Nova Law vs. Ole Miss Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
atw1989

Nova Law vs. Ole Miss Law

Postby atw1989 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:44 pm

I am debating between the two law schools above. I have gotten into nova with a scholarship. I am still waiting to hear back from ole miss. I unfortunetly applied late and will not hear back from them anytime soon but if I do get in I am realy torn between the two. I would like some insight from anyone currently at the schools or whom are also considering them to help me out. Here is a little pro and con breakdown I have so far.

NOVA LAW:
+ 45K scholarship over 3 years
+ Live at home to save money
+ Where I grew up I like the area
- 13 law schools in the state of florida, I am afraid of graduating and competing against the other thousands of gradaute in the state for a job.
- not as good as a reputation vs the other FL schools. (UF,FSU,UM,Stetson)
- I hear the students can be cut throat

Ole Miss Law

+ Only two law schools in the whole state, smaller competition when I graduate
+ Never been but hear beautiful campus, brand new buildings, all around very nice area.
+ I think it would be nice to move to a new state and start fresh
- Out of State tuiton
- Cold Weather

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

caputlupinum

Re: Nova Law vs. Ole Miss Law

Postby caputlupinum » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:46 pm

atw1989 wrote:I am debating between the two law schools above. I have gotten into nova with a scholarship. I am still waiting to hear back from ole miss. I unfortunetly applied late and will not hear back from them anytime soon but if I do get in I am realy torn between the two. I would like some insight from anyone currently at the schools or whom are also considering them to help me out. Here is a little pro and con breakdown I have so far.

NOVA LAW:
- 13 law schools in the state of florida, I am afraid of graduating and competing against the other thousands of gradaute in the state for a job.

Ole Miss Law

+ Never been but hear beautiful campus, brand new buildings, all around very nice area.
- Out of State tuiton
- Cold Weather

What are the stipulations on the scholarship?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:56 pm

atw1989 wrote:- 13 law schools in the state of florida, I am afraid of graduating and competing against the other thousands of gradaute in the state for a job.

These should scare the shit out of you. Florida is a small legal market, and it has way too many law schools. You could close half of them tomorrow and I'll bet you you'd still wind up with tons of unemployed graduates. Of all the schools in the state, Nova is close to the bottom of the barrel. Your odds of getting a decent job at Nova are pretty small. The low cost is appealing, but it could very easily result in unemployment in three years. That would be a waste.

This is generally a bad idea. Do not relocate to go to school in a small, parochial market.

If you can't go to at least UF/FSU, you should probably should reconsider law school.

Also...
- Cold Weather

Silly Floridians. :lol:

caputlupinum

Postby caputlupinum » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:59 pm

romothesavior wrote:
atw1989 wrote:- 13 law schools in the state of florida, I am afraid of graduating and competing against the other thousands of gradaute in the state for a job.

These should scare the shit out of you. Florida is a small legal market, and it has way too many law schools. You could close half of them tomorrow and I'll bet you you'd still wind up with tons of unemployed graduates. Of all the schools in the state, Nova is close to the bottom of the barrel. Your odds of getting a decent job at Nova are pretty small. The low cost is appealing, but it could very easily result in unemployment in three years. That would be a waste.

This is generally a bad idea. Do not relocate to go to school in a small, parochial market.

If you can't go to at least UF/FSU, you should probably should reconsider law school.

Also...
- Cold Weather

Silly Floridians. :lol:
'

I agree but Nova at zero debt with good standing stipulation is not that bad if OP has no intentions of ever working in a NLJ firm... This question really comes down to what does the OP want to do and what are the scholarship stipulations..

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:03 pm

atw1989 wrote:I am debating between the two law schools above. I have gotten into nova with a scholarship. I am still waiting to hear back from ole miss. I unfortunetly applied late and will not hear back from them anytime soon but if I do get in I am realy torn between the two. I would like some insight from anyone currently at the schools or whom are also considering them to help me out. Here is a little pro and con breakdown I have so far.

NOVA LAW:

Ole Miss Law

- Out of State tuiton
- Cold Weather

Have you looked at a map?
The women at ole miss are retardly hot.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:06 pm

I would not go to Nova even if they paid me to do so with full tuition, $30K a year in stipends, and free hookers and blow.

