Help me Choose please (Poll included) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I attend

UCHICAGO with 45k
85%
UMICHIGAN with 45k
6%
Georgetown with 60k
6%
Vanderbilt with 90k
3%

Total votes: 65

chickenalfredo

New

Help me Choose please (Poll included)

Post by chickenalfredo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:35 pm

So I have almost all of my decisions in except for a couple waitlists outstanding.

Here are the options I am considering with the TOTAL(aka not per year) scholarship offered

UChicago with 45k
Michigan with 45k
Georgetown with 60k
Vanderbilt with 90k

My main considerations are Job Placement, COA, and a distant third would be quality of life. I am thrilled to have all these great options but now I have a difficult decision ahead. Where should I attend?

Thanks!

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Re: Help me Choose please (Poll included)

Post by lawyerwannabe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:37 pm

Voted Chicago. I would visit both Chicago and Michigan to see if you like one way more than the other. If it is close, I would choose the one located in Hyde Park.

travman90

New

Post by travman90 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:41 pm

It depends on if you have ties anywhere or where you're more comfortable living with as well. Those are all great schools so there's really no bad option, it's really almost at this point a matter of personal preference. So really maybe consider visiting to see where you feel most "at home." Some schools will even offer you some money to travel and see their campus, get in touch to see if they'll do that for you.

Tadatsune

Bronze

Post by Tadatsune » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:44 pm

Toss out Gtown and Vandy, visit UChi and Mich and pick the one you feel happier about.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:54 pm

Jerb placement between UChi and Mich is substantial in certain areas. If you have an interest in clerking or (God forbid) academia, UChi should be a no brainer. Otherwise, I'd agree with the other posters ITT that you should visit both. Congrats OP!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ralph_pootawn

Bronze

Post by ralph_pootawn » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:00 pm

Uchicago.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:24 pm

How is this even an option?

Chicago.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:39 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Jerb placement between UChi and Mich is substantial in certain areas. If you have an interest in clerking or (God forbid) academia, UChi should be a no brainer. Otherwise, I'd agree with the other posters ITT that you should visit both. Congrats OP!
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... a#p4188514
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... p#p4122116

I still don't buy that Chicago is simply a no brainer in these situations. Also, in before the self-selection argument that somebody will surely raise: "But like, I'm sure students at the only law school that people have historically recommended for students interested in clerkships/academia outside of HYS probably aren't as interested in clerkships/academia."

Just some food for thought on TLS's never-ending "obviously go T6 for academia/clerkships" monotony.

chickenalfredo

New

Post by chickenalfredo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:43 pm

Thanks for all of the responses. I am definitely leaning towards Chicago. I am coming from the south and am intimidated by Winters in chicago (and michigan). I know that I would probably enjoy my time much more and fit in better in place like vanderbilt. However, I have been leaning towards sucking it up and going to Chicago. I definitely going to try to visit all of these places before I make a final decision and I am sure that will make the decision easier for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:48 pm

chickenalfredo wrote:Thanks for all of the responses. I am definitely leaning towards Chicago. I am coming from the south and am intimidated by Winters in chicago (and michigan). I know that I would probably enjoy my time much more and fit in better in place like vanderbilt. However, I have been leaning towards sucking it up and going to Chicago. I definitely going to try to visit all of these places before I make a final decision and I am sure that will make the decision easier for me.
Eh, winter isn't that bad. You'll get used to it.

chickenalfredo

New

Post by chickenalfredo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:49 pm

Samara wrote:
chickenalfredo wrote:Thanks for all of the responses. I am definitely leaning towards Chicago. I am coming from the south and am intimidated by Winters in chicago (and michigan). I know that I would probably enjoy my time much more and fit in better in place like vanderbilt. However, I have been leaning towards sucking it up and going to Chicago. I definitely going to try to visit all of these places before I make a final decision and I am sure that will make the decision easier for me.
Thats what I keep telling myself but it happens to be sunny and in the 70's today and I can't help but smile when I look out the window lol.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:50 pm

chickenalfredo wrote:
Samara wrote:
Thats what I keep telling myself but it happens to be sunny and in the 70's today and I can't help but smile when I look out the window lol.
It's supposed to get up to the 60s here on Wednesday. Just sayin'.

chickenalfredo

New

Post by chickenalfredo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:51 pm

Samara wrote:
chickenalfredo wrote:
Samara wrote:
It's supposed to get up to the 60s here on Wednesday. Just sayin'.
Nice. That makes me feel a bit better.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

justinp

Bronze

Post by justinp » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:49 pm

Texan here. Currently in UG in Massachusetts, which isn't quite as bad as N. Midwest, but still pretty bad... and it isn't all that bad. Gird your loins and charge forth.

My totally irrelevant opinion is that you should go to Chicago.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:29 am

There are some limited circumstances where Vanderbilt might make sense here, but if "job placement" is your utmost priority then you really have to suck it up and go to Chicago. You wouldn't be nuts to choose Michigan, but all things equal I would say this is like a 70/30 call for Chicago.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”