Emory vs. William & Mary

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
goorioles
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:49 pm

Emory vs. William & Mary

Postby goorioles » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:04 pm

Hey all,
I'm interested in environmental law or IP law (I haven't decided yet). I'm also deciding between mid-law, big-law, or going in-house after graduation (those are preferable, but I'm open).

Emory and W&M have each offered me 20k/year, but W&M has cheaper tuition to begin with. In addition my graduation present from my parents will be $60k in graduate educational funds, so I'd leave W&M with about $35k in debt or so, and I'd leave Emory with about $75k in debt.

One concern is that Emory is currently on the decline and is having problems placing graduates. Can anyone speak to this?

Also, where I live (williamsburg vs. atlanta) does not matter to me insofar as environment (in terms of things to do, nightlife, etc., though cost of living might be of interest).

Any suggestions which I should choose?

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Emory vs. William & Mary

Postby flem » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:12 pm

Well where do you want to pracitce, herp derpington?

josh43299
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: Emory vs. William & Mary

Postby josh43299 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:32 pm

goorioles wrote:Hey all,
I'm interested in environmental law or IP law (I haven't decided yet). I'm also deciding between mid-law, big-law, or going in-house after graduation (those are preferable, but I'm open).

Emory and W&M have each offered me 20k/year, but W&M has cheaper tuition to begin with. In addition my graduation present from my parents will be $60k in graduate educational funds, so I'd leave W&M with about $35k in debt or so, and I'd leave Emory with about $75k in debt.

One concern is that Emory is currently on the decline and is having problems placing graduates. Can anyone speak to this?

Also, where I live (williamsburg vs. atlanta) does not matter to me insofar as environment (in terms of things to do, nightlife, etc., though cost of living might be of interest).

Any suggestions which I should choose?


Deciding between biglaw/"mid-law"/in-house is a fairly pointless intellectual exercise at this point. I would go W&M with that low amount of debt and given the possibility of D.C. with your environmental or IP preferences. It is unlikely that you would land a gig with the government, but it would be helpful to be closer to those opportunities. You would be closer to gov't contractors as well, which could conceivably open up doors for in-house later with IP in particular. The government contractor IP maze can be fairly difficult and landing an internship (if involved with Tech Transfer) with say the Dep't of Energy/Defense/Dep't Homeland Security/etc. could make you attractive later on for in-house. I am a 0L and lack a large amount of knowledge about job prospects for W&M though.

goorioles
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:49 pm

Re: Emory vs. William & Mary

Postby goorioles » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:33 pm

I'd prefer to practice in a city. DC or Atlanta--I don't have a preference between the two. I'm curious as to which school has a better overall reputation.

I'm also waiting to hear back from Vandy, but I doubt I'll get a financial offer that good from Vandy.

American Psycho is my favorite movie of all time.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Emory vs. William & Mary

Postby flem » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:36 pm

goorioles wrote:I'd prefer to practice in a city. DC or Atlanta--I don't have a preference between the two. I'm curious as to which school has a better overall reputation.

I'm also waiting to hear back from Vandy, but I doubt I'll get a financial offer that good from Vandy.



Emory is probably your best bet then as DC competition is fierce. Vandy with $ would be even better, they're often generous with aid from what I understand.

goorioles wrote:American Psycho is my favorite movie of all time


Image

User avatar
sinisterkid
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Emory vs. William & Mary

Postby sinisterkid » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:16 pm

flem wrote:Well where do you want to pracitce, herp derpington?


Thank you for the lol.

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Emory vs. William & Mary

Postby eandy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:23 pm

flem wrote:
goorioles wrote:I'd prefer to practice in a city. DC or Atlanta--I don't have a preference between the two. I'm curious as to which school has a better overall reputation.

I'm also waiting to hear back from Vandy, but I doubt I'll get a financial offer that good from Vandy.



Emory is probably your best bet then as DC competition is fierce. Vandy with $ would be even better, they're often generous with aid from what I understand.

Atlanta is a slaughterhouse,too. I think Emory would give a lot more opportunities for nice govt internships during the school year (lots of fed stuff in ATL). Fierce competition for Atlanta jobs, though. You're competing (realistically) with Emory, UGA, UVA, Duke, vandy, UF, Georgia state, and UNC for scraps.

splittinghairs
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:56 pm

Re: Emory vs. William & Mary

Postby splittinghairs » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:56 pm

goorioles wrote:Hey all,
I'm interested in environmental law or IP law (I haven't decided yet). I'm also deciding between mid-law, big-law, or going in-house after graduation (those are preferable, but I'm open).

Emory and W&M have each offered me 20k/year, but W&M has cheaper tuition to begin with. In addition my graduation present from my parents will be $60k in graduate educational funds, so I'd leave W&M with about $35k in debt or so, and I'd leave Emory with about $75k in debt.

One concern is that Emory is currently on the decline and is having problems placing graduates. Can anyone speak to this?

Also, where I live (williamsburg vs. atlanta) does not matter to me insofar as environment (in terms of things to do, nightlife, etc., though cost of living might be of interest).

Any suggestions which I should choose?


Yeah DC is tough, but Atlanta is tough too. So seems to me like these two are peer schools. When in doubt take the cheaper option. If it were 20k difference or less, that would be so small that u should just pick whichever u like more during visits. But 40k is a significant amount of difference that I'd think its prudent to go with W&M.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: maddawg2020, Mhr and 2 guests