Michigan(70k debt) v NYU(110k debt) for West Coast

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan v NYU

Michigan (70k debt)
42
58%
NYU (110k debt)
30
42%
 
Total votes: 72

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Michigan(70k debt) v NYU(110k debt) for West Coast

Postby skers » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:53 pm

aekea wrote:
Bronck wrote:
OP, what are your preferences for jobs?
CA big law > any big law (i.e., NYC) > CA any job ?
CA big law > CA any job > any big law (i.e., NYC)?

If the former, then choose NYU. If the latter, choose Michigan, since it's cheaper.

Also, keep in mind that you would have to endure 3 years in the Midwaste of Michshitgan, while NYU gives you the opportunity to live in Manhattan.


My preference would be CA any job > NY big law. Within reason though. I don't want to be an ambulance chaser in CA.

As to the location, I don't know how I feel about living in a college town. I'm not against it, but I've always lived in big cities so it would be something of a change. I also can't say that I know I'd enjoy living in New York, because I've never lived there and the last time I visited was 6 years ago.


In that case, work on an LOCI to Berkeley. Did you get any cash from USC/UCLA?

User avatar
Tadatsune
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: Michigan(70k debt) v NYU(110k debt) for West Coast

Postby Tadatsune » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:54 pm

aekea wrote:
Bronck wrote:
OP, what are your preferences for jobs?
CA big law > any big law (i.e., NYC) > CA any job ?
CA big law > CA any job > any big law (i.e., NYC)?

If the former, then choose NYU. If the latter, choose Michigan, since it's cheaper.

Also, keep in mind that you would have to endure 3 years in the Midwaste of Michshitgan, while NYU gives you the opportunity to live in Manhattan.


My preference would be CA any job > NY big law. Within reason though. I don't want to be an ambulance chaser in CA.

As to the location, I don't know how I feel about living in a college town. I'm not against it, but I've always lived in big cities so it would be something of a change. I also can't say that I know I'd enjoy living in New York, because I've never lived there and the last time I visited was 6 years ago.


Have you actually visited these schools? It might make a huge difference in your decision making process.

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Michigan(70k debt) v NYU(110k debt) for West Coast

Postby aekea » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:02 pm

Tadatsune wrote:
aekea wrote:
Bronck wrote:
OP, what are your preferences for jobs?
CA big law > any big law (i.e., NYC) > CA any job ?
CA big law > CA any job > any big law (i.e., NYC)?

If the former, then choose NYU. If the latter, choose Michigan, since it's cheaper.

Also, keep in mind that you would have to endure 3 years in the Midwaste of Michshitgan, while NYU gives you the opportunity to live in Manhattan.


My preference would be CA any job > NY big law. Within reason though. I don't want to be an ambulance chaser in CA.

As to the location, I don't know how I feel about living in a college town. I'm not against it, but I've always lived in big cities so it would be something of a change. I also can't say that I know I'd enjoy living in New York, because I've never lived there and the last time I visited was 6 years ago.



Have you actually visited these schools? It might make a huge difference in your decision making process.


I haven't visited, but I will in the next couple weeks. I wanted to see if people thought one of these options was overwhelmingly better than the other before I visit and potentially develop a personal preference for a school that would put me in a significantly worse position upon graduation. It seems like there's no objectively right answer here, so I feel okay making my decision in large part on how much I like the schools when I visit.

User avatar
Tadatsune
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: Michigan(70k debt) v NYU(110k debt) for West Coast

Postby Tadatsune » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:04 pm

aekea wrote:
Tadatsune wrote:
aekea wrote:
Bronck wrote:
OP, what are your preferences for jobs?
CA big law > any big law (i.e., NYC) > CA any job ?
CA big law > CA any job > any big law (i.e., NYC)?

If the former, then choose NYU. If the latter, choose Michigan, since it's cheaper.

Also, keep in mind that you would have to endure 3 years in the Midwaste of Michshitgan, while NYU gives you the opportunity to live in Manhattan.


My preference would be CA any job > NY big law. Within reason though. I don't want to be an ambulance chaser in CA.

As to the location, I don't know how I feel about living in a college town. I'm not against it, but I've always lived in big cities so it would be something of a change. I also can't say that I know I'd enjoy living in New York, because I've never lived there and the last time I visited was 6 years ago.



Have you actually visited these schools? It might make a huge difference in your decision making process.


I haven't visited, but I will in the next couple weeks. I wanted to see if people thought one of these options was overwhelmingly better than the other before I visit and potentially develop a personal preference for a school that would put me in a significantly worse position upon graduation. It seems like there's no objectively right answer here, so I feel okay making my decision in large part on how much I like the schools when I visit.


Yeah, I don't think there is any danger of that. You'll be fine either way.

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Michigan(70k debt) v NYU(110k debt) for West Coast

Postby aekea » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:05 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
In that case, work on an LOCI to Berkeley. Did you get any cash from USC/UCLA?


Berkeley ranks their wait-list so a LOCI doesn't do much (so they say), but I'm definitely going to ride out the wait-list. I didn't apply to USC or UCLA. I lived in L.A. for my undergrad and don't want to move back there for law school.

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Michigan(70k debt) v NYU(110k debt) for West Coast

Postby skers » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:08 pm

aekea wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
In that case, work on an LOCI to Berkeley. Did you get any cash from USC/UCLA?


Berkeley ranks their wait-list so a LOCI doesn't do much (so they say), but I'm definitely going to ride out the wait-list. I didn't apply to USC or UCLA. I lived in L.A. for my undergrad and don't want to move back there for law school.


Too bad. I would suspect UCLA/USC have better Norcal employment than either NYU or Michigan.

dooood
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:45 am

Re: Michigan(70k debt) v NYU(110k debt) for West Coast

Postby dooood » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:16 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
aekea wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
In that case, work on an LOCI to Berkeley. Did you get any cash from USC/UCLA?


