St John's Law or Syracuse Law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Redamon1

Re: St John's Law or Syracuse Law?

Postby Redamon1 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:08 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Having a 3.6-3.7 GPA isn't that bad. If you could get your LSAT up 4-6 points, which is definitely possible, you would be at a 166-168, and you could either have a good shot at Fordham (which is way better than either of your current options for biglaw and general legal employment), or get some scholly from lower NY schools (if you want to attend them anyways.

As much as waiting another year can suck, TITCR.

revan132

Postby revan132 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:08 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:If you have a 3.8 GPA, then my reasoning above is even stronger.

If I went with the email correspondence option, would I mention the fact that I have a high GPA and diverse background? Or is it a given already since they mentioned it in the admissions letter? I'm not going to retake. I've already made my decision.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:08 pm

Use lawschoolnumbers.com to inform yourself of the scholarship awards offered last cycle by each school. For example, Syracuse offered multiple scholarships in the amounts of $27,000 & $33,000 per year several of which were declined by the applicants to attend elsewhere. St. John's offered multiple scholarships of $46,666 per year.

Since you do not want to retake, then you can commit to, for example, Syracuse if awarded a scholarship of $27,000 or more per year. With respect to St. John's, write that you have been offered significantly more money by a similarly ranked law school that offers better living accomodations at much lower cost.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:19 pm

revan132 wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:If you have a 3.8 GPA, then my reasoning above is even stronger.

If I went with the email correspondence option, would I mention the fact that I have a high GPA and diverse background? Or is it a given already since they mentioned it in the admissions letter? I'm not going to retake. I've already made my decision.

Feel free to add a little bit, but don't restate your application.
You shouldn't write more than a short paragraph.
They already have your information; they'll probably take a quick look at your app to check your LSAT and GPA.
Don't over think it, they get these requests regularly.

revan132

Postby revan132 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:25 pm

I assume you just write to the general financial aid office of the respective law school? Also, thanks for all the answers guys. I truly appreciate it!

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:33 pm

revan132 wrote:I assume you just write to the general financial aid office of the respective law school? Also, thanks for all the answers guys. I truly appreciate it!

I can't answer that. I was in regular contact with the director Of admissions,
Others I know had had dealings with a financial aid officer, or a good rapport with an assistant dean.
If you can address it to a specific person, that's a plus, but if all else fails send it to whoever sent you your scholly offer or your acceptance letter.

RW65

Postby RW65 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:20 pm

With a 3.8 not retaking is crazy. I'm guessing from your posts you have a high 150s LSAT. You really should take the year off, take the LSAT again, and reapply in September. You can learn the LSAT. This decision is going to affect your life forever. Waiting an extra year to go to law school is not that big of a deal (in most cases). You can do better on the test, all you have to do is put in the time to learn it. Even with a 168 you'd be competitive at great schools and get significant money from a ton of schools.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:41 pm

RW65 wrote:With a 3.8 not retaking is crazy. I'm guessing from your posts you have a high 150s LSAT. You really should take the year off, take the LSAT again, and reapply in September. You can learn the LSAT. This decision is going to affect your life forever. Waiting an extra year to go to law school is not that big of a deal (in most cases). You can do better on the test, all you have to do is put in the time to learn it. Even with a 168 you'd be competitive at great schools and get significant money from a ton of schools.

I know it's been mentioned before, but if you can even bring your lsat to the mid 160's, you'll have a decent shot at Fordham, which gives you a much better shot at the NY market
(sports comparison: Syracuse and St Johns are both minor league; Fordham is a major leage player (but rarely makes it to the playoffs, think Pittsburgh Pirates), NYU and Columbia are playoff teams)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:44 pm

OP: What is your LSAT range or score ? How many LSAT sittings ?

Gail

Postby Gail » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:10 pm

revan132 wrote:Hey guys - long time lurker here! I am currently in a huge conundrum regarding which school's offer to accept. I was wondering if the experts here at TLS could tell me which school would be a better choice overall: St John's Law or Syracuse Law. I was almost certain on attending St. John's, but Syracuse gave me twice the scholarship, so it is now in the consideration pool. That being said, I think Syracuse will end up being much cheaper for me (on loans) and it has a brand new housing complex so I won't have to go through the huge headache that is finding an apartment in Queens. As far as academics, from what I have read, they are both pretty comparable. Any thoughts?

If twice the scholarship means you come out with only 60k in debt, then go to Syracuse. If not.... I don't know. If you can. Retake and reapply. Otherwise still go with Syracuse.

revan132

Postby revan132 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:17 pm

I got a 156 on my LSAT which was lower than my diagnostics, but alas, I am still not going to retake. It was my second sitting (cancelled the first). I appreciate the encouragement, but I do not have a year to burn here. That being said, I am going to try my luck with asking for some more scholarship money. I don't think it is as black and white as X schools get jobs, Y schools do not. If I work incredibly hard, network well, and be involved as possible, I am sure that some job prospects will arise (even if they do not start in the 100k range). I know a lot of you guys are masochists, but I am quite sick of the LSAT and I simply will not sit for it again. Anyway, I really appreciate the advice offered so far!

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:14 pm

revan132 wrote:I got a 156 on my LSAT which was lower than my diagnostics, but alas, I am still not going to retake. It was my second sitting (cancelled the first). I appreciate the encouragement, but I do not have a year to burn here. That being said, I am going to try my luck with asking for some more scholarship money. I don't think it is as black and white as X schools get jobs, Y schools do not. If I work incredibly hard, network well, and be involved as possible, I am sure that some job prospects will arise (even if they do not start in the 100k range). I know a lot of you guys are masochists, but I am quite sick of the LSAT and I simply will not sit for it again. Anyway, I really appreciate the advice offered so far!

Why do you believe this? You are wrong.

RW65

Postby RW65 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:24 pm

sunynp wrote:
revan132 wrote:I got a 156 on my LSAT which was lower than my diagnostics, but alas, I am still not going to retake. It was my second sitting (cancelled the first). I appreciate the encouragement, but I do not have a year to burn here. That being said, I am going to try my luck with asking for some more scholarship money. I don't think it is as black and white as X schools get jobs, Y schools do not. If I work incredibly hard, network well, and be involved as possible, I am sure that some job prospects will arise (even if they do not start in the 100k range). I know a lot of you guys are masochists, but I am quite sick of the LSAT and I simply will not sit for it again. Anyway, I really appreciate the advice offered so far!

Why do you believe this? You are wrong.

This. I know people who have worked incredibly hard, networked well, been involved, have 3.5 GPAs and STILL don't have jobs.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:24 pm

Why do you absolutely have to go to law school next year? What is forcing you to do so?

Trust me, I was in a similar position. Three years ago I turned down a full scholly from a school (conditioned on working 1 year and getting experience) for a half-scholly from another school. I figured since I could get biglaw anyway there was no point to waiting a year, since any job I could get wouldn't be worth an extra year of biglaw salary even with the scholly factored in. Now I have 75K more in debt than I would have had and still no job with two months to graduation. Make the smart choice here, you'll be glad you took the year.
Last edited by timbs4339 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:27 pm

If you want to practice in upstate NY, Syracuse. If you don't want to practice anywhere, St. John's.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:29 pm

So St. John's gave you 5k a year? That degree is a steal at that price. You should only be about 200k in debt. Go for it.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:12 pm

Isn't Buffalo of similar job prospects and a fuckton less debt? Why isn't Buffalo a part of the discussion?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”