out of T14 --> no ties --> not worth it? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ypark87

New

out of T14 --> no ties --> not worth it?

Post by ypark87 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:30 am

Just curious. Been reading a lot of posts on people asking which school to choose and everyone seems to be saying if you don't have any ties to the state or region, you should forget about going there. Is this true for every situation where your law school does not have a national reach? Thoughts?

crit_racer

Silver

Re: out of T14 --> no ties --> not worth it?

Post by crit_racer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:33 am

No, I think the general consensus is that some lower ranked schools, while still regional, are not going to care as much about ties to the area (see Fordham). Hastings, UCLA, USC, UIUC, etc are probably similar. Basically, I think that the bigger the city, the less they care about ties (though I think some of those cities do care about ties more than NY but less so than, say, Milwaukee)

ypark87

New

Post by ypark87 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:01 pm

crit_racer wrote:No, I think the general consensus is that some lower ranked schools, while still regional, are not going to care as much about ties to the area (see Fordham). Hastings, UCLA, USC, UIUC, etc are probably similar. Basically, I think that the bigger the city, the less they care about ties (though I think some of those cities do care about ties more than NY but less so than, say, Milwaukee)
So, big school, don't care about ties -- smaller regions, yes?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:57 pm

ypark87 wrote:Just curious. Been reading a lot of posts on people asking which school to choose and everyone seems to be saying if you don't have any ties to the state or region, you should forget about going there. Is this true for every situation where your law school does not have a national reach? Thoughts?

I go to a regional T2 in a small parochial market. My class has several out of staters in it, and what it comes down to is this: If they are personable, political, and willing to network (a lot!)... OR... they got top 20%, then they are doing fine. As to the rest of them- unlike us they aren't getting nearly as many job offers, because they don't know people and have little in common with the people in the market.

So, FWIW, there ya go.

ypark87

New

Post by ypark87 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:13 am

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=179831

Comment on this or read if you can -- it's about Kentucky + no ties = good? bad? Currently consensus seems to be that it's terrible if you don't have ties.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:38 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”