California Law Schools?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MusicallyLost

California Law Schools?

Postby MusicallyLost » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:06 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm new here, but am a long-time lurker. It's amazing how much information you can get simply by lurking this forum.

I will be taking the October LSAT and will be studying over summer and the following months. I'm expecting a 165-170 on the LSAT with my GPA being 3.6-3.7 by graduation. I'm currently an undergrad at CSUN majoring in Music Industry Studies. I have been researching different law schools in LA, but can't seem to make a definitive decision. I'm very interested in UCLA and USC, but I feel my GPA might be a little low. I'm also considering applying to Stanford (I know, it's a reach), because one of my professors is a Stanford Alumni and offered to write me a LOR. I'm pretty lost as to where I may be accepted. I want to go into Entertainment Law after passing the bar (hence the Music Industry undergrad). I would also like to mention that I am looking for the law school that offers the most money. I've been independent for most of my adult life and am currently on full grants and work study at CSUN.

Here is the list I've made through the LSAC website in order of interest:

1. University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) School of Law
2. University of Southern California, Gould School of Law
3. Loyola Law School, Loyola Marymount University
4. Stanford University Law School
5. Pepperdine University School of Law
6. University of California, Berkeley, School of Law
7. Southwestern Law School

Any information or recommendations you have would be helpful! THANK YOU! :mrgreen:
Last edited by MusicallyLost on Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green Glass Windows

Re: California Law Schools?

Postby Green Glass Windows » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:09 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=179241

This thread I made about USC and UCLA a little while ago might be relevant.

partyrock

Postby partyrock » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:21 pm

as a 1L at Loyola, I'm going to say that you really should try your hardest to knock it out of the park with your LSAT score and try for stanford, berkeley, usc, and ucla before considering any of the other CA schools. Also, consider adding Davis and Hastings. I cant speak to their placement in southern california, but definitely apply to give yourself some options.

I really like Loyola, solid faculty and curriculum, but having a stipulated scholarship is beyond stressful and ALOT of people in our class have been having trouble getting unpaid summer work. HTH.

MusicallyLost

Postby MusicallyLost » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:31 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm really hoping for UCLA, they seem to have a great Entertainment Law option as well. Any idea how they award financial aid and scholarships?

partyrock

Postby partyrock » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:36 pm

MusicallyLost wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'm really hoping for UCLA, they seem to have a great Entertainment Law option as well. Any idea how they award financial aid and scholarships?

again, I can't really speak to other schools. There is some good advice in the thread posted above about UC tuition hikes, which was a concern of mine when deciding between schools. Also, its important to note that the government will no longer subsidize loans, so all loans will now accrue interest while you are in school, instead of upon graduation (regardless if you are at a public or private school).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”