Penn vs. NYU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lsatismylifefornow

New

Penn vs. NYU

Post by lsatismylifefornow » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:04 pm

Narrowed it down to these two.

Assume sticker at both.
Last edited by lsatismylifefornow on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dissonance1848

Silver

Re: Penn vs. NYU

Post by dissonance1848 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:12 pm

If you are interested in biglaw in LA, did you shoot for Berkeley? Did you get money at USC or UCLA?

In terms of NYC biglaw, NYU definitely has a substantial edge on Penn for the elite law firms (as per Vault ranks).

If you were around median, NYU probably provides a little more of a cushion.

That being said, living in MFH would also cost somewhat more than Phili, for whatever thats worth.

sach1282

Bronze

Post by sach1282 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:14 pm

Step 1) Visit
Step 2) ???
Step 3) Profit

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:18 pm

There really isn't a huge difference between the two, and there are qualitative reasons for choosing each of them over the other.

As the poster above recommended, you should just visit them both and then decide.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:20 pm

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2543436520

Penn had the best NLJ250 placement last year; they also beat NYU the year before. This is not taking into account location, however.

Also, they both placed ~9-10% of their graduates in CA (per their employment data), but NYU unsurprisingly had more graduates in NY (almost 2/3 of graduates vs 2/5 at Penn).

Tough choice (good problem to have), but I'd probably say Penn just for cost of living, unless you're dead set on choosing between only NY and LA.

I second third Sach's point about visiting and seeing which is a better fit for you - that's an underrated part of choosing a school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lsatismylifefornow

New

Post by lsatismylifefornow » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:14 pm

asjdkflasjkdfsdf
Last edited by lsatismylifefornow on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsatismylifefornow

New

Post by lsatismylifefornow » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:14 pm

Also how much weight should I be putting into these NLJ Rankings?

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:16 pm

lsatismylifefornow wrote:Also how much weight should I be putting into these NLJ Rankings?
Not a whole lot. Read the thread in this subforum and the one in the legal employment forum for why.

Take NYU.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:17 pm

Either way, you've won the law school lottery. Congratulations !

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:32 pm

lsatismylifefornow wrote:Also how much weight should I be putting into these NLJ Rankings?
You absolutely should not sacrifice a better fitting school for the difference between ranks; they're both excellent.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:30 pm

1) Any scholly from either?
2) If no to (1), pick the school you like better. They're near enough to peer that it doesn't matter too much.

dixon02

Bronze

Post by dixon02 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:45 pm

Ask each for money. If either takes, go there. If not, attend both ASWs, see which one you like better, go there. Keep in mind COL at Penn will be less.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:33 pm

This poll: Anti-NYU trolling comes home to roost.

I mad? I a little bit mad.

OP, look, if you might want to stay in NYC you should probably go to NYU, all things equal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jetissent

Bronze

Post by jetissent » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:41 pm

Reviving this threat instead of making a second. I am facing the same decision. If Penn matches my NYU scholly I don't think I can justify the COL difference between Philly and NYC. I've visited both an NYU is offering tiny dorm apartments w/out an common space for almost 1500/month. At Penn I could share a decent 2 bedroom apartment for around 1k each. If you're planning on 12 month leases that's 6k a year. x3 years= 18k.

I know people say once you're over 150k in loans some differences are negligible but 18k is 18k....

That said, Philly is NOT Manhattan. Is Manhattan life worth 6k a year over Philly? :/

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:43 pm

jetissent wrote:Reviving this threat instead of making a second. I am facing the same decision. If Penn matches my NYU scholly I don't think I can justify the COL difference between Philly and NYC. I've visited both an NYU is offering tiny dorm apartments w/out an common space for almost 1500/month. At Penn I could share a decent 2 bedroom apartment for around 1k each. If you're planning on 12 month leases that's 6k a year. x3 years= 18k.

I know people say once you're over 150k in loans some differences are negligible but 18k is 18k....

