. So even if you were able to replicate your performance in all 5 of your first semester classes, you'd still be unable to transfer.

notstevedoocy

Postby notstevedoocy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:31 pm

This thread has troll written all over it.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:32 pm

danielhay11 wrote:
Tadatsune wrote:Since you seem to be a real person:

^This is very good advice. A 160 is completely doable and will radically transform your career opportunities. Even a score in the mid- to high-50s will get you into a respectable T2 or lower T1.

Also, even assuming your summer preview course is an accurate approximation of the demands of a law school course, a B does not translate to top 5%; at most law schools, that's about the median and below the median at many. So even if you were able to replicate your performance in all 5 of your first semester classes, you'd still be unable to transfer.

Not to mention the fact that the curves at the worst schools (i.e. Cooley) are supposed to be the toughest of them all with many of their students failing out completely.

Transferring is never a good route to pursue unless you are going somewhere you wouldn't mind staying.

For example: Oh, I got into BC law but I think if I do really well I might try transferring to Harvard but if I don't I'd be totally and completely happy staying at BC Law for the three years.

Otherwise, going somewhere with your mind set on transferring day 1 might be setting yourself up for failure.

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:34 pm

Don't go. Going to these schools is a horrible idea.

notstevedoocy

Postby notstevedoocy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:35 pm

If this is legitimate, I will echo the sentiments of everyone else. Your GPA (3.4) is solid. More than 50% of the Tier 1 law schools will take your best LSAT score. Study your ass off, learn the test, get that score up, and apply next cycle.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:36 pm

Do not attend any of these schools. You will be placed in unbearable debt, and will have no way of paying it off. Don't sign the death sentence of your future. Say no to them. If becoming a lawyer really means that much to you, and it truly is your goal, then direct that effort and desire to the LSAT. Raise your score at least 15 points, and then you will have some viable options.

ilawyer202

Postby ilawyer202 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:58 pm

That is a viable option, to retake the LSAT, perhaps this upcoming June, and decide to reapply to schools early-action in October.

One concern here is, are applicants that have been denied previously frowned upon in the readmission process?

Also, would it be necessary to request new recommnedation letters or reuse the ones I already have considering they are from very reputable and respected officials?

flem

Postby flem » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:58 pm

ilawyer202

Postby ilawyer202 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:05 pm

flem: Funny guy eh... How old are we? You making a mockery of the forum and serious questions concerns me; you'll probably end up as one of those lawyers that doodle Simpsons characters during a court case and end up with a horrid reputation of failed attempts to serve justice. Shameful.

Thank you to those that are actually serious about posts.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:19 pm

ilawyer202 wrote:

One concern here is, are applicants that have been denied previously frowned upon in the readmission process?

Don't know, but I doubt it hurts you. Others here have applied twice and can better explain.

ilawyer202 wrote: Also, would it be necessary to request new recommnedation letters or reuse the ones I already have considering they are from very reputable and respected officials?

Well, who are these officials? If they're not former professors or employers, get new ones. If they are, that's fine.

ilawyer202

Postby ilawyer202 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:26 pm

cinephile wrote:
Well, who are these officials? If they're not former professors or employers, get new ones. If they are, that's fine.

Yes, they are solely professors and employers, seeing as some have moved up in rank, it may be difficult to request new recommendations. I believe I read somewhere that recommendations can be reused as long as they are in the LSAC system. Sound about right?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”