NYU $ v. UVA$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sports
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:17 pm

NYU $ v. UVA$$

Postby sports » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:44 pm

Hey guys, I am trying to decide between attending NYU with ~35,000 in scholarships v. UVA & Duke with ~75,000. I also am waiting to hear from Columbia. Unless I get into Columbia, I think I am pretty much deciding between NYU and UVA. I would be happy working in NYC or DC and I am interested in a variety of law, but I am not at all interested in corporate law. I'd prefer to work in something like civil, international human rights, clerkship, federal govt, ect... I could see myself potentially working big law after graduation, but this definitely isn't a dream/passion of mine. I realize this list isn't very narrowed down. Anyway, I'd really appreciate any feedback/recommendations that you have. Thanks.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: NYU $ v. UVA$$

Postby Bronck » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:47 pm

If you're not interested in corporate law and could go either way on biglaw, might as well take the money at UVA.

AriGoldButNicer
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: NYU $ v. UVA$$

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:54 pm

Ehh how old are you? I'm weary of making a choice on a school based off what you think you want in college. I love uva, but in this scenario I'd take nyu for only 40k more tuition.

sports
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:17 pm

Re: NYU $ v. UVA$$

Postby sports » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:00 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:Ehh how old are you? I'm weary of making a choice on a school based off what you think you want in college. I love uva, but in this scenario I'd take nyu for only 40k more tuition.


I'm coming straight out of undergrad, so I definitely realize that my priorities can change.

AriGoldButNicer
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: NYU $ v. UVA$$

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:02 pm

sports wrote:
AriGoldButNicer wrote:Ehh how old are you? I'm weary of making a choice on a school based off what you think you want in college. I love uva, but in this scenario I'd take nyu for only 40k more tuition.


I'm coming straight out of undergrad, so I definitely realize that my priorities can change.

When u get married, have real responsibilities and realize how little good a single person can actually do, you may want big law to just be the best husband/father and give up on being a hero. I'd take nyu for the slightly better options. Really you can't go wrong with either of these though.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: NYU $ v. UVA$$

Postby Bronck » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:04 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:
sports wrote:
AriGoldButNicer wrote:Ehh how old are you? I'm weary of making a choice on a school based off what you think you want in college. I love uva, but in this scenario I'd take nyu for only 40k more tuition.


I'm coming straight out of undergrad, so I definitely realize that my priorities can change.

When u get married, have real responsibilities and realize how little good a single person can actually do, you may want big law to just be the best husband/father and give up on being a hero. I'd take nyu for the slightly better options. Really you can't go wrong with either of these though.


WTF?

User avatar
Tadatsune
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: NYU $ v. UVA$$

Postby Tadatsune » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:55 pm

Realize that a few years of biglaw is often a gateway to other things.

Also, do not make any decision without visiting these schools first.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: NYU $ v. UVA$$

Postby bk1 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:00 pm

So with interest... UVA at 155k debt at graduation vs NYU at 205k debt at graduation? I'd say this definitely leans UVA but don't think NYU is completely crazy.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: NYU $ v. UVA$$

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:53 pm

That's still a ton of debt at UVA, which last I checked is not a school with a good LRAP. (Could have changed recently; I do mean "last I checked.") For OP's interests, that should be a top priority.

User avatar
Tadatsune
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: NYU $ v. UVA$$

Postby Tadatsune » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:19 pm

NYU does have a good LRAP, I believe.

AriGoldButNicer
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: NYU $ v. UVA$$

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:10 pm

Tadatsune wrote:Realize that a few years of biglaw is often a gateway to other things.

Also, do not make any decision without visiting these schools first.

I think visiting is important but overrated. The classes are the same, the staff is always really nice at any top school and the buildings are pretty. Sure, girls may be hotter at one but this can just be a random yr. You can really only know you'll like it by living there. Honestly, you'll be better informed if you just live in the town (village or charlottesville) for a week, go to the campus bars, supermarkets, gym, etc.

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: NYU $ v. UVA$$

Postby dixon02 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:18 pm

I got to UVA and love it, but in your situation and given what you want to do, I think NYU is the better option. The difference in $$ is not huge, but NYU has a very strong public service rep and a great LRAP (I believe). If you're committed to going the PI route, then the $$ is not nearly as big a difference as the LRAP.

AriGoldButNicer
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: NYU $ v. UVA$$

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:25 pm

dixon02 wrote:I got to UVA and love it, but in your situation and given what you want to do, I think NYU is the better option. The difference in $$ is not huge, but NYU has a very strong public service rep and a great LRAP (I believe). If you're committed to going the PI route, then the $$ is not nearly as big a difference as the LRAP.

I fell in love with uva the first block from my greyhound bus. I was just like what a town, what people. And south bend I was turned off by how dumb the woman at walgreens was (my first human interaction there). However, i tried to remember not all charlottesville are hot blonde and they won't all wide eye smile at me, and that not every cashier in south bend will struggle with the math equation 99 cents times two.

AriGoldButNicer
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: NYU $ v. UVA$$

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:29 pm

The one exception was Iu bloomington. Maybe it's cause of the personality of someone who'd be a splitter (likely to be smart but not a tight ass), but that place is shining with quality of life.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: NYU $ v. UVA$$

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:00 am

I don't think 40k is too much to spend on the differences between the two schools. Also, NYU's LRAP would help cover the difference if you don't go the biglaw route. I would visit both schools and see which one you like more.

sports
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:17 pm

Re: NYU $ v. UVA$$

Postby sports » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Thanks everyone for the input, I really appreciate it

enzo66
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:06 am

Re: NYU $ v. UVA$$

Postby enzo66 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:27 pm

I made this exact same decision a few years ago (even down to the same scholarship amounts). When I visited both, I liked UVA a lot more, primarily because of the environment. The other posters are right: both are really good options. I'd visit both and see which one you like better. I don't find the NYU/LRAP reason all that powerful because UVA has a pretty decent program as well.

PM me if you'd like to chat more.

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: NYU $ v. UVA$$

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:10 am

Oova sounds better than NYU for the money, IMO.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SweetTort and 2 guests