That said, Philly is NOT Manhattan. Is Manhattan life worth 6k a year over Philly? :/
I had a choice between the 2, and went with NYU (as a transfer). In fact we had a number of Penn students transfer over into NYU this year, so there is obviously something to it.

P.S. And after my 7 months here at NYU, I can safely say that this is an amazing place to be, both school-wise and city-wise
Last edited by kaiser on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:46 pm

jetissent wrote:Reviving this threat instead of making a second. I am facing the same decision. If Penn matches my NYU scholly I don't think I can justify the COL difference between Philly and NYC. I've visited both an NYU is offering tiny dorm apartments w/out an common space for almost 1500/month. At Penn I could share a decent 2 bedroom apartment for around 1k each. If you're planning on 12 month leases that's 6k a year. x3 years= 18k.

It's worth to me if that helps haha. I'm making a simar choice between NYU and a peer of Penn. I'm pretty sure that NYU dorms have common rooms though.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:56 pm

I sure think so.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jetissent

Bronze

Post by jetissent » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:56 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:

It's worth to me if that helps haha. I'm making a simar choice between NYU and a peer of Penn. I'm pretty sure that NYU dorms have common rooms though.
I visited D'Agostino. Sadly, they were basically a hallway with three bedrooms off of it. The wall next to the door had a counters/stove but there certainly wasn't anywhere for a couch or tv. (thought the views/roof top areas were sweet!) Can't speak to Mercer though. :/

jetissent

Bronze

Post by jetissent » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:58 pm

@Bronck

I am leaning towards agreeing. I just hope 5 years in the future while I'm in the midst of loan payments I agree. Haha.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:33 am

jetissent wrote:
It's more than 6k a year because 1) you can live very comfortably for maybe 800/month if you split, and 2) food/drink/other goods all cost a lot less. I'd peg it to maybe 10k a year. But obviously if you want to live in NYC then pick NYU. If you want to work in NYC then it's a toss up.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:50 pm

kaiser wrote:

I had a choice between the 2, and went with NYU (as a transfer). In fact we had a number of Penn students transfer over into NYU this year, so there is obviously something to it.

P.S. And after my 7 months here at NYU, I can safely say that this is an amazing place to be, both school-wise and city-wise
That's quite dumb. If you have a high-enough rank to transfer over to NYU, you would have no problem at all getting a top NYC vault job from Penn. I'm guessing (or at least hoping) something else is at play here.

That said, if you're set on NYC and and both options are at sticker, I'd take NYU. It'll give you an extra 10-15% cushion come hiring time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:12 pm

kaiser wrote:

I had these schools as options as a transfer and I chose Penn. Not to say NYU isn't amazing (it is), but I believe Penn's employment outcomes are slightly better.

When I transferred, there were more employers from DC going to Penn than NYU. DC was the market I was originally targetting, so I chose Penn. Plus, I wanted to save money.

There are compelling reasons for each one. To some people, being in NYC for some period of their life is an opportunity they cannot pass up. I just wouldn't make the choice based on a perception that NYU is inherently a better law school as I think you can make a case that each school has its own strengths.

Paragon

New

Post by Paragon » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:47 am

I would love to revive this thread if anyone is out there! I am having a difficult time deciding between Penn and NYU. LST says that Penn has slightly higher big law employment statistics, and I am interested in the Wharton MBA, which pushes me towards Penn. NYU is higher ranked, as a law school and in particular their international law program, which pushes me towards NYU. I will be visiting both. thoughts anyone? help!!

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:02 am

Paragon wrote:I would love to revive this thread if anyone is out there! I am having a difficult time deciding between Penn and NYU. LST says that Penn has slightly higher big law employment statistics, and I am interested in the Wharton MBA, which pushes me towards Penn. NYU is higher ranked, as a law school and in particular their international law program, which pushes me towards NYU. I will be visiting both. thoughts anyone? help!!
Pick the one you like more. There's really nothing else to be said

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:10 pm

penn doesn't have better biglaw placement, it just places more students in biglaw
nyu traditionally has lower levels of participation in oci due to a large number of pi gunners

also remember mba is an extra year and a lot of extra cost

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”