Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Pick one!

Villanova (full scholarship)
21
58%
Temple (cost about 6k a year)
7
19%
Boston College (Sticker)
7
19%
Fordham (Sticker)
1
3%
 
Total votes: 36

grovevilleroad
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:14 am

Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby grovevilleroad » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:44 am

Ok.

    Accepted to all but Fordham (waitlisted)
    2.0 stip at Villanova
    Top 50% stip at Temple
    Debt is a huge issue for me (already have 70k from undergrad as of now)
    Would love to practice in Philadelphia or NYC (probably prefer Philly, but not by much)
    Will not retake

Please share your opinions and reasons.

Thanks! :D
Last edited by grovevilleroad on Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gail
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby Gail » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:46 am

Villanova or don't go this year.

70k in UG? Man... That's a lot. Even more than me. I'm sorry you had to take that much out. I hope this works out for you!

grovevilleroad
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby grovevilleroad » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:50 am

Gail wrote:Villanova or don't go this year.

70k in UG? Man... That's a lot. Even more than me. I'm sorry you had to take that much out. I hope this works out for you!


That is how I am leaning as well.

Yea, in school for 6 years (school transfer and a lot of program transfers) and I even had a decent scholly and received decent financial aid (but most was fed loans with only a bit as grants). But that is with accrued interests thus far.

Thank you!

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:53 am

Villanova. With your UG debt, you'd be close to a whopping $300,000 in debt by the time you graduated from Fordham, and well over a quarter-million dollars from BC.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby PDaddy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:28 am

You may want to consider holding off until next year. Otherwise, have fun at 'Nova.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:26 am

If you must go this year, it isn't even close. Unless you can extort some serious cash from elsewhere, go to Villanova.

Ronburgandy2468
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:49 am

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby Ronburgandy2468 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:29 am

Agreed with the above posters.
But didn't Nova get some seriously bad press recently?
In fudging career placements stats.

grovevilleroad
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby grovevilleroad » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:57 am

Ronburgandy2468 wrote:Agreed with the above posters.
But didn't Nova get some seriously bad press recently?
In fudging career placements stats.


Yes. Two years ago I believe? From what I have heard from recent students, it has not affected job placement or OCI.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby 20130312 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:07 am

grovevilleroad wrote:Will not retake


Why?

grovevilleroad
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby grovevilleroad » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:52 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
grovevilleroad wrote:Will not retake


Why?


I PTed in the 166-172 range. Probably averaged 168. Took the LSAT twice and got a 161 both times. I really don't want to risk doing worse. Obviously something changes when going from the PTs to the real test that just screws me.

User avatar
Redamon1
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby Redamon1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:16 am

grovevilleroad wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
grovevilleroad wrote:Will not retake


Why?


I PTed in the 166-172 range. Probably averaged 168. Took the LSAT twice and got a 161 both times. I really don't want to risk doing worse. Obviously something changes when going from the PTs to the real test that just screws me.


If you do worse, your 161 will still prevail. There is no risk. 3rd time's a charm. I was in the same range as you, got similar scores the first couple of times and jumped substantially on the third attempt.

bobbyh1919
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby bobbyh1919 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:16 am

grovevilleroad wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
grovevilleroad wrote:Will not retake


Why?


I PTed in the 166-172 range. Probably averaged 168. Took the LSAT twice and got a 161 both times. I really don't want to risk doing worse. Obviously something changes when going from the PTs to the real test that just screws me.


I cringed a bit at this.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:20 am

Villanova or Temple depending upon your preferences. Ask Temple for more money to match Villanova's offer & see what happens.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby top30man » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:31 am

grovevilleroad wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
grovevilleroad wrote:Will not retake


Why?


I PTed in the 166-172 range. Probably averaged 168. Took the LSAT twice and got a 161 both times. I really don't want to risk doing worse. Obviously something changes when going from the PTs to the real test that just screws me.

If you got a 161 you must be well above median gpa at BC since their median hovers between a 165/166. What is your gpa?

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby 20130312 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:33 am

top30man wrote:If you got a 161 you must be well above median gpa at BC since their median hovers between a 165/166. What is your gpa?


You can't just look in his profile?

User avatar
monkey85
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby monkey85 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:40 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Villanova or Temple depending upon your preferences. Ask Temple for more money to match Villanova's offer & see what happens.


Agree with this.

Also, find out which has better placement for the Philadelphia area (my gut says Temple, but I'm not certain).

