Current School Situation - Please Opine! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Calchexas

New

Current School Situation - Please Opine!

Post by Calchexas » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:43 pm

Last edited by Calchexas on Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

jrthor10

Bronze

Re: Current School Situation - Please Opine!

Post by jrthor10 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:45 pm

Calchexas wrote:Dear TLS'ers,

Long time lurker, big time fan here. Now that I've heard back from the fifth of eight schools that I've applied to, I am now in the last stage of making the decision.

So far, here's where I'm at:

*U of H Law Center: accepted, but have not heard anything about scholarships at all (assuming a sticker offer, $90k)
*Baylor: accepted, and offered a three year scholarship worth approx. 1/3 of 3-year tuition ($45k/$130k)
*U of Oklahoma: waitlisted
*Texas Tech: accepted with $10k scholarship ($30k/$72k)

(The conditions of all the scholarship are relatively easy to meet, so don't factor those in)
The order I have them posted in above corresponds to my priority between the four schools (although they're all under consideration). For anyone familiar with any of these schools, please help me out. Ultimately all of this may just boil down to me having to visit each of the schools, but I'd like some opinions on my situation.

tl; dr - I have a balancing act between scholarship offers and a wait list that I need to figure out. I like all of these schools, andfeel like I have good job prospects in Texas or Oklahoma if I graduate from any of them with decent grades.

*For those who were accepted into or currently attend U of H, how long did it take to receive a scholarship offer? I've heard from friends that they don't get many of them out until April, and fin. aid says that offers actually started coming out this week. What's your experience with this?

*Even though my numbers are on or above the 75th %ile, I was still waitlisted to OU. I could spend all day guessing the reason, but the real issue is if I should wait. I intend to send a continuing interest letter, but with first deposits due soon, I don't know if I can wait too long.

I may bite the bullet and pay first deposits just so that I can clarify my situation with U of H and OU, but I'm really not sure. Any help on my concerns is appreciated, and if you have any questions that would make answering this easier, please LMK.
People are going to ask you what that means

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:46 pm

First, where are you from? All the markets you are talking about are parochial, so you need ties. Go to the school where you have ties, hopefully the one with the lowest cost.

Calchexas

New

Post by Calchexas » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:46 pm

Re poster two above: Top 75% at Baylor, and top 50% of Texas Tech.

You're right - might as well get it out of the way now

Re poster above: DFW area. I have ties with/people I know from all four schools, and I ultimately intend to work in the DFW area when I'm done. Don't mind working in OKC, Lubbock, Waco, or Houston either.
Last edited by Calchexas on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:48 pm

Calchexas wrote:^ Top 75% at Baylor, and top 50% of Texas Tech.

You're right - might as well get it out of the way now.
Sorry, but top 50% is never guaranteed. That needs to be factored in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Calchexas

New

Post by Calchexas » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:50 pm

It's okay, frankly - no delusions here. : )

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:53 pm

Calchexas wrote:It's okay, frankly - no delusions here. : )
In which case, I would look again at your figures and decide if you're ok paying sticker during your last 2 years if you don't meet the stips. Because not meeting them is a real possibility, that definitely needs to be factored in.

Calchexas

New

Post by Calchexas » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:04 pm

If I matriculate, attend, and lose my scholarship after year one, then from a purely financial perspective (not, "well if you're willing to pay to be in the bottom quarter of such-and-such, why bother?" perspective), I am prepared to pay sticker for years two/three at Tech; I am not prepared to do the same at Baylor.

texas man

Bronze

Post by texas man » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:55 pm

I'm currently a 2L at Texas Tech.

In your cost analysis, make sure and look at total cost (including cost of living, etc.) for each school to get a more accurate picture of your debt load when you graduate. I was in a similar situation as you, and looking at total cost can change your perspective (COL in Houston or Dallas is a bit different than Lubbock).

Also, top 50% gives you a pretty good shot of keeping your scholarship (unless "thinking like a lawyer" isn't your cup of tea); considering you have what it takes to get the scholarship to begin with, you probably have a better than 50% chance of keeping it. I don't know many people who have lost their scholarships with this requirement.

