Brooklyn ($$$) v Cardozo ($$$) v American

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Canadian in Law School 2012

American
No votes
Brooklyn (w/ $35,000)
5%
Cardozo (w/ $30,000)
95%

Total votes: 19

Munchkin318

Brooklyn ($$$) v Cardozo ($$$) v American

Postby Munchkin318 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:52 pm

I know some people on here don't look extremely favorably on these schools but these are my choices and I could really use some help. I'm from Canada so all the advice I get is about Canadian schools and some US advice would be extremely useful!
Cardozo is offering $30,000/year no stips.
Brooklyn is offering $35,000/year, top 80%
No money from American yet, not sure if their done giving out schollys yet though.

Any help would be much appreciated!

thexfactor

Re: Brooklyn ($$$) v Cardozo ($$$) v American

Postby thexfactor » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:00 pm

Munchkin318 wrote:I know some people on here don't look extremely favorably on these schools but these are my choices and I could really use some help. I'm from Canada so all the advice I get is about Canadian schools and some US advice would be extremely useful!
Cardozo is offering $30,000/year no stips.
Brooklyn is offering $35,000/year, top 80%
No money from American yet, not sure if their done giving out schollys yet though.

Any help would be much appreciated!

I would go to law school in Canada. While I heard Canada is getting bad, it isn't nearly as bad as the US. Your chances of gaining good meaningful employment ie Biglaw/big gov/midlaw/fed clerk/good public interest from those schools are extremely low. IE ~20%.

If you still want to go to a US school then I would retake.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:02 pm

Between those three schools, its definitely Cardozo. At least the 90k from Cardozo should ease the debt burden a bit.

Also, Cardozo is marginally better than Brooklyn too in terms of job prospects.

What's you GPA/LSAT Combo? Depending on how it is, retake could make a lot of sense.

StarLightSpectre

Postby StarLightSpectre » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:10 pm

Of these three options I would take Dozo.

But like what I've told other posters (and what I doing myself) is to pay the deposit at your best option and retake in June. At worst you're out a few hundred dollars. You get a few more points and you can renegotiate scholly or get off a waitlist, a big jump in your score and you can just reapply next year.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:44 pm

What were your numbers? What do you want to do after graduation?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:55 pm

If those are your only options, go to Dozo.
Dozo is better than Brooklyn and the difference is small.
American is not worth paying sticker

Also, ride out the waitlists and see if any more options open up.
Fordham is better than Dozo but might not be worth the extra $100k.
Same with Boston College.

What are your long term goals?
What kind of work do you want to do?
Which city do you want to end up in?

Munchkin318

Postby Munchkin318 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:05 pm

Thanks for the advice!
Stats are 3.73/164.
I'm not a big fan of the Canadian education system hence me wanting to go to school out of country. Looking more into international human rights type law for the future. I did an internship with an anti-trafficking ngo this summer and really liked that type of work. Ideally would like to end up in DC or NYC.
Generally I'm not a huge fan of the idea of taking time off to reapply next year but I would maybe as a last resort only.
Also, waitlisted at W&L and Fordham. Any tips on bettering chances of getting of WL? Had a 4.0 in my final semester of undergrad (last semester) so hopefully that helps.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:20 pm

Munchkin318 wrote:Thanks for the advice!
Stats are 3.73/164.
I'm not a big fan of the Canadian education system hence me wanting to go to school out of country. Looking more into international human rights type law for the future. I did an internship with an anti-trafficking ngo this summer and really liked that type of work. Ideally would like to end up in DC or NYC.
Generally I'm not a huge fan of the idea of taking time off to reapply next year but I would maybe as a last resort only.
Also, waitlisted at W&L and Fordham. Any tips on bettering chances of getting of WL? Had a 4.0 in my final semester of undergrad (last semester) so hopefully that helps.

That kind of work makes me think PI or NGO.
In that case, keep your costs down (do not pay sticker)
Go to Cardozo

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:33 pm

Munchkin318 wrote:Thanks for the advice!
Stats are 3.73/164.

Unfortunately the job prospects in international human rights law are non-existent from these schools. It is one of the most oversold, oversaturated areas of law. An internship will not substitute for real work experience (I reviewed about 100 resumes of law students at my school this summer and I'd say a good 20 or 30 had internships with NGOs.) If you want to work in this area of law you will absolutely need to retake and go to a T14, preferably HYS.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but going to any of these schools even with tuition covered will not get you where you want to go.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”