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby thexfactor » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:42 am

retake... u have a solid gpa.. not solid enough for UVA ED though...

Don't go to villanova. Villy has a 10% chance of biglaw/midlaw/big fed jobs, do you really want to take a chance like that? Technically it is "free", but your chances of succeeding are very low. There is a 80-90% chance that in 3 years you will either not have a job or have a 25-30k shitlaw job and will be in the same situation all over again, except 3 years older.

How about BC and drop out if you aren't within the top 1/3 after 1L year?
Last edited by thexfactor on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

grovevilleroad
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby grovevilleroad » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:51 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Villanova or Temple depending upon your preferences. Ask Temple for more money to match Villanova's offer & see what happens.


I already got more money from them. I believe it is the highest scholarship they offer to in-state students. I don't believe they have a full ride option.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:53 am

thexfactor wrote:Don't go to villanova. Villy has a 10% chance of biglaw/midlaw/big fed jobs, do you really want to take a chance like that? Technically it is "free", but your chances of succeeding are very low. There is a 80-90% chance that in 3 years you will not have a job and will be in the same situation all over again, except 3 years older.


That's a little bit of an exaggeration, don't you think? 90% chance of not having a job? It's Villanova, not Thomas Jefferson or Cooley.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby thexfactor » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:55 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
thexfactor wrote:Don't go to villanova. Villy has a 10% chance of biglaw/midlaw/big fed jobs, do you really want to take a chance like that? Technically it is "free", but your chances of succeeding are very low. There is a 80-90% chance that in 3 years you will not have a job and will be in the same situation all over again, except 3 years older.


That's a little bit of an exaggeration, don't you think? 90% chance of not having a job? It's Villanova, not Thomas Jefferson or Cooley.

I stretched it somewhat. It is prob like this:
10% chance of a biglaw/midlaw style job... 10-20% 50k job....
The rest.. I don't know prob mix of part time doc review and other shit law 30k job.

grovevilleroad
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby grovevilleroad » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:56 am

monkey85 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Villanova or Temple depending upon your preferences. Ask Temple for more money to match Villanova's offer & see what happens.


Agree with this.

Also, find out which has better placement for the Philadelphia area (my gut says Temple, but I'm not certain).


From my understanding it is pretty much the same. On the 2011 placement into NLJ 250 firms, Villanova was ranked 42nd with Temple at 46th, that is still the same thing.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:57 am

grovevilleroad wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
grovevilleroad wrote:Will not retake


Why?


I PTed in the 166-172 range. Probably averaged 168. Took the LSAT twice and got a 161 both times. I really don't want to risk doing worse. Obviously something changes when going from the PTs to the real test that just screws me.

Oh my god retake. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain.

grovevilleroad
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby grovevilleroad » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:03 pm

romothesavior wrote:
grovevilleroad wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
grovevilleroad wrote:Will not retake


Why?


I PTed in the 166-172 range. Probably averaged 168. Took the LSAT twice and got a 161 both times. I really don't want to risk doing worse. Obviously something changes when going from the PTs to the real test that just screws me.

Oh my god retake. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain.


I was thinking of putting in my seat deposit at whatever school I choose and just take the June test. If I did really well I can defer (I think?) and apply to some other schools next cycle. This can be an option, correct? But unless I see an 8 point jump, I probably would not reapply next cycle.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:14 pm

grovevilleroad wrote:I was thinking of putting in my seat deposit at whatever school I choose and just take the June test. If I did really well I can defer (I think?) and apply to some other schools next cycle. This can be an option, correct? But unless I see an 8 point jump, I probably would not reapply next cycle.

This is an alright strategy, provided you really study hard for the June test. Also, 5-6 points would make a world of difference for you. A 166-68 score opens doors that a 161 cannot, and with your GPA you would be eligible for some scholarship money at a lot of schools.

User avatar
Redamon1
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: Villanova v. Temple v. Boston College v. Fordham

Postby Redamon1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:17 pm

grovevilleroad wrote: I was thinking of putting in my seat deposit at whatever school I choose and just take the June test. If I did really well I can defer (I think?) and apply to some other schools next cycle. This can be an option, correct? But unless I see an 8 point jump, I probably would not reapply next cycle.


Deferrals are usually binding. But if you made good jump on the LSAT in June, you might be confident enough that you will have better options next cycle to withdraw this year and apply early next cycle. Deposit , focus on the test and weigh your options in June...




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tiago Splitter, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests