Choosing a school for NYC PI

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school would be best for the career path outlined below?

Fordham with $$$
53%
Cornell
29%
Georgetown
18%

Total votes: 34

arodd53

Choosing a school for NYC PI

Postby arodd53 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:33 pm

Specifically hoping to work at a DA's office within the 5 boroughs and eventually work for the USAO--SDNY or EDNY. So far I'm accepted at Fordham with $$$, Cornell, and Georgetown. A lot has been said about Cornell's strong placement in NYC biglaw, and Georgetown's stong placement in DC PI, but how about their placement for NYC PI? Thanks for any advice.

Tanicius

Re: Choosing a school for NYC PI

Postby Tanicius » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:36 pm

If you're positive enough that you want to do PI that you would be willing to go to Fordham, you might as well consider yourself positive enough to do PI that you'll be okay relying on GULC's LRAP.

booboo

Postby booboo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:38 pm

PI placement has less to do with the name of the school and more to do with your resume. Even good grades have less significance than your resume and your legitimate interest in PI. The quality PI you're looking to get place a lot of emphasis on being able to overtly see your passion to be within PI. I do not think the choice of school matters as much.

With that said, USAO, especially for SD/EDNY seem to really hire out of the associates at BigLaw firms. I would say it is becoming the more typical route. I do not know the extent or ease in which a DA position can transfer into a USAO position in NY.

Note also that you are targeting some of the most sought after DA offices in the country, so competition will be fierce.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:18 am

arodd53 wrote:Specifically hoping to work at a DA's office within the 5 boroughs

Follow the leader? http://manhattanda.org/meet-cy-vance

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:43 am

Redamon1 wrote:
arodd53 wrote:Specifically hoping to work at a DA's office within the 5 boroughs

His father was Secretary of State during the Carter Administration. His career path doesn't count.

Also, I honestly think Fordham might be an option here. I don't know much about PI, but if showing a demonstrable interest in PI work is important, then I would imagine the ability to extern during the semester in a NYC office would be a big advantage to you going into the PI market.

The question then becomes whether a PI extern in DC is worse than a PI extern in NYC, as Georgetown would be the obvious answer here if you weren't committed to a location.

arodd53

Postby arodd53 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:05 pm

Redamon1 wrote:

haha I like the way you're thinking. Thank you guys very much for the info. Doorkeeper, why would Georgetown be the "obvious answer" if location weren't part of the equation?
Booboo, you're absolutely right. I know that I'm competing for some of the toughest jobs to get, and it'll take some good breaks. Gotta dream big though. (Also, great 'tar.)

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:20 pm

booboo wrote:PI placement has less to do with the name of the school and more to do with your resume. Even good grades have less significance than your resume and your legitimate interest in PI. The quality PI you're looking to get place a lot of emphasis on being able to overtly see your passion to be within PI. I do not think the choice of school matters as much.

With that said, USAO, especially for SD/EDNY seem to really hire out of the associates at BigLaw firms. I would say it is becoming the more typical route. I do not know the extent or ease in which a DA position can transfer into a USAO position in NY.

Note also that you are targeting some of the most sought after DA offices in the country, so competition will be fierce.

This is what I have gathered from reading the legal employment forum here. Also, that clerkships are very useful. Thus, I would say Cornell for biglaw and clerkship chances.

arodd53

Postby arodd53 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Perdevise. Right now I'm thinking I'd rather not pass through biglaw on the way to the USAO (if possible), but that seems to be a very common route. Anyone else have thoughts?

arodd53

Postby arodd53 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:23 am

Shameless bump

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:12 am

According to this thread viewtopic.php?f=23&t=179561 it really depends on the individual USAO office whether biglaw or DA's office would be a better path.

What does $$$ at Fordham mean? I'd probably lean towards Cornell for your lofty USAO goals but there is a lot more risk there depending on how cheap Fordham is.

arodd53

Postby arodd53 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:26 pm

bk1 wrote:According to this thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=179561 it really depends on the individual USAO office whether biglaw or DA's office would be a better path.

What does $$$ at Fordham mean? I'd probably lean towards Cornell for your lofty USAO goals but there is a lot more risk there depending on how cheap Fordham is.

Thanks for the link, that was some good info. To answer your question: $30K per year with no stipulations.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:22 am

arodd53 wrote:Thanks for the link, that was some good info. To answer your question: $30K per year with no stipulations.

I'd probably take Cornell then. Fordham 130k principle debt, but with interest it's gonna be 150k at graduation. Cornell is expensive and risky, but I don't think Fordham is cheap enough to justify here.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”