Go to law school or wait another year? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

UNC
48%
Richmond
10%
Another school (listed below)
No votes
Wait a year
43%

Total votes: 21

GSCgold

New

Go to law school or wait another year?

Post by GSCgold » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:55 am

Long time lurker, near first-time poster here looking for some advice. So, I cast a wide net this cycle and applied to 13 schools all over the board and have essentially narrowed it down to two: UNC and University of Richmond. I recently re-took the LSAT in February and got a 164 (originally 160) and I have a 3.54 GPA. I have an estimated 20k scholarship from Richmond and am anticipating being accepted by UNC hopefully in the next month or so (in-state, at GPA median and above LSAT median they just take FOREVER with admissions). I'm pretty set on attending one of these schools in the fall UNLESS the 164 makes it worth it to wait and apply to some other schools - I'm thinking this is not the case though?

Quick, general background of me- lived in Virginia a good chunk of my life outside Richmond, went to college in North Carolina and have been working this past year in NC. I have lots of networks both in VA and NC that would be great for securing employment after graduation. I want to stick around either Virginia or North Carolina at least for the first good while after graduating. As a 0L, PI seems the most appealing to me. Slightly debt averse, but who isn't? There aren't any other schools in the area that I should be going for with a 164/3.54, right?

The COA at each school would be roughly the same with Richmond at about $30k and UNC at $35k. Is the answer "Both are regional schools. Go to the one where you'd like to live after school." or does UNC afford me a little more opportunity than Richmond? I would much rather be in a mid-size city such as Richmond, but my "network" is a little stronger in the Durham/Chapel Hill area and UNC has a stronger reputation.

So after the wordiness I guess it comes down to is one of these two schools an obvious choice or are they more or less peers in the sense that they are both very regional? Should I wait and reapply to different schools next cycle? I know the re-take response is inevitable, but would prefer some advice about the two schools. Thanks!

My cycle thus far:

Temple- In, OOS, No $
Villanova- In, Full tuition scholarship
Vermont (sent b/c initially tunnel-vision on environmental law)- In, $25,00/year
L & C- In, $8,000/year
Denver- In, $26,000/year
Chicago Kent- In, $15,00/year
Loyola Chicago- In, $12,00/year
Pitt- In, OOS, $8,000/year
W&M- Pending, OOS (would get in-state after 1L)
UNC- Pending, in-state
W&L- Waitlist
Brooklyn- Pending
Richmond- In, $20,000/year

About to start scholarship negotiation now with the new LSAT score and acceptances.
Last edited by GSCgold on Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mgb2543

New

Re: Go to law school or wait another year?

Post by mgb2543 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:45 pm

UNC. It's higher ranked and has way more name recognition. When in doubt, go to the higher ranked school. That's my advice

GSCgold

New

Post by GSCgold » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:02 pm

Any more opinions?

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:06 pm

You should make a poll and include the option of waiting another year and applying early somewhere else. I don't know enough about either school and your numbers to give you an opinion. But, more time off from law school is not necessarily a bad thing, more work experience can help you.

I think this is a good question and maybe some numbers experts will give you answers.

Can you list where you applied and were waitlisted or rejected?

GSCgold

New

Post by GSCgold » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:27 pm

sunynp wrote:You should make a poll and include the option of waiting another year and applying early somewhere else. I don't know enough about either school and your numbers to give you an opinion. But, more time off from law school is not necessarily a bad thing, more work experience can help you.

I think this is a good question and maybe some numbers experts will give you answers.

Can you list where you applied and were waitlisted or rejected?
Edited

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:52 pm

It seems like Nova with a full-ride is actually a pretty decent option if you were open to moving up north and to a bigger city. But, since you want to stay in the area and you have so many connections down there, I would say go to 1.) UNC or if not 2.) W&M or if not 3.) 20K at Richmond. The only school it looks like you are missing down there is Wake but if you get into UNC or W&M then it doesn't matter anyway. Only going off of what I've read on here and my time down south.

Most people will probably say retake and aim for the T-14. While they are probably right, I would love to have your options and I am going this fall.

GSCgold

New

Post by GSCgold » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:17 am

For those that voted to wait a year: Are you implying wait, retake and reapply or is there a school or two that you think I missed this cycle that I should wait to apply to next cycle with my current stats?

Thanks for the responses and votes so far!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”