Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JennaX007
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:43 pm

Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby JennaX007 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:38 pm

I'm possibly getting 3-9k add'l scholly $ for NYLS no stip.
I'm highly passionate about going to PI route although I have no connections and experience in PI.
I would be better off financially working for a private firm because of my connections (I'm told that if I change my mind I'm guaranteed a job upon grad. at current employer). I'm leaving said job making 65/year including annual & quarterly bonuses,health plan,401/dbp. I don't know how to drive so I would have to get a car to commute to Hofstra or CUNY (I'm located in Brooklyn). My better half is covering my rent for the next 3-4 years. I am at my peak with retakes, obviously if I could I would.
Thank you in advance.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:41 pm

Would you work while at Fordham PT? If so, would it be at your current job or elsewhere?

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:46 pm

...you would not be making 65k plus sweet bennies after graduating from the first three law schools, and Fordham is only good if you want to do NYC biglaw, and even then it's a rip off at sticker.

Why are you going to law school?

JennaX007
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby JennaX007 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:47 pm

If I accept Fordham pt @sticker, then yes I would work. Salaried half on books and the rest paid by cash. That would also mean forfeiting my health ins. plan which cost 6k/year. Ideally would like to minimize debt. I would transfer from pt to ft after 1st year so this is where my predicament lies.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:49 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Why are you going to law school?

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:54 pm

Fordham PT is the only legitimate choice here. Do not quit your job to go to any of these schools.

Seriously.

Do not do it.

I wouldn't even do Fordham, frankly, but that's not a terrible call. The rest would be objectively awful decisions.

JennaX007
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby JennaX007 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:...you would not be making 65k plus sweet bennies after graduating from the first three law schools, and Fordham is only good if you want to do NYC biglaw, and even then it's a rip off at sticker.

Why are you going to law school?

The last couples of years I get about 5k+ year bonus between check and cash so knowing this is a little depressing. Also knowing that if I were to stay here, in 4-5 years I can become an Assoc.
I want to go to law school to either work for the FBI or DA's office (I had this idea that I could live a meaningful life helping others LOLz), this is where CUNY came in the picture.
Alt. scenario I work as in house counsel for private co. dealing w. liab/bop/epli insurance.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby tennisking88 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:00 pm

JennaX007 wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:...you would not be making 65k plus sweet bennies after graduating from the first three law schools, and Fordham is only good if you want to do NYC biglaw, and even then it's a rip off at sticker.

Why are you going to law school?

The last couples of years I get about 5k+ year bonus between check and cash so knowing this is a little depressing. Also knowing that if I were to stay here, in 4-5 years I can become an Assoc.
I want to go to law school to either work for the FBI or DA's office (I had this idea that I could live a meaningful life helping others LOLz), this is where CUNY came in the picture.
Alt. scenario I work as in house counsel for private co. dealing w. liab/bop/epli insurance.


For PI do not go to Fordham.

Edit: if you're absolutely guaranteed a job at your current firm, I would take the cheapest option. Fordham does not have a leg up in placing in PI or gov't jobs.
Last edited by tennisking88 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby Vronsky » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:02 pm

I would recommend Hofstra (I also went there 1L and transferred out). A few things relevant to you:

-have you tried negotiating your scholarship? If you lay out your options to them in a professional manner and respectfully ask for an increase, they may up you by 5k (they did so for me). The key is to be polite, not make an ultimatum. It might help to go out there and visit the school and speak with the admissions/scholarship staff. The guy you want to talk to is name McKey or McCay or something.

-if you finish in the top 10% after 1L (which isn't that hard given the number of Long Island dead beats there), you'll get an additional 10k for the deans scholarship. That would take you to basically full scholarship, plus you have living expenses covered as mentioned.

-there are some PI opportunities there. They focus heavily on 1Ls attending the PILF fair @ NYU, and I know several people who (unpaid) jobs for the summer there. Also, Professor Sample who is a very well respected Civ Pro professor there worked for the Brennan Center which is considered ELITE PI. Although he was unable to get anyone a job there as a 1L, I do know that there was an offer that went out for a 2L. He would be a good mentor for your PI interest.

-regarding transportation, I don't think you need a car. I know there's a shuttle from the LIRR to the school, and there are also busses from BK and carpools available as a decent number of students commute from BK.

-you also have the chance to transfer out if you could kill it during 1L and get into, say, NYU (although no one from my year was able to get accepted there as a transfer).

Let me know if you have any questions.
Last edited by Vronsky on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:03 pm

JennaX007 wrote:If I accept Fordham pt @sticker, then yes I would work. Salaried half on books and the rest paid by cash. That would also mean forfeiting my health ins. plan which cost 6k/year. Ideally would like to minimize debt. I would transfer from pt to ft after 1st year so this is where my predicament lies.


Why transfer from PT to FT?

NYLS/Hofstra/CUNY are really low on the NYC totem pole. Fordham is well respected in the city. It seems like Fordham PT is a great choice for you. You get to keep a job that pays over 50k while still going to law school (thus making it so you don't have to take out debt). Transferring from PT to FT will cause you to take on more debt since you won't have the job that covers all your expenses. Just stay PT for 4 years.

