UVA $$ vs NYU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA $$ or NYU?

NYU (sticker)
36%
UVA ($60,000-Total)
60%
Duke($67,500-Total)
5%

Total votes: 42

LtSmith

New

UVA $$ vs NYU

Post by LtSmith » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:35 pm

UPDATE: I have discovered that I originally overestimated my undergrad debt and it's around ~$50k which is still obviously quite large, but more manageable than my previous number. Also, I went to both ASWs and while I definitely enjoyed UVA quite a bit (the double kegger/BBQ on the law school grounds is a great way to say hello) I have to say that NYU was just damn impressive. UVA has probably the nicest law students I've met thus far, but NYU's overall feel just made me fall in love with the place. I'm leaning back towards NYU, but I was wondering if anyone had anything new to add given the slightly changed circumstances. Also Duke offered me a $67,500 scholly which I thought would make the poll more interesting (though I have very little desire to attend).

So I've been accepted to both UVA and NYU, which is great since they were my 4th and 2nd choices, respectively. Still waiting to hear back from Harvard, but that's a pipe dream and got held at Columbia which I am not optimistic about.

Anyways, the choice I am faced with seems to be either NYU or UVA and I am having a rough time choosing. UVA is a great school, and since I am an in-state student and receiving a $20,000 a year scholarship it is looking very attractive financially. NYU, however, is a bit of a dream school for me since I love the city and am not really looking forward to spending 3 years in slightly-rural Virginia. However, I'll be paying sticker there (unless they're willing to negotiate against UVA, which I don't see happening) and I already have substantial debt from undergrad loans. NYU will end up costing about $225,000 at the end of the day vs. $137,000 at UVA, so there's a big difference.

I want to practice BigLaw in NYC at the end of the day and I can clearly see where NYU has an advantage in that regard. But is it worth the extra $100,000? I would definitely rather spend 3 years in the Village than Charlottesville. The job prospects seem similar for both schools, but there still the draw of the city for me. I've visited both, and plan on doing so again for their ASWs coming up which I hope will give me some more insight.

Am I crazy to be leaning to NYU in this situation? Anyone else choose NYU in similar circumstances want to weigh in?
Last edited by LtSmith on Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: UVA $$ vs NYU

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:49 pm

Depends upon what you mean by "substantial debt from undergrad". Assuming that that phrase means $80,000 or more, then you are crazy to take on another $225,000 of educational debt for law school. This isn't med school; there are no guarantees.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Clearly NYU would be better for biglaw in NYC, but I really don't think it's 100,000 dollars better, and you have undergrad debt, so I really think you need to take the scholarship. UVA places very well in NYC. My opinion is that your preference for living in NYC rather than C-ville goes out the window when we're talking about such a huge difference in money, too.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:00 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:Clearly NYU would be better for biglaw in NYC, but I really don't think it's 100,000 dollars better, and you have undergrad debt, so I really think you need to take the scholarship. UVA places very well in NYC. My opinion is that your preference for living in NYC rather than C-ville goes out the window when we're talking about such a huge difference in money, too.
This.

Depending on how much undergrad debt you have, you'll probably be at $300,000 or more debt coming out of NYU once you factor in interest.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:00 pm

Charlottesville isn't really "rural Virginia." You said you're in-state, have you been to UVa? Remember, this is only 3 years of your life and it's not like you'll be out exploring every inch of NYC if you go to NYU. School is school and I'm assuming a library is a library. That's where you'll spend a lot of time. You should at least come to the UVA for admitted students day.

I also don' think NYU gives you hugely superior chances at NYC Big Law. Because so many people from UVA want DC, NYC interviews aren't as packed. I had a lot of success with NYC interviews.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:04 pm

With substantial undergrad debt you have no business paying NYU's sticker price. That would be completely asinine.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:07 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Charlottesville isn't really "rural Virginia." You said you're in-state, have you been to UVa? Remember, this is only 3 years of your life and it's not like you'll be out exploring every inch of NYC if you go to NYU. School is school and I'm assuming a library is a library. That's where you'll spend a lot of time.
Not everyone sleeps in the library like you, Joeshmo.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:29 pm

rad lulz wrote:With substantial undergrad debt you have no business paying NYU's sticker price.

