Tulane vs. Loyola New Orleans

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Tulane or Loyola?

Tulane
89%
Loyola New Orleans
11%

Total votes: 36

cdenicholas

Tulane vs. Loyola New Orleans

Postby cdenicholas » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:55 am

I've been accepted to both Tulane and Loyola: Loyola offered 35,000 per year w/ 2.5 stip. Tulane offered 25,000 per year with a 3.0 stip.

I am primarily interested in land use and real estate law, but I am not sure if I want to stay in LA forever. I definitely don't plan on leaving the southeast, though.

I am not really interested in working at a huge firm either.

Thanks to my GI Bill, I have no student debt thus far but I also live on pretty limited funds. Basically I have to decide between 60,000 in debt from Tulane or 9000 from Loyola. Any thoughts?

GeauxTigers7

Re: Tulane vs. Loyola New Orleans

Postby GeauxTigers7 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:50 am

I would personally choose Tulane in your situation. I am most likely going to LSU in the fall, but I am deciding between LSU and Loyola (got dinged from Tulane). Tulane is a much better school in my opinion and a degree from Tulane will give you a much greater chance at getting a job outside of SE Louisiana if you decide that you want to move. Alternatively, a Loyola degree would make it difficult to land a job outside of the New Orleans area from what I've seen/heard. I am just an 0L looking at schools in Louisiana as well, so take it for what it's worth. Good luck!

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:19 am

Tulane by far.

PM me if you have any questions about why.

RareAir

Postby RareAir » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Unless you have a full ride and a job gift wrapped and waiting for you, do not go to loyola.

LSU and Tulane are the only real options for LA law schools.

mgb2543

Postby mgb2543 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:44 pm

I'm from New Orleans. I wouldn't go to Loyola if they gave me a full ride. Tulane by far. And if you want to leave LA and stay in the Southeast, Tulane will give you far more opportunities. You're talking a T4 school vs. a top 40 school. Big difference

Wahoo1266

Postby Wahoo1266 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:44 pm

Also, think about what type of work you want to do. Tulane has the reputation for being much more challenging than Loyola because they concentrate on different areas of law. If you want to be a plaintiffs' attorney in New Orleans (concentrating on accidents), then Loyola is probably your best bet. If you want to work with contracts or corporate law, then you can only really get those opportunities from Tulane.

thisiswater

Postby thisiswater » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:12 pm

probably tulane, but that 3.0 is scaring me a little. What is the median and the top 1/3 there?

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:26 pm

thisiswater wrote:probably tulane, but that 3.0 is scaring me a little. What is the median and the top 1/3 there?

Median is 3.25. Roughly 80% of the class is above 3.0. You'll be fine.

thisiswater

Postby thisiswater » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
thisiswater wrote:probably tulane, but that 3.0 is scaring me a little. What is the median and the top 1/3 there?

Median is 3.25. Roughly 80% of the class is above 3.0. You'll be fine.

Okay, that's fine. Someone posted about a 2.9 median at another school so I thought reminding the OP to check would be smart.

Although getting them to drop stips. altogether would be even better.

Longhorn07

Postby Longhorn07 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:10 pm

I am a 5 year Tulane UG + Masters student. I am leaving the city to go to law school elsewhere in the fall, but I have many friends at Tulane and Loyola Law and know the market pretty well here. Here is my personal opinion on it.

Tulane is great, and the national reach is obviously better. While not T-14 by any means, Tulane has a lot of connections to the Northeast for some odd reason. If you put in the effort, you can make the Tulane degree pretty mobile. I have buddies doing summer associate jobs in NYC and DC this summer from Tulane.

Loyola, quite simply is underwhelming. I visited Friday, and what I'd heard from current students was pretty much confirmed. While everyone seemed nice and willing to help the students, it just isn't the same sort of professional, driven legal environment of higher ranked schools. HOWEVER, and this is a big caveat- if you want to work in New Orleans and you are sure that is your goal- go to Loyola. I have interned for firms here, and almost across the board they look to hire Loyola grads first because they know the students are committed to the market and will not necessarily look to move on after a couple of years. This may be different with say, Jones Walker, but from everything I have heard it is pretty much universally the case.

RareAir

Postby RareAir » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:57 am

Longhorn07 wrote: HOWEVER, and this is a big caveat- if you want to work in New Orleans and you are sure that is your goal- go to Loyola. I have interned for firms here, and almost across the board they look to hire Loyola grads first because they know the students are committed to the market and will not necessarily look to move on after a couple of years. This may be different with say, Jones Walker, but from everything I have heard it is pretty much universally the case.

While you may have an advantage as being seen as less of a flight risk, getting a firm job paying ~65k isn't going to be all that great when you are saddled with the outrageous debt that Loyola comes with. And that's if you are lucky enough to get a job.

LSU is the clear and easy choice for anyone who is dead set 100% staying in LA or nola. Tulane is also rock solid for LA and NOLA, but not for the price compared to LSU.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:32 pm

RareAir wrote:LSU is the clear and easy choice for anyone who is dead set 100% staying in LA or nola. Tulane is also rock solid for LA and NOLA, but not for the price compared to LSU.

