Deferring admission to FIU LAW .. thoughts?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
suep

Deferring admission to FIU LAW .. thoughts?

Postby suep » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:59 am

Hi, I tried to read as much as possible to see if my question has been previously asked but could not find a suitable answer.

My question is, has anyone dealt with FIU and deferring admission for the following year? If anyone has a similar experience (maybe not FIU) in postponing entry to law school, please share. Is deferring generally a bad idea?

My husband was accepted into FIU. Due to a oversight on his part he is missing a very important piece of paperwork to qualify for FL resident although we have been living in S.FL for over a year. This puts a dent on our finances since financial aid wont cover a big part of the out of state tuition. We are a young family with kids, and own a home. We're trying to watch our finances for the next three years so that law school will be a smooth ride (financially).

I'm a newbie here and lurked as much as possible but couldn't find the answer. Sorry if this has already been asked.

flem

Re: Deferring admission to FIU LAW .. thoughts?

Postby flem » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:06 am

suep wrote:Hi, I tried to read as much as possible to see if my question has been previously asked but could not find a suitable answer.

My question is, has anyone dealt with FIU and deferring admission for the following year? If anyone has a similar experience (maybe not FIU) in postponing entry to law school, please share. Is deferring generally a bad idea?

My husband was accepted into FIU. Due to a oversight on his part he is missing a very important piece of paperwork to qualify for FL resident although we have been living in S.FL for over a year. This puts a dent on our finances since financial aid wont cover a big part of the out of state tuition. We are a young family with kids, and own a home. We're trying to watch our finances for the next three years so that law school will be a smooth ride (financially).

I'm a newbie here and lurked as much as possible but couldn't find the answer. Sorry if this has already been asked.

If he's considering taking a year off to establish residency, retake the LSAT in that year and go to Florida or FSU with instate tuition.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:09 am

FIU is almost always a bad choice, and it's made worse by the fact that you have a young family. FIU tuition money would be better spent on your family than the sub-par job prospects you'd get from FIU. Retake is TCR

suep

Postby suep » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:25 am

flem - thank you. I thought that he should retake the LSAT too. As far as FSU and 'better' law schools out there, we have to stay in S. Florida.

I know FIU is not up on the list for desired schools. FIU was the best choice for our family considering I'll be the bread winner and have to stay near my job in Miami. It seems the consensus (especially on this forum) is if you're not going to a top tier school , then you might as well forget studying law altogether. Is it just based on how much money you'll be making out the gate?

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:32 am

If you absolutely have to stay in Miami, I would just turn down FIU (have him say that he just can't go to law school at this time w/ a young family and that he'll reapply next year) and retake. Next year, you can reapply to FIU w/ instate and hopefully a scholarship-worthy LSAT. Also apply to Miami- job prospects out of UM aren't great but are better than FIU. It's very risky having to pay for both schools because many graduates are unemployed/underemployed. Look up both schools' reporting statistics on lawschooltransparency.com

Good luck!

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:33 am

I deferred, but not to FIU. Was a great decision for me... Allowed me a year to pay off my car, save up some cash. My situation was a bit atypical, though. My school wanted me to defer because they had too many splitters and needed to bump up their uGPA so they actually allowed me to defer (and granted a bump) in my scholarship. Typically, schollies do not get deferred though. If your situation truly is:

1) attend FIU as out-of-state for substantially more money OR
2) attend FIU one year later in-state for substantially less money

Choice 2 seems the best. But make sure your dude is aware of the investment he is making and the likely payoff. Also, UMiami should be a geographical option. He might as well go ahead an re-take and see if he could go there and compare the costs.

suep

Postby suep » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:40 am

goldenflash19 and tommyk- thank you!! very helpful information.

flem

Postby flem » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:58 am

suep wrote:flem - thank you. I thought that he should retake the LSAT too. As far as FSU and 'better' law schools out there, we have to stay in S. Florida.

I know FIU is not up on the list for desired schools. FIU was the best choice for our family considering I'll be the bread winner and have to stay near my job in Miami. It seems the consensus (especially on this forum) is if you're not going to a top tier school , then you might as well forget studying law altogether. Is it just based on how much money you'll be making out the gate?

Then retake and go to Miami with money if you need to stay in the area. It's not based on how much money you'd be making immediately (though if you're going into a large amount of debt, that's party of it), but whether you can even secure a job requring a JD at all.

If he's taking a year off anyway, then he might as well retake. He could do better and secure a full scholarship to FIU or have money at UM. If he doesn't do any better, you're no worse off. Nothing to lose!

Edit: I'm really not trying to come off like a dick here, but the South Florida market is in shambles. Your husband needs to put himself in the best position possible.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:10 pm

suep wrote:flem - thank you. I thought that he should retake the LSAT too. As far as FSU and 'better' law schools out there, we have to stay in S. Florida.

It's more a function of how much debt you have. There is a strong possibility your husband will be unable to find a full-time lawyer job out of FIU. In that case you are really in a pickle, because it's going to be harder to find a non-law job with a law degree. And the juice on that debt starts to run whether he is employed or not.

But even if your husband is employed he will most likely be making between 35-45K. Not a bad salary for someone out of undergrad in this economy. But when you tack on 100,000 (FIU out of state tuition+other costs+accrued interest) and run that debt at 7.9% (the rate for grad plus loans), it's 7,900 in interest payments alone, per year. So your husband's 35K salary could become around 27K (minus taxes). That's a pretty low salary for three years in law school. When you factor in that he won't be bringing in any income for 3 years, and if he is taking out loans to cover cost of living (I assumed not), it's a huge investment with a very low payoff. If you have a young family, it's going to be difficult to get a mortgage or save for the future with that kind of debt.

Now maybe the Florida legal market will bounce back and your husband's salary will go up considerably in a few years. But I wouldn't attend law school on that assumption. South Florida is hugely saturated with young lawyers. There are 11 FL law schools all pumping graduates into FL plus the people trying to come back from out of state. FL is a large state, but unlike other large markets like NYC, DC, LA, it doesn't have the business activity or government investment to support a large number of jobs for young lawyers.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:42 pm

as long as you're deferring permanently, it is a very good thought.

JerichoJohnny

Postby JerichoJohnny » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:27 pm

I've pitted UM vs. FIU in my mind, as I've been accepted at UM and Held at Miami. Between the two it seems like, even given the incredibly more expensive option that is UM, the payoff has a much better chance of occuring. My research on this board and other sources has led me to greatly question the feasibility of attending FIU for those without legal jobs already lined up (most of us). I am from North Florida, and Miami has a solid reputation here, due to a large alumni base and a successful athletics program. With FIU its more FI-Who? and I really do worry that this will translate to the legal community and jobs as well.

But to the OP, I absolutely would wait until you can get in-state. The principal attraction of FIU is its low tuition, excluding all the other factors.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”