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:42 pm

UVa.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LtSmith

New

Post by LtSmith » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:41 pm

Thanks guys. This is basically what I have been looking for. UVA isn't really a bad choice at all for me since I've always been fairly partial to it. I think the ASWs will really help me figure life out, though I'm definitely leaning back towards UVA. I am still worried about my BigLaw prospects, though I feel like that this is a concern for everyone outside the T3.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:12 pm

PS: love the meme in the OP.

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:18 am

Most people who got into NYU probably got some $$ at UVA, so you wouldn't be crazy for turning down UVA because it's obviously been done before, but I say go with where you feel most comfortable in the end.

thatkid

Bronze

Post by thatkid » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:22 am

Also, if you get NYC Biglaw, you'll get to move there with an actual salary and feeling ~$100,000 richer. Looking at apartments and imagining daily life at NYU has really taken a toll on the draw it had for me. It doesn't look as glamorous/ fun through the eyes of a debt-burdened student.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

commoner

New

Post by commoner » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:24 am

uva its plenty strong in ny

enzo66

New

Post by enzo66 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:35 pm

commoner wrote:uva its plenty strong in ny
+1

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:44 pm

NOW THAT UVA IS RANKED SEVEN AND NYU IS SIX YOU'D BE A FOOL NOT TO TAKE THE MONEY AT UVA

LtSmith

New

Post by LtSmith » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:15 am

joemoviebuff wrote:NOW THAT UVA IS RANKED SEVEN AND NYU IS SIX YOU'D BE A FOOL NOT TO TAKE THE MONEY AT UVA

My thoughts exactly. Thank god US News helped me make this tough decision so much easier. Their well-reasoned rankings would never steer me wrong.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lessthanjake

New

Post by lessthanjake » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:41 am

I would choose UVA.

I was thinking about making this same choice earlier in my cycle (but was very very lucky to get into Harvard) so I have thought about it a lot.

I dont think UVA really places significantly worse than NYU, certainly not $100,000 worse.

Bear in mind also that Charlottesville is actually really nice. It's certainly nothing like NYC, but its not rural either. It's more akin to a very nice suburb. That might not be your style, of course, but it's a nice place, and UVA Law students do seem to have a lot of fun there.

LtSmith

New

Post by LtSmith » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:41 am

In light of new info, any new opinions?

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:44 am

I'd take the money. No question.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:45 am

joemoviebuff wrote:I'd take the money. No question.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:23 am

Why have you ruled out Duke ? The answer may help you decide between Virginia & NYU if the cost difference isn't enough of a factor to you.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:16 pm

NYU student here. The schools just aren't far enough apart to justify that much money, in my opinion. I think it's a little overblown to say "school is school and a library's a library" – NYU students definitely have plenty of time to enjoy being in the city, law school is only that big a grind for a couple of months out of the year – but it's also not always the greatest place to be a student. You've got only a marginally worse shot at ending up in NYC after UVA if you want it so might as well just come later, IMO.

hdsoc

Bronze

Post by hdsoc » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:26 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:NYU student here. The schools just aren't far enough apart to justify that much money, in my opinion. I think it's a little overblown to say "school is school and a library's a library" – NYU students definitely have plenty of time to enjoy being in the city, law school is only that big a grind for a couple of months out of the year – but it's also not always the greatest place to be a student. You've got only a marginally worse shot at ending up in NYC after UVA if you want it so might as well just come later, IMO.
+1

I'm starting at NYU next year, but have compelling personal reasons that require to be in the City for the next 3 years; otherwise, I would definitely have wanted to go to UPenn or UVA where cost of living is lower. NYC will still be there after law school, and with the money you've saved at UVA you won't have to live in a 7th floor walk up in the east village with 5 roommates. NYC is great, but it's even better when you're not broke.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:06 pm

If Duke and UVA are comparably priced, pick your favorite of those 2.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”