Indiana Bloomington vs Retake?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Should I go to law school in 2012?

Yes
84%
No
16%

Total votes: 31

bdole2

Indiana Bloomington vs Retake?

Postby bdole2 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:59 am

Last edited by bdole2 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xcountryjunkie

Re: Indiana Bloomington vs Retake?

Postby xcountryjunkie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:28 am

If you only think that you can get a 170, go to IUB. From what I can see on LSN, you'd need a 174+ for Northwestern to consider you. You could get WUSTL at less than that, but WUSTL is not worth 105K more than IUB.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:52 am

Do you want to work in Indiana? If yes, go to Indiana.

If no, retake and reapply to schools in geographic areas you would like to live in.

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:59 am

Doorkeeper wrote:Do you want to work in Indiana? If yes, go to Indiana.

If no, retake and reapply to schools in geographic areas you would like to live in.

It appears to me that you did not even read my post. I stated that I would prefer to work in Illinois but that I would be comfortable working in Indianapolis or Northern Indiana. My concern is that I would not be able to get a job in these places since I do not have strong ties to Indiana. I also realize that there will be no high-paying legal jobs in Indiana outside of Indianapolis, but like I said I do not necessarily need a high-paying job.

pancakelover

Postby pancakelover » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:37 am

Indiana. You don't want to sit out another year

checkster

Postby checkster » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:06 pm

I am assuming that the extra $ would only be available for this coming year? Personally, I'd take it and go to IUB. While you might get that 170 and get into someplace better, you might do the same or only a couple points better, in which case you could be looking at the same schools again without that extra $ that IUB is offering.

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:05 am

Hmmm okay. I was planning on going, I just wanted to make sure the internet didn't yell at me and tell me that I'm making horrible decisions.

jrthor10

Postby jrthor10 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:31 am

Even with lack of ties, you have a decent shot at jobs in Indy b/c you are from the area. Of course, decent is assuming you are in the top 10%, as to get Indy Biglaw you need to be at the top of your class.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:14 pm

pancakelover wrote:Indiana. You don't want to sit out another year

Says who? What a stupid comment.

2-3 more points gets you $$ at the Midwestern T20s. 6-8 more points might make NW possible.

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:55 pm

I would definitely rather take WUSTL or NW over IUB. However there is no gurantee I would get in to either one. And I won't have the $$$ at IUB to fall back on if I bomb the LSAT or something.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:57 pm

bdole2 wrote:I would definitely rather take WUSTL or NW over IUB. However there is no gurantee I would get in to either one. And I won't have the $$$ at IUB to fall back on if I bomb the LSAT or something.

I don't know what the details of your deferral are, but what about taking in June? If you do well, you can withdraw and reapply next cycle. Isn't that an option?

Gail

Postby Gail » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:00 pm

bdole2 wrote:
It appears to me that you did not even read my post. I stated that I would prefer to work in Illinois but that I would be comfortable working in Indianapolis or Northern Indiana. My concern is that I would not be able to get a job in these places since I do not have strong ties to Indiana. I also realize that there will be no high-paying legal jobs in Indiana outside of Indianapolis, but like I said I do not necessarily need a high-paying job.

Indiana is one giant Chicago suburb, as is south eastern wisconsin and north-western Illinois. You'll be fine.

Gail

Postby Gail » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:00 pm

romothesavior wrote:
bdole2 wrote:I would definitely rather take WUSTL or NW over IUB. However there is no gurantee I would get in to either one. And I won't have the $$$ at IUB to fall back on if I bomb the LSAT or something.

I don't know what the details of your deferral are, but what about taking in June? If you do well, you can withdraw and reapply next cycle. Isn't that an option?

Don't schools frown heavily upon this?

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:03 pm

romothesavior wrote:

I really wish I had taken the LSAT again earlier this year. I've had my mind set on IUB and only recently started questioning whether it was the right call. The only problem with taking the June LSAT is that I was planning on doing the "summer start" program at Indiana (torts class that starts July 2nd.) And If i did that it would probably be too late to withdraw by the time I got my June LSAT score. I guess I could always not do summer start. Decisions decisions...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:28 pm

Gail wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Don't schools frown heavily upon this?

Frown heavily upon what? Paying a deposit then withdrawing? Happens all the time. The only possible catch would be if OP signed like a binding deferral or something.

Also, schools currently use shady data and farfetched claims to charge students insane rates for shitty job prospects while administrators and faculty line their pockets with nice paychecks. I think prospectives should feel no qualms about doing what is right for them.

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:34 pm

I did not sign a binding deferral. I don't even think I have to pay a seat deposit haha.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:42 pm

First thing is I think you have to figure out how much you value working in Chicago. If it's important to you and you're okay with biglaw (because that is what it will take to pay off sticker debt) then I think you should retake and work for a year (if you haven't) to get NU.

If you don't want biglaw then I still think there is value to at least going to UIUC or WUSTL with a decent scholly since your shot at Chicago is much higher than from IUB. I understand the fear that you won't get NU or WUSTL/UIUC w/ $, but apps are going down and UIUC is recovering from its scandal. I don't think there is a reason to think that getting into those schools is risky.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:24 am

When I was looking at IUB last year their placement numbers for Chicago, their biggest market outside indy, was pitiful. It was something like 12 people. And then DC with 7.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:27 am

Given the information at hand, retake might not be the stock answer in this case even though IUB is kind of scary.

buckythebadger

Postby buckythebadger » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:44 am

bdole2 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I really wish I had taken the LSAT again earlier this year. I've had my mind set on IUB and only recently started questioning whether it was the right call. The only problem with taking the June LSAT is that I was planning on doing the "summer start" program at Indiana (torts class that starts July 2nd.) And If i did that it would probably be too late to withdraw by the time I got my June LSAT score. I guess I could always not do summer start. Decisions decisions...

I would say you should wait and not do the summer start. You would have 3 months to study for the June exam, and with a 166 you already have the basic knowledge of the test so 3 months would be plenty of time to study. I would say take the June test while planning on going to law school in August (IUB isn't a horrible option given what you said about settling in Indiana if you couldn't find work in Chicago). You really would have nothing to lose other your time it takes to study and the $100 something for the test

Return to “Choosing a Law School”