Need advice on which school is the best option

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I go to?

Toledo
No votes
Suffolk
40%
New England Law
20%
Chapman
20%
Michigan State
20%

Total votes: 5

crucible

Need advice on which school is the best option

Postby crucible » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:50 pm

Hi folks, I've been using this forum to find info on law schools for a bit now, and I would appreciate some advice on which school would be the best option. So far I got accepted to five schools: New England Law, Suffolk, Toledo, Chapman, and Michigan State (96). I also got waitlisted by Temple and Penn State. In addition, I am still waiting on four other schools to reply. I received an award letter from Toledo for 32k and New England gave me 20k. I'm not sure if Suffolk or Chapman will give anything and Michigan State is definitely not. I believe the tuition for all the schools are fairly similar. I'm interested in learning tax law or possibly international law if that's any help. I would also prefer to eventually live and work on the west coast or in New England where I have something resembling a network. Any ideas? Thanks.

bdole2

Re: Need advice on which school is the best option

Postby bdole2 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:12 am

You claim that you have been using this forum and yet you still ask for advice on these schools? You know what people are going to say: retake. And rightfully so.

Postby 071816 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:15 am

They're all sucky

Postby 20130312 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:21 am

I was skeptical when I saw the schools, but the nail in the coffin was definitely "international law."

Obvious troll is obvious.

crucible

Postby crucible » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:21 am

haha great input guys :lol:

padawanphil

Postby padawanphil » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:06 am

They're just trying to help you out. Taking on tons of debt to attend a school that offers little chance at even a decent job is just a bad decision. If you want people to tell you otherwise you're in the wrong place.

I'm guessing you're dead set on attending law school so I'd simply recommend that you attend the one that's in the area you'd like to practice which will leave you with the lowest debt upon graduation. I'd recommend looking at the median salary earned by graduates at the schools you're considering and taking a long hard look at that number in relation to your expected debt load. Good luck

Excellent117

Postby Excellent117 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:13 am

If you go to these schools, you will most likely end up working at a job that will pay you less than a job you could get with your undergraduate degree, if you even get one at all. On top of that low-paying job, you will also have $125k+ debt to repay (plus any undergraduate debt you still have left) with nothing to show for it.

So please, for yourself and your livelihood, retake or do not go to law school.

wfudeacons2005

Postby wfudeacons2005 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:16 am

If you really want to go this fall...

I'd try to get into Temple or use the 20K at New England Law (and maybe 32K at Toledo) to negotiate with Suffolk. That's what I did and they matched it to the dollar...send an e-mail to Dean Ellis, she was wonderful. While the above people are right, and these are both still significant risks at those prices, Temple does do reasonably well in Philly and Suffolk (assuming you could get the 20K) has a good reputation in and around Boston. Neither place will make you a fortunate, unemployment is very possible, but you could also have a reasonably nice life if you are comfortable with living in those immediate areas.

That said, if neither of those two things pan out...even I would be skeptical of going.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”