UGA (in-state) vs Bama (25k/year)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UGA (in-state)
25%
Bama (25k/year)
75%

Total votes: 12

RareAir

Postby RareAir » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:22 pm

Currently trying to decide between these two. Grew up in NOLA and graduated this past december from LSU undergrad. I would like to practice in NOLA in the future, but not 100% set on this and wouldn't mind working somewhere else in the southeast. I'm still considering LSU law, but I really don't want to spend my entire life (literally) in South Louisiana.

I'm not so set on practicing in Alabama, but the impression I've gotten is that they do pretty well in the southeast, and I would be able to graduate 100% debt free.

UGA would be considerably more expensive, but imo 25-30k in debt is not THAT big over the course of my life and ATL would be more accessible.

Also, Tuscaloosa vs Athens...

Any advice?

cpinker3

Re: UGA (in-state) vs Bama (25k/year)

Postby cpinker3 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:29 pm

Unless you are wanting to practice in Georgia go to Alabama. They are both respectable schools but IMO Alabama would have more job prospects in the South East.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:32 pm

cpinker3 wrote:Unless you are wanting to practice in Georgia go to Alabama. They are both respectable schools but IMO Alabama would have more job prospects in the South East.

Ummm no. That's just false.

UGA is the better option here, but neither is great at the cost. 100k+ for an Alabama or Georgia degree, especially as an LA native looking to work OOS, isn't smart.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:34 pm

Stipulations?

RareAir

Postby RareAir » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:42 pm

To clarify, 25k/year was the scholly for bama.

COA for bama is ~40k which I would be able to cover debt free.

COA for UGA would be ~70k which I would have to take out around 25-30k in loans

Obviously no stips on the instate from UGA and top 40% for bama (however, 10k is guaranteed for years 2 and 3)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:47 pm

RareAir wrote:To clarify, 25k/year was the scholly for bama.

COA for bama is ~40k which I would be able to cover debt free.

COA for UGA would be ~70k which I would have to take out around 25-30k in loans

Obviously no stips on the instate from UGA and top 40% for bama (however, 10k is guaranteed for years 2 and 3)

Wait, are you including COL into your COA? I'm struggling to see how total COA for UGA would only be 70k with instate and no scholarship. COL would be 50-60k for three years.

UGA is the better school by a little bit but Alabama is alright if you can go truly debt free. I'm just struggling with your math.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:50 pm

romothesavior wrote:
cpinker3 wrote:Unless you are wanting to practice in Georgia go to Alabama. They are both respectable schools but IMO Alabama would have more job prospects in the South East.

Ummm no. That's just false.

UGA is the better option here, but neither is great at the cost. 100k+ for an Alabama or Georgia degree, especially as an LA native looking to work OOS, isn't smart.

This. UGA is indeed the better option of the two, but OP, you would be better off either staying in state or seeking a more high powered degree.

As to staying in state, can you not get a big scholarship at Tulane? It attracts pretty much all of the medium/large Birmingham, Baton Rouge, Houston and New Orleans firms (among others). As to getting a more high powered law degree, if you are looking at big debt (~$100K), the U of Texas and Vanderbilt would be better options.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Are you a Louisiana resident who has been offered "tuition equalization" at Georgia ? Therefore, if my assumption is correct, you have in-state tuition options at both LSU & Georgia in addition to a hefty scholarship offer from Alabama ? If correct, then, in light of your career goals, you have three great options with, in my opinion, Alabama & LSU tied for first if you want to practice in the New orleans area. Nevertheless, Georgia remains a solid option for employment in Georgia, Alabama & New Orleans.

P.S. My advice would change, however, if your Alabama scholarship required anything above "remain in good academic standing".

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:16 pm

OP: After reading your earlier posts in other threads, my understanding is that you have a 3.05 GPA & an 171 LSAT score. Additionally, you were recently diagnosed with an attention deficit disorder which is now rectified via medication. If correct, then you have another realistic option. Work for a year or two & reapply to Northwestern & a few other top 14 law schools (as well as to Texas & Vanderbilt as suggested above).

Also, consider asking for increased scholarship money from your current choices since, based on your objectives, you have three strong options.

RareAir

Postby RareAir » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Tulane isn't really an option imv because I would not get a scholly that would make it nearly comparable (price wise) to LSU, and If I stay in LA then I would rather LSU anyway, but that's just me.

I'm not dead set on returning to NOLA, and certainly not dead set on returning immediately after graduation. I like atlanta and feel that I could see myself living for an extended period after graduation.

Not too interested in big debt. The ~30k in debt I'd have to take for UGA is about the highest I'm willing to go, and the debt would be the only big reason I wouldn't go to UGA.

chiwachiwa

Postby chiwachiwa » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:43 pm

Do not pick one school over another solely on the basis of $30k in debt. That amount of debt is eminently manageable. At that price, pick the school that fits your career goals best.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:52 pm

RareAir wrote:Tulane isn't really an option imv because I would not get a scholly that would make it nearly comparable (price wise) to LSU, and If I stay in LA then I would rather LSU anyway, but that's just me.

I'm not dead set on returning to NOLA, and certainly not dead set on returning immediately after graduation. I like atlanta and feel that I could see myself living for an extended period after graduation.

Not too interested in big debt. The ~30k in debt I'd have to take for UGA is about the highest I'm willing to go, and the debt would be the only big reason I wouldn't go to UGA.

Oh okay. Well pick whichever you like best. However, be aware that you may face difficulty both with job markets you don't have ties to and with the mobility of the degrees from those schools.

murray18

Postby murray18 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:49 pm

Bear in mind that the Atlanta job market is in ruins, while Birmingham isn't quite as bad. Without ties, Atlanta might be a bad place to be unless the economy takes a U turn. Theres a thread somewhere (give me a while and I can try to find it) that discusses this topic at length, and my impression was that Birmingham with no debt might be a safer bet than Atlanta.

I do agree with the above posters though. Don't rule out a retake and a shot for Vanderbilt. With a few extra LSAT points, it seems like you might be able to get a nice scholly (which is an objectively better choice).

EDIT:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=174694&start=25

Return to “Choosing a Law School”