Keep in mind that there are also "advanced" scholarships available for students after their first year. These can be based on factors such as merit, need, and extra-curriculars (such as community involvement, etc.).

If you have questions on specifics, feel free to pm me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:22 pm

Why isn't SMU (PT or FT) an option? That would be your best bet for DFW from this range of schools.

Based on your current results, I would vote UH (as long as you are fine with being "stuck" in Houston).

But if a really intense environment is your thing and you absolutely know you want to do litigation, than Baylor might be a decent fit. Talk with current Baylor law students first though, because I've heard some negative things.

mtyler19

Bronze

Post by mtyler19 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:46 pm

Some UH scholarships have already come out, but keep in mind they are stingy as hell. Don't expect much at all.

Calchexas

New

Post by Calchexas » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:01 pm

texas man: Thanks for the offer! I'll definitely factor in COL, and that is actually another incentive for Tech. I'll be shooting you a PM in a while

Richie Tenenbaum: Even though it's in my home market, SMU is more of a "Mario" law school to me: good in a lot of areas, but not really outstanding enough to let me be outstanding in an area. Plus, given my numbers, I anticipated a very minimal scholarship or just sticker price.

Also, what negative things have you heard about Baylor? I won't take your word as fact, and I know that two-three degrees of separation can be unreliable but I'm still curious.

mtyler19: You sound pretty familiar with this. Any idea on average award/other info?

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:08 pm

You got into two of the very few schools beneath the top 25 that I would say it may be a good decision to go to. It's pretty simple. If you want to work in Dallas, go to SMU and if you want to work in Houston go to University of Houston. Both markets are very loyal to each school. That being said, if you do very well you can go anywhere in the state you want to (we're talking like top 10%). I went to an interview program with Baker Botts in Austin yesterday and met a brand new associate from University of Houston, so you can definitely get to the top if you want, but keep in mind it's an uphill battle.

Any ideas what kind of law you want to practice in which market?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mtyler19

Bronze

Post by mtyler19 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Calchexas wrote:mtyler19: You sound pretty familiar with this. Any idea on average award/other info?
PM'd

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Also, look up all of these schools on Law School Transparency's Data Clearinghouse.

I think the numbers you'll find should tell you that no matter what anybody tells you, you should never, for any reason, at any time go to Texas Tech at all. Baylor is a long shot, Houston is an OK bet but SMU is probably your best option.

Calchexas

New

Post by Calchexas » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:30 pm

lisjjen: taxes and IP both interest me a lot, although I'm worried the latter runs the risk of placing me in a trademark/copyright ghetto.

IYO, what makes Baylor so much harder to transfer to other places than Houston? Just due to the lack of "big area" loyalty that UHLC and SMU have?

P.S. Fantastic resource, btw - thanks!

HookemHooker

New

Post by HookemHooker » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:39 pm

I would only go to Uof H with $>SMU sticker>Baylor with $$ in that order. I was in the same boat as you a year ago. Visited all the schools and I have many friends at both. SMU places pretty good for a second tier but will cost you a pretty penny. U of H places well too, but isn't as affordable as it once was and it is in a pretty nasty part of town. Baylor is okay if you can keep your debt very low and rank well in your class. A fun night in Waco is going to Walmart. TTTech is a value if you get a full ride but placement is pretty hit or miss. My friends are having trouble securing even small law jobs in under-served parts of the state. In terms of prestige on campus Tech Meat Judging Team> Law School.

FWIW-Do not overlook the environment of each school. You will be working butt off for the next four years. You might as well enjoy yourself.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:40 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:First, where are you from? All the markets you are talking about are parochial, so you need ties. Go to the school where you have ties, hopefully the one with the lowest cost.
Congrats, Grizz. You've started your own word.

Houston isn't "parochial"

It's the 4th largest city in the country and the capital of American oil industry.

Get a 1L internship.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”