UVA v. Penn v. Michigan v. Vandy

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
yupaws

UVA v. Penn v. Michigan v. Vandy

Postby yupaws » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:02 pm

want to do biotech IP law. Undergrad in biochem.

75k at vandy, 60k at WUSTL, no money from MVP. Does MVP really place that much better than vandy to justify the debt? thoughts?

Doorkeeper

Re: UVA v. Penn v. Michigan v. Vandy

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:55 pm

Yes, unless you want to live in the South or St. Louis.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:57 pm

For New York City, probably. For the south, no.

Also, don't go to WUSTL.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:00 pm

I'd say retake, reapply. Penn makes sense considering you have a decent shot at biglaw NYC to pay back those loans, but 210k + interest in loans can't be fun brah.

But I vote Penn.

yupaws

Postby yupaws » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:08 pm

I think I'm pretty interested in working in the South. So that's why I was thinking Vandy was a fair choice

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:12 pm

yupaws wrote:I think I'm pretty interested in working in the South. So that's why I was thinking Vandy was a fair choice

Do you have ties to the south? If so, Vandy with market would probably be a better choice than M or P. If you to maximize your absolute chances of getting a biglaw job, M or P would be better because they place so well in New York.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:16 pm

duckmoney wrote:
yupaws wrote:I think I'm pretty interested in working in the South. So that's why I was thinking Vandy was a fair choice

Do you have ties to the south? If so, Vandy with market would probably be a better choice than M or P. If you to maximize your absolute chances of getting a biglaw job, M or P would be better because they place so well in New York.

You (yupaws) have to ask yourself the following: is going to MVP worth the extra 75k + interest I would have to pay? That would be approximately 3 more years of paying off debt if you went into biglaw.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:19 pm

[quote="yupaws"]I think I'm pretty interested in working in the South. So that's why I was thinking Vandy was a fair choice[/quote]

Vanderbilt end of story.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:20 pm

Biotech IP law in the South ? Penn may be your best bet to have access to NYC, Boston & DC firms.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:17 am

well first consider how far your undergrad degree will take you. It is generally known that biosciences IP seek advanced degrees.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:20 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Biotech IP law in the South ? Penn may be your best bet to have access to NYC, Boston & DC firms.

Emory, Georgia Tech, University of Florida, University of South Florida, UNC Chapel Hill, Duke?

Plenty of med research going on in the south.

itoito

Postby itoito » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:07 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Biotech IP law in the South ? Penn may be your best bet to have access to NYC, Boston & DC firms.

That post made me sad :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Triangle_Park

--LinkRemoved-- (See the list of achievements, notable patents, etc)

"The region includes more than 30 public biotech companies and more than 200 private biotech companies. North Carolina (#3), Georgia (#7) and Florida (#10) are among the top ten U.S. biotech-centers"

"Large regional funds with a life sciences focus include HIG Ventures (Miami, FL), managingover $3.0 billion, Intersouth Partners (Durham, NC), managing $780 million, Noro-Moseley Partners (Atlanta, GA), managing $580 million, Pappas Ventures (Research Triangle Park, NC),managing $230 million, and the Aurora Funds (Durham, NC), managing $200 million."

itoito

Postby itoito » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:09 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:well first consider how far your undergrad degree will take you. It is generally known that biosciences IP seek advanced degrees.

This really depends on the quality of your undergrad degree. Are you published? Did you complete a research thesis? If you published a few papers, or have some notable research experience, BS is probably more than enough.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”