The reality of NYU at Sticker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ahnhub

Silver

Re: The reality of NYU at Sticker

Post by ahnhub » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Actually if anything c/o 2013 seems to have done very well for themselves. Many current 2Ls have voiced their opinion that it's back to "Biglaw for everyone" at T-14. (This is almost certainly an exaggeration, but it's so much better than what people were saying for the past two years that I'm absolutely convinced there really was a big change. Many T-14 schools probably have 80% or 85% + doing summer SAs.)

If I thought legal hiring for c/o 2011 and 2012 in any way resembled the new normal, I would not have applied to law school.

Tadatsune

Bronze

Post by Tadatsune » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:50 pm

ahnhub wrote:Actually if anything c/o 2013 seems to have done very well for themselves. Many current 2Ls have voiced their opinion that it's back to "Biglaw for everyone" at T-14. (This is almost certainly an exaggeration, but it's so much better than what people were saying for the past two years that I'm absolutely convinced there really was a big change. Many T-14 schools probably have 80% or 85% + doing summer SAs.)

If I thought legal hiring for c/o 2011 and 2012 in any way resembled the new normal, I would not have applied to law school.
The recovery is fragile, though. Who knows where the legal market will be in 2 years...

NJPitcher

Bronze

Post by NJPitcher » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:01 pm

So... for how long do you all anticipate having a professional career? If you're breaking even after 5, 10 or 15 years, as long as you're then making more money and were anticipating still being in the workforce, it seems (by seems I mean does) like it pays.

How about this - where would we be if banks/lenders were as short-sighted as this thread? Nobody would ever get a mortgage, that's for sure.

Chucky21

Bronze

Post by Chucky21 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:05 pm

ahnhub wrote:Actually if anything c/o 2013 seems to have done very well for themselves. Many current 2Ls have voiced their opinion that it's back to "Biglaw for everyone" at T-14. (This is almost certainly an exaggeration, but it's so much better than what people were saying for the past two years that I'm absolutely convinced there really was a big change. Many T-14 schools probably have 80% or 85% + doing summer SAs.)

I would say that this prob sounds correct. When you take out people who actually choose to do PI and those who just completely underperform in interviews there is an excellent chance of getting biglaw from the T 14. Just have to keep on doing the stuff that got you into the T 14 in the first place, and not doing the stuff that would have stopped you.

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:26 pm

And I absolutely do not intend to sound like I think Biglaw is assured at a T-14 or T-6 or even T-3 school. Part of the calculus has to be whether you think you've got what it takes to make a legal career work if for whatever reason you miss out on the Biglaw train. Are you going to have a panic attack or mope around and think your life is over, or are you confident you have the hustle to make it work, even with 200K in debt staring you in the face? (For myself, I decided I come out on the right side of the answer--barely.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:07 pm

izy223 wrote:
Disclaimer- these numbers are not changing my decision barring something crazy happening tonight at 12 it will remain a t6 school just the numbers are much worse.
If this is OP I still say UT with a scholly is a better choice. NYC isn't the place for westerners anyway. Unlike Texas, NYC really is a whole nother country.

But, if u still go NYU, good luck to you. U will most likely be fine. Most are, seriously.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:37 am

spleenworship wrote:
izy223 wrote:
Disclaimer- these numbers are not changing my decision barring something crazy happening tonight at 12 it will remain a t6 school just the numbers are much worse.
If this is OP I still say UT with a scholly is a better choice. NYC isn't the place for westerners anyway. Unlike Texas, NYC really is a whole nother country.

But, if u still go NYU, good luck to you. U will most likely be fine. Most are, seriously.
Everybody loves NYC, what you talking about =D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”