Waitlists

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Waitlists

Postby moneybagsphd » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:21 pm

So far I've been WLd at UVA, Duke, and GULC. This is somewhat frustrating because I'm at or above median for these schools (also great LORs and not horrible PS). I'm in at UCLA with 90k (30/year), still waiting for scholly offers from Vandy, Cornell, and USC. I assume that if I got in off the WL, I'd be paying sticker at these schools. My question is: is it even worth trying to get off any of these waitlists? I will be taking out loans to pay for tuition, but my parents have agreed to help with COL. Total debt out of UCLA will be ~60.5k; sticker at other schools ~140k...
ETA:80k from Vandy today.
Last edited by moneybagsphd on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
travman90
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:36 pm

Re: Waitlists

Postby travman90 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:26 pm

Do you have any idea what you want to do post law school? Where you want to be, etc?
All of that would be helpful in offering you advice as it can make a huge difference as to where you want to target your education.

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Waitlists

Postby moneybagsphd » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:38 pm

travman90 wrote:Do you have any idea what you want to do post law school? Where you want to be, etc?
All of that would be helpful in offering you advice as it can make a huge difference as to where you want to target your education.

1.) COA or biglaw (will settle for midlaw)
2.) Born and raised in SoCal, wouldn't mind ending up in CA. But I'm open to other markets (particularly NYC, Boston, Chicago).

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Waitlists

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:26 pm

If you want any shot at the East Coast, I would definitely stay on these waitlists (preferably UVA and Duke, but you can't be picky). Also, I know some schools give money to those accepted off the waitlist, you might want to do some digging to see if any of these schools do that.

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Waitlists

Postby moneybagsphd » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:31 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:If you want any shot at the East Coast, I would definitely stay on these waitlists (preferably UVA and Duke, but you can't be picky). Also, I know some schools give money to those accepted off the waitlist, you might want to do some digging to see if any of these schools do that.

I would think that cornell would be better for the East Coast than GULC...

chiwachiwa
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:42 pm

Re: Waitlists

Postby chiwachiwa » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:31 pm

If you want to be on the west coast you should go to UCLA with that scholarship. Did you apply to Boalt?

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Waitlists

Postby moneybagsphd » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:34 pm

chiwachiwa wrote:If you want to be on the west coast you should go to UCLA with that scholarship. Did you apply to Boalt?

Yes, I'm under faculty review... expecting the worst, hoping for the best.

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Waitlists

Postby moneybagsphd » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:02 pm

bump... new scholarship info in OP.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mudiverse and 2 guests