User avatar
Ersatz Haderach
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:42 am

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:06 pm

Fordham, obviously. There is no debate here. You get the best school, keep your job, and you have the possibility of loan forgiveness since you want to do PI.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby tennisking88 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:09 pm

bk1 wrote:
JennaX007 wrote:If I accept Fordham pt @sticker, then yes I would work. Salaried half on books and the rest paid by cash. That would also mean forfeiting my health ins. plan which cost 6k/year. Ideally would like to minimize debt. I would transfer from pt to ft after 1st year so this is where my predicament lies.


Why transfer from PT to FT?

NYLS/Hofstra/CUNY are really low on the NYC totem pole. Fordham is well respected in the city. It seems like Fordham PT is a great choice for you. You get to keep a job that pays over 50k while still going to law school (thus making it so you don't have to take out debt). Transferring from PT to FT will cause you to take on more debt since you won't have the job that covers all your expenses. Just stay PT for 4 years.


For what she wants to do, PI work, Fordham is not a good option. Fordham is mostly known for placing their class in private gigs. The problem is that, if she wants, she already has a private gig lined up after school, so it may be more useful to think about the cost of the education rather than the education itself. I also think work+school will blow. Just my personal opinion, but I'd find it really stressful.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby tennisking88 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:09 pm

Ersatz Haderach wrote:Fordham, obviously. There is no debate here. You get the best school, keep your job, and you have the possibility of loan forgiveness since you want to do PI.


Just bc Fordham has LRAP doesn't mean they place well in PI.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:10 pm

tennisking88 wrote:I also think work+school will blow.


So would law school debt and unemployment.

User avatar
Ersatz Haderach
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:42 am

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:11 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
JennaX007 wrote:If I accept Fordham pt @sticker, then yes I would work. Salaried half on books and the rest paid by cash. That would also mean forfeiting my health ins. plan which cost 6k/year. Ideally would like to minimize debt. I would transfer from pt to ft after 1st year so this is where my predicament lies.


Why transfer from PT to FT?

NYLS/Hofstra/CUNY are really low on the NYC totem pole. Fordham is well respected in the city. It seems like Fordham PT is a great choice for you. You get to keep a job that pays over 50k while still going to law school (thus making it so you don't have to take out debt). Transferring from PT to FT will cause you to take on more debt since you won't have the job that covers all your expenses. Just stay PT for 4 years.


For what she wants to do, PI work, Fordham is not a good option. Fordham is mostly known for placing their class in private gigs. The problem is that, if she wants, she already has a private gig lined up after school, so it may be more useful to think about the cost of the education rather than the education itself. I also think work+school will blow. Just my personal opinion, but I'd find it really stressful.


If that's really true, then you can consider Hofstra, or not going to law school. But I have trouble believing someone at Fordham who wants to do PI would find themselves at a disadvantage. But I really don't know - I suggest checking the sort of PI places you want to work, and see where people got their JDs.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:13 pm

tennisking88 wrote:For what she wants to do, PI work, Fordham is not a good option. Fordham is mostly known for placing their class in private gigs. The problem is that, if she wants, she already has a private gig lined up after school, so it may be more useful to think about the cost of the education rather than the education itself. I also think work+school will blow. Just my personal opinion, but I'd find it really stressful.

Fordham will be stronger for public interest work than any of the other options. CUNY might be known for PI, but that is more a function of it being okay for PI and terrible for private placement. Fordham will be okay-to-goodish across the board.

JennaX007
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby JennaX007 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:13 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Fordham PT is the only legitimate choice here. Do not quit your job to go to any of these schools.

Seriously.

Do not do it.

I wouldn't even do Fordham, frankly, but that's not a terrible call. The rest would be objectively awful decisions.


See my post above about going in pt then transferring after the 1st year ft but having no income once ft schedule kicks in. If I pick Fordham pt is there a chance for scholarship the subsequent yr if I manage to be at top of the class. I refuse to pay sticker price for all 3 years. Education in Fordham would mean to go to the insurance route and work for private firm.

at Tennisking: what's wrong with Fordham pt?
Also I paid my ug degree with my salary (I have about 4k left to pay). Parents were absent, one in another county, the other irresponsible with money.
I really don't know whether I should head towards private or public (which would be risky since as I mention no connections whatsoever). If it's PI then it's either Hofstra or CUNY.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby tennisking88 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:15 pm

Ersatz Haderach wrote:But I have trouble believing someone at Fordham who wants to do PI would find themselves at a disadvantage. But I really don't know - I suggest checking the sort of PI places you want to work, and see where people got their JDs.


Exactly. I would say figure out what kind of PI work you wanna do, and try to talk to atty's who do what you want. Or look through their CVs. I'm pretty positive for most PI work, prestige does not matter at all.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:20 pm

JennaX007 wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:Fordham PT is the only legitimate choice here. Do not quit your job to go to any of these schools.

Seriously.

Do not do it.