Berkeley ranks their wait-list so a LOCI doesn't do much (so they say), but I'm definitely going to ride out the wait-list. I didn't apply to USC or UCLA. I lived in L.A. for my undergrad and don't want to move back there for law school.


Too bad. I would suspect UCLA/USC have better Norcal employment than either NYU or Michigan.

I don't think so. LA and San Fran are 400 miles apart and very different markets. There's been debate about this in other threads, but firms will definitely dig deeper into N and M. Given the geographical range of target markets for Mich at least, I think OP would be better served by going to either N or M over UCLA/USC

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Michigan(70k debt) v NYU(110k debt) for West Coast

Postby aekea » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:32 pm

dooood wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
aekea wrote:
I didn't apply to USC or UCLA. I lived in L.A. for my undergrad and don't want to move back there for law school.


Too bad. I would suspect UCLA/USC have better Norcal employment than either NYU or Michigan.

I don't think so. LA and San Fran are 400 miles apart and very different markets. There's been debate about this in other threads, but firms will definitely dig deeper into N and M. Given the geographical range of target markets for Mich at least, I think OP would be better served by going to either N or M over UCLA/USC

I'm not sure if they have better NorCal employment. I knew quite a few soon to be graduates from these schools when I was living in L.A. that were struggling to get any sort of job offer. Several people personally advised me against going there. I know the most frustrated job hunters are probably the most vocal, but given my personal preference against living in SoCal for another three years, I just wasn't too tempted to apply.

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Michigan(70k debt) v NYU(110k debt) for West Coast

Postby skers » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:03 pm

dooood wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
aekea wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
In that case, work on an LOCI to Berkeley. Did you get any cash from USC/UCLA?


Berkeley ranks their wait-list so a LOCI doesn't do much (so they say), but I'm definitely going to ride out the wait-list. I didn't apply to USC or UCLA. I lived in L.A. for my undergrad and don't want to move back there for law school.


Too bad. I would suspect UCLA/USC have better Norcal employment than either NYU or Michigan.

I don't think so. LA and San Fran are 400 miles apart and very different markets. There's been debate about this in other threads, but firms will definitely dig deeper into N and M. Given the geographical range of target markets for Mich at least, I think OP would be better served by going to either N or M over UCLA/USC


Yeah, I'm not sure either way. All I've seen for specific comparisons is outdated data for the v100. I think really outside of Stanford/Berk biglaw in the Bay Area is pretty hard to come by.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Michigan(70k debt) v NYU(110k debt) for West Coast

Postby ph14 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:31 pm

Michigan. I don't think NYU places 40k better on the west coast than Michigan.

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Michigan(70k debt) v NYU(110k debt) for West Coast

Postby skers » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:33 pm

47 people landed firm jobs in the Bay Area from Michigan from 08-10. Two of those classes would still be in what still be considered boom hiring in terms of when they did OCI. That's 4% of those three combined classes. I'm doubting it's much different at NYU. I'd get accostomed to the idea of broadening your job choice to include LA if you really want CA. As far as the choice between the two goes 1. Visit and decide which fits you better 2. Think about where you'd prefer to be if you are at/below median (less debt at Michigan and their LRAP isn't just confined to PI v. better chances of big law at NYU).

User avatar
Geoffrey
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:19 pm

Re: Michigan(70k debt) v NYU(110k debt) for West Coast

Postby Geoffrey » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:20 am

The job prospects vs. cost of attendance debate here could go either way. In this case, I'd say visit both schools and make a decision based on what you want to be doing for the next three years, not afterwards.

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Michigan(70k debt) v NYU(110k debt) for West Coast

Postby JustE » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:23 am

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/c ... lWFCzasJ/0

^save every dime you can. this scared the shit out of me.

enzo66
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:06 am

Re: Michigan(70k debt) v NYU(110k debt) for West Coast

Postby enzo66 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:32 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
Tadatsune wrote:Can you negotiate with Mich for more $$$? Also, if you are facing a deadline tell Columbia so you can get your award faster.

Otherwise, I'd pick NYU.


No. NYU is only superior to MVPB in NYC. In fact, an argument could probably be made that some of these schools are superior to NYU in particular regions of the country - Michigan in California being one such example.

Take Michigan and don't look back. Just think of it as $40,000+ you'll never have to pay back.


+1

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Michigan(70k debt) v NYU(110k debt) for West Coast

Postby 20130312 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:57 pm

NYU now that Mich is TTT.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Michigan(70k debt) v NYU(110k debt) for West Coast

Postby Bronck » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:57 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:NYU now that Mich is TTT.


For reals. Only ranked 10? Oucccchh

User avatar
jk2011
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: Michigan(70k debt) v NYU(110k debt) for West Coast

Postby jk2011 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:00 am

InGoodFaith wrote:NYU now that Mich is TTT.


LOL.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Michigan(70k debt) v NYU(110k debt) for West Coast

Postby existenz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:33 am

I go to Michigan and I'm from CA. I'd say take Michigan. There just aren't that many students here targeting CA, and almost all of them (that I know) got jobs there.

That said, see what CLS offers and try to visit both schools.

User avatar
smokeylarue
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Michigan(70k debt) v NYU(110k debt) for West Coast

Postby smokeylarue » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:43 am

NYU because MVP tier has now become BVP.





*just a joke

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Michigan(70k debt) v NYU(110k debt) for West Coast

Postby 20130312 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:36 pm

smokeylarue wrote:NYU because MVP tier has now become BVP.





*just a joke


Anti-Mich trolling due to new rankings? Tso original on this page.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bcreid03, ponderingmeerkat and 7 guests