Minnesota or Colorado-Boulder?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Klinklang

Minnesota or Colorado-Boulder?

Postby Klinklang » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:14 pm

Both schools seem to dominate the region, can anyone point out (or point me to, lol) the strengths of each compared to the other? Looks like both are pretty good options but it's still a tough call :D

Lord Randolph McDuff

Re: Minnesota or Colorado-Boulder?

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:53 pm

What is Minnesotas region? Minnesota? If you want to work in Wisconsin, go to the university of Wisconsin.

They are both respected schools, but there's no such thing as a region. Sure, people in Kansas or New Mexico respect a CU Law degree, but if you want to work in those states you'd be better served going to KU or UNM.

They don't dominate their region, only there state. They just give you a chance at some interviews in the region.

Ask yourself where you want to live. That is 100% of your decision.

Klinklang

Postby Klinklang » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:59 pm

Thanks and yeah, that's what I meant by region - from what I understand, Colorado seems to have pretty strong pull in most of the mountain states (why I didn't say state, haha).

I'm not sure looking only at geography is necessarily a great strategy, though. I recognize these aren't HYS and don't have tremendous national reach, but I still think the comparative strengths of the curriculum are worth paying attention to. Plus, I'd like living in either place.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:17 pm

Where are you from? What do you want to do? How much are we looking at for these?

Klinklang

Postby Klinklang » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:38 pm

I'm from Texas, but have nooo interest in moving back here after law school - wanting to stay put after I move. I've heard it's not a good decision to pick a career path as a 0L, but my main interests are appellate advocacy of constitutional law (moot court in UG kind of thing) or perhaps the D.A. path. Only things I'm definitely not interested in are tax law and IP. I'm not too worried about $ (they work out about the same) but I received a 10k scholly at Minnesota (yuh :)) and haven't heard from Colorado about that just yet. I'll be applying for residency as soon as possible at either school, so I think that's another cost cut.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:42 pm

In your case, the deciding factor should be where you want to live & work after law school. Also, depends upon what you want to do with your snow--ski on it or shovel it.

P.S. Residency after one year is easy for Colorado, but not for Minnesota from what I have read.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:56 pm

Six figures of debt to go to a regional school in a small market that you have no ties to = pretty bad decision

I can't in good conscience advise you to go to either one.

Klinklang

Postby Klinklang » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:12 pm

I'm not sure either Denver or Minneapolis are small markets by any non-TLS standard, lol. I somehow doubt it's a bad decision to go to a Top 20 school with $, or one ranked highest in its time zone. Thanks for the responses though.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Klinklang wrote:I'm not sure either Denver or Minneapolis are small markets by any non-TLS standard, lol. I somehow doubt it's a bad decision to go to a Top 20 school with $, or one ranked highest in its time zone. Thanks for the responses though.

Denver and Minneapolis are pretty good sized cities, but when you really start to break down the size of the legal market there for fresh law school grads, you start to realize that they aren't as big as they look at first glance. These are both solid schools and I am not trying to disparage them in any way, but they don't seem wise given your situation. Legal hiring is generally quite regional. You have no ties to either market. You are looking at six-figures of debt from either school. This is just not very smart, and almost any person on TLS who is an actual law student will tell you this.

If you don't want to listen to anyone else and are deadset on choosing between these two schools for fall of 2012, then I guess go to UMN. It is marginally better for placement.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:31 pm

I know there have been some posts on here about the job market in both Minnesota and Colorado. I think you should read those threads to get a better background. And remember when we are talking about the legal market, we are talking about the ability to get a job that will let you pay back your debt. If you don't have to worry about debt, then it is a different question.

Jwb0711

Postby Jwb0711 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:54 pm

Neither is a good deal for the amount of debt you would be taking on. Did you get more money from other schools?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:25 pm

OP said he wants to work for the DA. I can tell you that DAs are hiring in Colorado and the pays pretty good. I wouldn't wanna go into 100k debt for either school without an IBR plan or a obsession with practicing law in the state.

This is about which state you wanna live in. Go up law school where you wanna live. If I could go to Harvard or the flagship state school where I wanted to work, id go to the state school. Other than a few high end firms in the Capitol city, you'd be better served going to the local school. Life is generally about the hands you shake, not the grades you make.

These are fine options. Now pick where you wanna live.

Boggs

Postby Boggs » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:40 am

OP,

This is an interesting question. I was accepted to both these schools and visited them. I'll PM you links to my blog posts about them. While Minn is higher ranked (and there are good reasons for this), I'd honestly go to Colorado if these were my options. I like the area better and the campuses have completely different feels. What you really need to do is visit.

Good luck.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”