Southwestern at sticker or Calwestern with ($)? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sunynp

Gold

Re: Southwestern at sticker or Calwestern with ($)?

Post by sunynp » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:41 am

Actually my conscience isn't clear. If I saw someone about to jump off a cliff I would try to stop them and regret it if I failed. You are asking about things like moot court while
ignoring the bigger picture of your life over the next 25 years. At least I hope you drop out after you lose your scholarship. Don't keep going thinking you've invested so much so you might as well continue.

Have you compared bar passage rates ? If you have to pick one go to the one that makes it more likely you will pass the bar. Don't worry, I won't bother you with advice anymore. Enjoy living in your bubble until it bursts.
vinylx wrote:
sunynp wrote:You are making a huge IRREPARABLE mistake if you go to either school. You will end up with huge debt following you around the next 25 years of your life.

Should you disregard the advice you have been given repeatedly on this front, please bookmark this thread. Come back and read it in a year or two. You can't say that we didn't warn you or that you didn't have good advice.

I really worry about your future. You need to make better decisions than you are making right now.

I hear your warning and im ignoring it. I wont bookmark anything and I wont read this thread in a year or two. Ill worry about my future and deal with my options as they come thanks. Your conscience is clear. Anything of substance to add about which school might be a better fit?

vinylx

New

Post by vinylx » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:43 am

And you enjoy yours.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:52 am

Where are you actually from? The fact that you think UCI is close to LA makes me think you're not from LA. Where do you want to practice?

vinylx

New

Post by vinylx » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:57 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:Where are you actually from? The fact that you think UCI is close to LA makes me think you're not from LA. Where do you want to practice?
Im from Pomona. I dont mind practicing in LA, SD, or SF. I have applied to schools in all 3 areas. I often drive to downtown and then to mission viejo. Driving is a fact of life, at least to me, if you live in the greater LA area. Maybe its just me lol

bdole2

Bronze

Post by bdole2 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:26 am

vinylx wrote:Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:52 pm
So he has been a member of these boards for 2.5 years and you guys are STILL responding to him? And he did his undergrad at University of Phoenix? Don't believe this bullshit. And if he is serious just let him make this awful choice on his own.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vinylx

New

Post by vinylx » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:56 am

bdole2 wrote:
vinylx wrote:Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:52 pm
So he has been a member of these boards for 2.5 years and you guys are STILL responding to him? And he did his undergrad at University of Phoenix? Don't believe this bullshit. And if he is serious just let him make this awful choice on his own.
Yeah don't present any objective information about how two similar schools in a region stack up against each other. What's the point in that? That isn't what the forum is for at all. I'm tempted to just close the thread because people would rather just go off on a tangent than stick to the topic. I do appreciate the small amount of insight people like chimp and northcali provided though.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:39 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:07 pm

OP would it make any difference if actual students from these schools were telling you not to go?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:33 pm

You are an utter fool if you take either of these choices. No way around it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:48 pm

I'm genuinely curious as to why you absolutely have to go to law school next year. I'd be interested to hear exactly what circumstances you are in that is making this decision such a necessary one for you.

mgb2543

New

Post by mgb2543 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:51 pm

Coming from someone who lives in San Diego and has a spouse in the top 2% of the USD c/o '12. There is no way in hell you should go to either school. I know you said debt doesn't really concern you, but in all honesty you are essentially advocating to take 100k, douse it with gasoline and set it on fire, all to have to pay it back. I wouldn't even recommend someone go to U. San Diego right now and that's a top 60 or so school and the best school by a longshot in the city.

There are kids at USD three months from graduating, and are in the top 10% of their class that don't have ANY job. San Diego is such a small legal market. You would end up resorting to Craigslist basically looking for a job. Why would you go to institutions with sketchy at best credibility to get a job paying 40k-60k (if you are lucky), when you could go out into the private sector and get a job paying that now?

No offense, but if you aren't smart enough to get into a better law school than Southwestern or Cal Western than you probably don't have what it takes to be effective counsel. Just saying

Jwb0711

New

Post by Jwb0711 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:53 pm

This thread is full of win.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:59 pm

MGB did you start an account just to reply to this thread? If so, that's awesome.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:02 pm

splitbrain wrote:MGB did you start an account just to reply to this thread? If so, that's awesome.
I hope he sticks around and tells this story to all the naive 0L idiots thinking about these types of schools.

mgb2543

New

Post by mgb2543 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:15 pm

splitbrain wrote:MGB did you start an account just to reply to this thread? If so, that's awesome.

That wasn't my only reason for joining. I've been a long time lurker of this site. But this thread really tipped the scales I suppose.

It seems like this the person who started this thread is hellbent on taking out money to become a slave to debt the rest of his/her life. Good luck with that. Going to any law school outside of the top 10 or so right now is extremely risky. Attending a Tier 4 school (if those schools are even that) is downright certifiable. And that's in a good economy.

sweetstuff1555

New

Post by sweetstuff1555 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:48 am

People can be incredibly cruel when hiding behind a username. The OP didn't ask for an opinion on their decision to go to law school, just a little help comparing two schools. So thinking that your opinion is gospel (which most of you do) is just ridiculous.

