(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TMC116

Re: Worried about Michigan's employment numbers

Postby TMC116 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:23 pm

apropos wrote:
TMC116 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
apropos wrote:Agreed. Some of the reasons for Michigan remaining a top law school despite having a single major market have historically probably been true. However, as the legal economy increasingly moves to larger firms in larger cities, and as the economy is bad, and the legal economy is terrible, a school like Michigan in the middle of hell without a strong main market is going to suffer more than similar schools.

Plus, there is the rustbelt problem. Everything in the rustbelt is deteriorating. A law school's prestige will carry it longer than the area's economy, but slowly and steadily this will start to wear. They ascended to high prestige when the area was an economic boom region.

Michigan's reputation is incredibly strong among the elderly, but not as strong among the younger people. This gets averaged out now. The elderly will die first.

Plus, in terms of social change, our generation is more urban than past generations. I think Michigan will have an increasingly difficult time attracting top students when they compete against elite, but not t14 schools like UT-Austin, in a large city that is only growing, and UCLA, which is a desirable place to live. The population center is moving Southwest.

In the not-too-distant future, I would guess that UT-Austin and UCLA will replace Georgetown and Michigan in the T14.

I don't really know much about Michigan though. Just seeing a trend.

lolwut

ETA: Damn, scooped.

aha! Victory!

But seriously, Michigan has never been outside the Top-10. Predicting that they fall out of the top 14 is crazy. In the last 3 years, their ranking has gone UP.

Don't confuse lay prestige with legal prestige. Rankings are based on reputation in the legal community. They are static at the very top. Michigan will stay in the top 10.

You're right. Was hoping for a better response, because I these "static" arguments are silly, but Michigan isn't in trouble.

I stand by the Georgetown part fully though.

But, again, not many schools at the very top plummet in the rankings. The largest i can remember was Berkeley falling to 13 some years ago.

One year of NLJ250 data shouldn't be overvalued, especially b/c it was collected in the worst part of the recession.

That said, I agree that Georgetown could drop outside the T14 in coming years because of their large class size and consistently poor NLJ250 placement (relative to other T14s). At some point, they may begin to hover around the T14, falling out one year and cracking it the next.

Real Madrid

Re: Worried about Michigan's employment numbers

Postby Real Madrid » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:28 pm

apropos wrote:
thexfactor wrote:
chimp wrote:Mishitgan

hey i'm the first one to come up with michSHITgan

see my old posts...

I think the location of the university of Michshitgan has finally caught up to the school. Located right in the middle of the rust belt close to one of the most desolate cities in the US.

Agreed. Some of the reasons for Michigan remaining a top law school despite having a single major market have historically probably been true. However, as the legal economy increasingly moves to larger firms in larger cities, and as the economy is bad, and the legal economy is terrible, a school like Michigan in the middle of hell without a strong main market is going to suffer more than similar schools.

Plus, there is the rustbelt problem. Everything in the rustbelt is deteriorating. A law school's prestige will carry it longer than the area's economy, but slowly and steadily this will start to wear. They ascended to high prestige when the area was an economic boom region.

Michigan's reputation is incredibly strong among the elderly, but not as strong among the younger people. This gets averaged out now. The elderly will die first.

Plus, in terms of social change, our generation is more urban than past generations. I think Michigan will have an increasingly difficult time attracting top students when they compete against elite, but not t14 schools like UT-Austin, in a large city that is only growing, and UCLA, which is a desirable place to live. The population center is moving Southwest.

In the not-too-distant future, I would guess that UT-Austin and UCLA will replace Georgetown and Michigan in the T14.

I don't really know much about Michigan though. Just seeing a trend.

You seriously don't have an effing clue what you're talking about, do you? This is one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen on TLS. And that's saying something.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”