What would you do? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JurisDoctorate

Bronze

What would you do?

Post by JurisDoctorate » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:10 pm

I am graduating from my (weak) undergrad in a few months and I was hoping to go K-JD but now I'm not so sure. I don't want to leave Chicago, it's all I've known since I came to this country as a young sapling; but I'd hate to ruin my career options over fear of being a girl all alone in a new environment. Here's the low-down:

GPA: 3.91
LSAT: 167, 166

Loyola Chicago: Accepted with 21k/year and 2.3 GPA stip
DePaul: Accepted with 30k/year and 3.2 GPA stip
Northwestern: Held
Notre Dame: Wait list
Penn: Wait list
Michigan: Rejected
Berkeley: Rejected
Chicago-Kent: TBD
UChicago: TBD
Harvard: TBD
Duke: TBD
Virginia: TBD

I'm thinking of sitting out a cycle and killing the June LSAT (and/or the October LSAT, if need be).

I just feel I'm a fringe case with my numbers and I should just spend the next few months (where I'm only taking a couple of classes) to really study for the LSAT and max out my potential (I have several 173+ PT's).

What do you think?

Antrim

Silver

Re: What would you do?

Post by Antrim » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:13 pm

Everyone will say retake.

FinallyGoing

Bronze

Post by FinallyGoing » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:27 pm

If you don't get into NU, work for a year or two, study to break 172, re-take, apply ED....WIN.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:54 pm

I suspect that there is an obvious non-numbers related weakness in your application based on your results (Michigan should have waitlisted you) so far. Try to get someone in your area who is experienced with the law school application process to review your essays. It may, however, be due to your recommendations. If you reapply next cycle, try to get new recommendation writers.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:49 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I suspect that there is an obvious non-numbers related weakness in your application based on your results (Michigan should have waitlisted you) so far. Try to get someone in your area who is experienced with the law school application process to review your essays. It may, however, be due to your recommendations. If you reapply next cycle, try to get new recommendation writers.
I agree - did you do do something weird with your personal statement?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:55 pm

Antrim wrote:Everyone will say retake.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:10 pm

JurisDoctorate wrote:I am graduating from my (weak) undergrad in a few months and I was hoping to go K-JD but now I'm not so sure. I don't want to leave Chicago, it's all I've known since I came to this country as a young sapling; but I'd hate to ruin my career options over fear of being a girl all alone in a new environment. Here's the low-down:

GPA: 3.91
LSAT: 167, 166

Loyola Chicago: Accepted with 21k/year and 2.3 GPA stip
DePaul: Accepted with 30k/year and 3.2 GPA stip
Northwestern: Held
Notre Dame: Wait list
Penn: Wait list
Michigan: Rejected
Berkeley: Rejected
Chicago-Kent: TBD
UChicago: TBD
Harvard: TBD
Duke: TBD
Virginia: TBD

I'm thinking of sitting out a cycle and killing the June LSAT (and/or the October LSAT, if need be).

I just feel I'm a fringe case with my numbers and I should just spend the next few months (where I'm only taking a couple of classes) to really study for the LSAT and max out my potential (I have several 173+ PT's).

What do you think?
I wouldn't rush into law school, it'll be there next year. Sitting out a cycle and killing the June/Oct. LSAT is the right choice in my opinion. Plus, i've never heard anyone regret taking a year off and taking a break from school and getting some life experience. I went K-JD and while I don't regret it, in retrospect I wish I had taken a year or two off before law school. Getting a year or two of work experience will also make you a strong candidate for Northwestern (if you retake and up your LSATL a few points). Since you really want to stay in Chicago, it really makes sense.

With that GPA, you have a great shot at Chicago too if you can up your score 4 points. It's been beaten to death on TLS, but it's absolutely correct. There's pretty much no reason not to retake. You've had several 173+ PTs, you can definitely score that on the real deal. Study hard and good luck.

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:15 pm

I'd retake and enjoy the rigor of UChicago. :)

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:15 pm

Did you apply late?

How could the OP find out if she had bad LOR's? Could she speak to one of the schools who accepted her and ask them if the LOR's were a strong part of their application?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:16 pm

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am

Retake with that great GPA, but what were you thinking when you made this list? Looks like you're thinking about the Midwest? You have like hardly any T15-30 schools listed. No UIUC, but you applied to schools like Kent and Depaul?

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:26 am

THose are some weak-a$$ options with your stats. Work 2-3 years, take the LSAT, reapply....You should require no less than a full-ride at a top 25.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”