I wouldn't even do Fordham, frankly, but that's not a terrible call. The rest would be objectively awful decisions.


See my post above about going in pt then transferring after the 1st year ft but having no income once ft schedule kicks in. If I pick Fordham pt is there a chance for scholarship the subsequent yr if I manage to be at top of the class. I refuse to pay sticker price for all 3 years. Education in Fordham would mean to go to the insurance route and work for private firm.

at Tennisking: what's wrong with Fordham pt?
Also I paid my ug degree with my salary (I have about 4k left to pay). Parents were absent, one in another county, the other irresponsible with money.
I really don't know whether I should head towards private or public (which would be risky since as I mention no connections whatsoever). If it's PI then it's either Hofstra or CUNY.

Why are you planning on transferring to full time? I didn't see that question answered.

I think you really need to be more realistic here. You're talking about learning to drive and buying a car to go to Hofstra? It just doesn't make any sense. You're almost assuredly making more money now than you will after graduating from any of these schools, but particularly NYLS, Hofstra or CUNY. You'll be lucky to have a job at all after graduating. This isn't hyperbole; take it from someone who attends law school in NYC and knows 2Ls, 3Ls, and recent graduates at New York area law schools up and down the rankings. People at Brooklyn and Cardozo are having a ridiculously tough time finding anything even after passing the bar. CUNY, NYLS and Hofstra are clearly lower on the totem pole than BLS or Cardozo. Fordham is a respected school, and you can mitigate debt and unemployment risk by working while attending. The others are truthfully very likely to put you in a bad position. Sorry to speak frankly about this but I genuinely think you are on the verge of making a costly mistake.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby tennisking88 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:21 pm

JennaX007 wrote: If I pick Fordham pt is there a chance for scholarship the subsequent yr if I manage to be at top of the class


This is way too premature.

JennaX007 wrote:. I refuse to pay sticker price for all 3 years. Education in Fordham would mean to go to the insurance route and work for private firm.


Well then.

JennaX007 wrote: at Tennisking: what's wrong with Fordham pt?.


Absolutely nothing. It just may be useless for what you want to do.

JennaX007 wrote: I really don't know whether I should head towards private or public (which would be risky since as I mention no connections whatsoever). If it's PI then it's either Hofstra or CUNY.


If you want private, but DON'T want to work at your firm, then Fordham is the way to go. If you want to keep working at your firm, and are sure you have secured a job, then Fordham is useless, and I'd take the cheapest option. If you want PI, take the cheapest option.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:23 pm

tennisking88 wrote:I'm pretty positive for most PI work, prestige does not matter at all.


I don't think this is right, but it's not something I know too much about.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby tennisking88 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:24 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote: I think you really need to be more realistic here. You're talking about learning to drive and buying a car to go to Hofstra? It just doesn't make any sense. You're almost assuredly making more money now than you will after graduating from any of these schools, but particularly NYLS, Hofstra or CUNY. You'll be lucky to have a job at all after graduating. This isn't hyperbole; take it from someone who attends law school in NYC and knows 2Ls, 3Ls, and recent graduates at New York area law schools up and down the rankings. People at Brooklyn and Cardozo are having a ridiculously tough time finding anything even after passing the bar. CUNY, NYLS and Hofstra are clearly lower on the totem pole than BLS or Cardozo. Fordham is a respected school, and you can mitigate debt and unemployment risk by working while attending. The others are truthfully very likely to put you in a bad position. Sorry to speak frankly about this but I genuinely think you are on the verge of making a costly mistake.


Unless I'm mistaken, she was guaranteed an Associate position with her current firm, regardless of where she went.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby tennisking88 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:24 pm

bk1 wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:I'm pretty positive for most PI work, prestige does not matter at all.


I don't think this is right, but it's not something I know too much about.


Then why say it?

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:26 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote: I think you really need to be more realistic here. You're talking about learning to drive and buying a car to go to Hofstra? It just doesn't make any sense. You're almost assuredly making more money now than you will after graduating from any of these schools, but particularly NYLS, Hofstra or CUNY. You'll be lucky to have a job at all after graduating. This isn't hyperbole; take it from someone who attends law school in NYC and knows 2Ls, 3Ls, and recent graduates at New York area law schools up and down the rankings. People at Brooklyn and Cardozo are having a ridiculously tough time finding anything even after passing the bar. CUNY, NYLS and Hofstra are clearly lower on the totem pole than BLS or Cardozo. Fordham is a respected school, and you can mitigate debt and unemployment risk by working while attending. The others are truthfully very likely to put you in a bad position. Sorry to speak frankly about this but I genuinely think you are on the verge of making a costly mistake.


Unless I'm mistaken, she was guaranteed an Associate position with her current firm, regardless of where she went.

Yeah. It's a consideration but I would be wary. A lot can change in four years. A promise like that isn't worth the paper it isn't written on.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:28 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:I'm pretty positive for most PI work, prestige does not matter at all.


I don't think this is right, but it's not something I know too much about.


Then why say it?


Because it doesn't comport with what PI-focused TLS'ers have said.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: oliviaj_j and 1 guest