I agree that LSU and Tulane are the obvious the better choices of the Louisiana based schools, but LSU is definitely not a good choice for New Orleans. While it does very well in Baton Rouge and various other locations around the state (Monroe and Shreveport), it doesn't carry very much weigh in New Orleans.

cdenicholas

Postby cdenicholas » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:10 pm

Thank you all for the insight! I am leaning toward Tulane at the moment, but the idea of moving to New Orleans is still giving me pause. I keep hearing horror stories about the crime there and after looking at the maps from NOPD I don't feel much better. That poor website can hardly display all the crimes in the last six months. Am I reading too much into this?

Funny that five years ago I was ready to go to Iraq and now I am a little girl, scared of living in New Orleans alone. I don't know what has come over me.

Wahoo1266

Postby Wahoo1266 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:01 am

Honestly, I would consider not going to either law school. If you didn't see, Tulane dropped out of the top 50 schools in the most recent US News rankings released yesterday (aka "the top tier"). From a national level, there is no way to tell how this drop will affect on-campus recruiting. From a local level, LSU and Tulane are now very close in ranking but very far apart in price. It would seem that more local talent would consider LSU who might not have previously considered applying there.

If you are having questions about the crime, it might be a sign to hold off on law school. Lots of tuition, but not a lot of jobs right now. The jobs in New Orleans are relatively low paying when you consider the debt and opportunity cost of three years of school. You are also on a track in law which caps your earning potential as a younger lawyer. Also, you can be analytical in many other jobs. Try business school.

Wahoo1266

Postby Wahoo1266 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:03 am

No reason to move to a city with lots of crime and low paying jobs. Go somewhere with low crime and high paying jobs. Better yet, don't go to law school at all…but still move to a city with low crime and high paying jobs.

pugilistjd

Postby pugilistjd » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:04 pm

Wahoo1266 wrote:Honestly, I would consider not going to either law school. If you didn't see, Tulane dropped out of the top 50 schools in the most recent US News rankings released yesterday (aka "the top tier"). From a national level, there is no way to tell how this drop will affect on-campus recruiting. From a local level, LSU and Tulane are now very close in ranking but very far apart in price. It would seem that more local talent would consider LSU who might not have previously considered applying there.

If you are having questions about the crime, it might be a sign to hold off on law school. Lots of tuition, but not a lot of jobs right now. The jobs in New Orleans are relatively low paying when you consider the debt and opportunity cost of three years of school. You are also on a track in law which caps your earning potential as a younger lawyer. Also, you can be analytical in many other jobs. Try business school.

I like how you suggest that Tulane's 4-place drop is huge, then describe a 28-place difference in ranking as "very close." The only tiers that matter in terms of ranking are T14 and maybe T20. No one cares about the T50.

cdenicholas

Postby cdenicholas » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:23 pm

Wahoo1266 wrote:No reason to move to a city with lots of crime and low paying jobs. Go somewhere with low crime and high paying jobs. Better yet, don't go to law school at all…but still move to a city with low crime and high paying jobs.

Wahoo1266 wrote:If you are having questions about the crime, it might be a sign to hold off on law school. Lots of tuition, but not a lot of jobs right now. The jobs in New Orleans are relatively low paying when you consider the debt and opportunity cost of three years of school. You are also on a track in law which caps your earning potential as a younger lawyer. Also, you can be analytical in many other jobs. Try business school.

Lots of flawgic going on in this response. I fail to see how having concerns about violent crime is "a sign to hold off on law school". Furthermore, how is going to business school going to help? Last time I checked, not all business schools are in good areas. With the exception of maybe healthcare jobs, the market is pretty shitty across the board. Your earning potential is capped by your abilities, or lack there of. I try not to put too much emphasis on USN rankings. They are about as inflated as the cost of an education.

stefanpdt

Postby stefanpdt » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:25 am

cdenicholas wrote:
Wahoo1266 wrote:No reason to move to a city with lots of crime and low paying jobs. Go somewhere with low crime and high paying jobs. Better yet, don't go to law school at all…but still move to a city with low crime and high paying jobs.

Wahoo1266 wrote:If you are having questions about the crime, it might be a sign to hold off on law school. Lots of tuition, but not a lot of jobs right now. The jobs in New Orleans are relatively low paying when you consider the debt and opportunity cost of three years of school. You are also on a track in law which caps your earning potential as a younger lawyer. Also, you can be analytical in many other jobs. Try business school.

Lots of flawgic going on in this response. I fail to see how having concerns about violent crime is "a sign to hold off on law school". Furthermore, how is going to business school going to help? Last time I checked, not all business schools are in good areas. With the exception of maybe healthcare jobs, the market is pretty shitty across the board. Your earning potential is capped by your abilities, or lack there of. I try not to put too much emphasis on USN rankings. They are about as inflated as the cost of an education.

wahoo is an obvious troll.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”