FWIW

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:08 pm

spleenworship wrote:I would not go to Nova even if they paid me to do so with full tuition, $30K a year in stipends, and free hookers and blow.

FWIW

wait, they are offering this? That actually would probably get me there. That's how my life is anyway, so why not get a law degree while I do it.
Last edited by Mr. Pancakes on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:08 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:19 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:20 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
spleenworship wrote:I would not go to Nova even if they paid me to do so with full tuition, $30K a year in stipends, and free hookers and blow.

FWIW

wait, they are offering this? That actually would probably get me there. That's how my life is anyway, so why not get a law degree while I do it.

Actually, now that you say this, I might consider it if they did offer that... :wink:

They need to stop offering just $$ and start offering hookers and blow.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:24 pm

Tuition at ole miss is only 13k for non res.
Interesting.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:28 pm

/

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:30 pm

hoos89 wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:Tuition at ole miss is only 13k for non res.
Interesting.

That's per semester.

nuvrmnd. frowney face.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:32 pm

Unless somebody is holding a close relative hostage until you enroll in law school next year, you need to retake and try for one of the higher ranked FL schools.

atw1989

Postby atw1989 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:35 pm

The stipulations are to basically just keep a good GPA. Above a 3.0 and I get 15k a year for my three years. I am new to this site and I do not know what all these abbreviations you have used mean. What does OP and NLJ mean?

One of my fears of Ole Miss is that it is Parochial in which me not being from there and not having any connections from family or undergrad there I would have a problem getting a job. But I would like to think that Ole Miss job / internship placement would be able to help me network?

I have not read the 1000 page thread about Nova being that bad. Is it really that bad?

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:35 pm

flame

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:39 pm

atw1989 wrote:The stipulations are to basically just keep a good GPA. Above a 3.0 and I get 15k a year for my three years. I am new to this site and I do not know what all these abbreviations you have used mean. What does OP and NLJ mean?

One of my fears of Ole Miss is that it is Parochial in which me not being from there and not having any connections from family or undergrad there I would have a problem getting a job. But I would like to think that Ole Miss job / internship placement would be able to help me network?

I have not read the 1000 page thread about Nova being that bad. Is it really that bad?

Job market is tough. I had a friend who went there and did well after. What are your stats? When I first got on this site I was uninformed and bashed. I am now thankful that I was because if I hadn't been I would probably would be getting ready to have a huge amount of debt at a shitty school. Do your homework. If you are this uninformed, then you should probably retake and sit this cycle out.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:39 pm

rad lulz wrote: Mississippi is very parochial. I would NOT go to Ole Miss if you're not from there.

Ole Miss doesn't do that well to begin with.

OP, don't go there if you aren't willing to start your own firm post graduation or return to whatever it is you are doing now. Seriously, only 52/162 graduates of the class of ---2010--- got full time jobs in firms (solos included), with less than 2/3s being employed full time in any occupation (temporary jobs included).

How parochial the market may or may not be is the very least of your problems.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:41 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:42 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

caputlupinum

Postby caputlupinum » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:43 pm

atw1989 wrote:The stipulations are to basically just keep a good GPA. Above a 3.0 and I get 15k a year for my three years. I am new to this site and I do not know what all these abbreviations you have used mean. What does OP and NLJ mean?

I thought it was 45k a year scholarship NVM definitely do not accumulate debt from NOVA...

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:43 pm

Before you consider Nova, you need to call the school and find out what the grading curve is. Law school courses are curved like engineering or science courses. A 3.0 could mean you have to place in the top 25% of the class to keep your scholarship. This is very hard to do.

You also need to talk to current students and look on these forums to find out if Nova places all or most students with scholarships in the same section so they will all be competing against each other (in law school you are graded against the same group of people during your first year). Therefore, they are betting on a set % of 1Ls doing worse than 3.0 and losing their scholarships. This is called section-stacking. IMO any school that section stacks and does not blatantly disclose this should not be attended as a rule.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:45 pm

/

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:55 pm

Don't go to either. Seriously, consider retaking. If you have to go with one, I'd say Ole Miss because at least you have Mississippi as a state that would be willing to hire you for something.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”