OP- If I were in your position I would visit both schools and pick which one seems to be the best fit for you. And I also agree with what another person said about trying to get more money out of Cal Western. It never hurts to try!

Good luck!

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:11 am

If you knew how terrible these two schools are you'd realize that people telling him not to go to either one are doing him a favor

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sweetstuff1555

New

Post by sweetstuff1555 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:If you knew how terrible these two schools are you'd realize that people telling him not to go to either one are doing him a favor
Well he didn't actually ask for that type of favor, so why did everyone find it necessary to share that type of opinion? I swear, people on this site act like they have a personal interest in the success of someone deciding to go to law school. The OP did not ask for your donations to fund his ability to go to one of these "terrible" law schools. I'm sure he has weighed the pros and cons, and decided that he is passionate enough about law to risk furthering his education.

But of course you all know best, so please continue with the bashing...

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:57 pm

sweetstuff1555 wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:If you knew how terrible these two schools are you'd realize that people telling him not to go to either one are doing him a favor
Well he didn't actually ask for that type of favor, so why did everyone find it necessary to share that type of opinion? I swear, people on this site act like they have a personal interest in the success of someone deciding to go to law school. The OP did not ask for your donations to fund his ability to go to one of these "terrible" law schools. I'm sure he has weighed the pros and cons, and decided that he is passionate enough about law to risk furthering his education.

I do take a personal interest in the success of someone deciding to go to law school. I think that's the motivation of a lot of people who post on TLS regularly. What's wrong with that? If OP doesn't want the advice he doesn't have to take it, and if you don't like it you don't have to read it. OP has clearly not weighed the pros and cons. If he had, he wouldn't be considering these schools.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:02 pm

sweetstuff1555 wrote:
Well he didn't actually ask for that type of favor, so why did everyone find it necessary to share that type of opinion?
Because we are good people? Because it doesn't take much effort to make a post on an internet forum, and the fact the post could actually prevent someone from potentially ruining their life?

I like how we are pegged as the "bad guys." The real bad guys here are the schools who mislead applicants about their job prospects.

sweetstuff1555

New

Post by sweetstuff1555 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:12 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
sweetstuff1555 wrote:

I do take a personal interest in the success of someone deciding to go to law school. I think that's the motivation of a lot of people who post on TLS regularly. What's wrong with that? If OP doesn't want the advice he doesn't have to take it, and if you don't like it you don't have to read it. OP has clearly not weighed the pros and cons. If he had, he wouldn't be considering these schools.
That is absolutely ridiculous, and you know it. I know people who have come from both law schools who are successful practicing attorneys. So I have seen firsthand proof that it is entirely possible to be successful coming out of either one of those schools. Is it more difficult? Sure! But just because a path is difficult does not mean someone should give up on that path entirely, as many people have suggested.

Making someone feel inadequate, or doomed for failure, is not helpful. These are your opinions, and good for you for having one, but it isn't always necessary to spew said opinion whenever you think the situation calls for it. How about we all try to support one another, and root for the other's success? Instead of just beating people down about a decision that has nothing to do with them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:34 pm

sweetstuff1555 wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
sweetstuff1555 wrote:

That is absolutely ridiculous, and you know it. I know people who have come from both law schools who are successful practicing attorneys. So I have seen firsthand proof that it is entirely possible to be successful coming out of either one of those schools. Is it more difficult? Sure! But just because a path is difficult does not mean someone should give up on that path entirely, as many people have suggested.

Making someone feel inadequate, or doomed for failure, is not helpful. These are your opinions, and good for you for having one, but it isn't always necessary to spew said opinion whenever you think the situation calls for it. How about we all try to support one another, and root for the other's success? Instead of just beating people down about a decision that has nothing to do with them.

apropos

New

Post by apropos » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:37 pm

Edit: Abstaining.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:42 pm

apropos wrote:Edit: Abstaining.
You could've just deleted your post bro. Now it's too late.

mgb2543

New

Post by mgb2543 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:49 pm

traehekat wrote:
sweetstuff1555 wrote:
Well he didn't actually ask for that type of favor, so why did everyone find it necessary to share that type of opinion?
Because we are good people? Because it doesn't take much effort to make a post on an internet forum, and the fact the post could actually prevent someone from potentially ruining their life?

I like how we are pegged as the "bad guys." The real bad guys here are the schools who mislead applicants about their job prospects.

Besides these basically for-profit schools being the bad guys, you could also include those people who encourage the naive to attend a school that gives you percentage chance of getting a meaningful legal job somewhere close to the chances of winning the lottery.

And to sweetstuff: perhaps you know graduates of both schools that are successful practicing attorneys, but chances are those people graduated a while back when the legal market was decent. When there are kids in the top 20% of USD's class not getting jobs, you can bet that a graduate of Cal Western is getting no job. Call us rude, but those are just the cold, hard facts

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”