Need a little TLS help on choices and decisions...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
TLS_noobie
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Need a little TLS help on choices and decisions...

Postby TLS_noobie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:32 pm

Hey all,

My cycle is nearing completion and I am happy with the way it went but after lurking on TLS for quite a while now I am starting to second guess my performance. The gloom and doom on TLS can be very depressing and I recognize that a lot of it is 0L/1L conjecture but there is also a lot of credited, real-world experience talking. So, with that being said, I want to try and get as much data/real-world experience as I can from the feedback I get.

My story is this: 167/3.3 from top ranked public university in a technical major. I originally got a 160 on the LSAT last year and then retook and received a 167 in october 2011. I was PT'ing 169-173 for about the 2 weeks before the test and so a 167 was disappointing but I recognized that there is usually a +/-3 margin for error on the real deal versus practice tests. And so, my cycle began. I am now rounding completion of the cycle and these are the schools I am looking at that I have been admitted to: Boston C, Boston U, Notre Dame. I am still waiting for a few responses from other schools that may place higher on my own ranking system than the aforementioned but for now, these 3 schools are my top considerations.

Debt: I am not too worried about debt because I do have money saved up for this. I am getting 25k/year from Notre Dame and I have yet to receive scholly info from BC or BU but am hoping it is similar. I am able to pay for almost the rest of the law school tuition from my savings (probably need to get a small bridge loan to cover living).

Goals: I want to work in corporate biglaw and this is the source of my worry. I want to work in a large city (Boston, Chicago, NYC, LA, SF, etc.) but I have no significant ties to any one city. My wife is out of country right now but will hopefully be working in one of these cities so that she can be considered a tie (but the timeline for this is still up in the air). A few years back it seems that ND, BC, and BU would have been just fine for biglaw placement but now ITE it seems T14 or don't go according to TLS. Even though biglaw is my goal, I am okay with midlaw too (but midlaw's existence and its specifics are rarely mentioned so I am unsure about salary-levels for such firms).

So, what should I do? I have already retaken the LSAT once. The option I am thinking of pursuing is: seat deposit for whichever school I would be happy with going to (be it ND, BC, or BU)->retake LSAT in june->if 170+ then try again next cycle->if less than 170 then go to school I have already chosen. Sitting out a cycle will be tough for me though since I have no job lined up right now and responsibilities to my family. We are prepared for 3 years so that I can get through law school, but 4 years would be stretching it if I were to sit out until next cycle. So the questions: Given I will be class of 2015, are prospects for biglaw/midlaw from ND/BC/BU so bad that it is just a waste of 3 years or are they improving to the point where 2015 will make the investment feasible? Would retaking in June be of any benefit to me (especially considering I have already retaken once)? What would I need to do in order to make sure I can get biglaw/midlaw corporate firm job upon graduation from ND/BC/BU? I understand that banking on transfering up as a 0L is a bad thing to do, but is that another option?

This is my situation, I understand this is long and probably boring, but for those gracious enough to read it please lend me your experiences/data, I would really appreciate this.

Thanks a lot,
TLS_noobie

[EDIT]
just noticed how this is a TL;DR thread...sorry, but I tried to break it down as simple as possible :)

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Need a little TLS help on choices and decisions...

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:36 pm

All solid law schools. Go to the one that offers the largest scholarship with reasonable, if any, stipulations.

User avatar
TLS_noobie
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: Need a little TLS help on choices and decisions...

Postby TLS_noobie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:18 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:All solid law schools. Go to the one that offers the largest scholarship with reasonable, if any, stipulations.


I am glad to hear this. I feel the same way. Stipulations for ND are as long as I stay in good standing, but I have yet to hear back from BC or BU. I am still waiting to hear from USC and Fordham. I am not sure about USC but with Fordham I feel like I will be admitted. Although, I have heard that Fordham is stingy with scholly and it is also very expensive, so not sure if BC/BU are all that worse than Fordham as far as employment prospects are concerned. I have heard that BC/BU are very strong in the Boston area and sometimes have some reach into NYC as well.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest