WUSTL w/ Full vs. UTexas w/ $9.5/yr vs. Penn @ Sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which is the best option?

Penn @ Sticker (Presumably no scholarship but still possible)
43%
UTexas with $9.5k/year (In-State)
46%
Wash U with Full Tuition
11%

Total votes: 35

dixon02

Re: WUSTL w/ Full vs. UTexas w/ $9.5/yr vs. Penn @ Sticker

Postby dixon02 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:11 am

ACROOS170 wrote:Dixon02: Maybe I'm looking at this incorrectly, but it doesn't seem that a bottom third finish at Penn is nearly as big of a problem as it is at UT. Here is what I am looking at...

Penn: --LinkRemoved--
UTexas: --LinkRemoved--

Do you get a different impression?

Those links aren't working for me.

I would assume finishing bottom third at Penn is going to be better than finishing bottom third at UT (it damn well better be for the sake of everyone at Penn.)

I can't really comment on how hard it is to get a job in Texas if you finish bottom third at UT (though I'm sure that info is available). Given that you're from the area and hopefully have some ties, hopefully you would at least have a chance. Your bigger question seems to be: is there a justifiable reason to choose Penn here? The answer is most definitely yes. I don't think it's the course most of us would choose in your shoes, but it's not as crazy as paying sticker at Cornell vs. a full ride at Vandy, for instance (not picking on Cornell, just a random bottom T14 example).

As an aside: have you applied/heard from the lower T-14? Seems like if you could get money from a school in the lower range, that might be a happy medium.

ACROOS170

Postby ACROOS170 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:24 am

Dixon02: Still waiting on Harvard & Stanford on decision but not holding my breath. Got into Duke... No word on $. Can't imagine they would offer something competitive to UTexas (In-state + ~10k scholly) at this point.

Penn data shows that roughly 30% report salaries below $160k or did not report...
UT data shows that roughly 70% report salaries below $160k or did not report...

UT data concerns me much more than Penn... Question is whether that data is worth ~$90k

kwais

Postby kwais » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:36 am

I was in a similar situation last year, chose the higher ranked school and the debt and am supremely happy with the choice. The additional percentage in placement in biglaw takes a lot of pressure off. I think UT is a really good choice here but don't think you are crazy for wanting Penn

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:37 am

Do you have work experience? Taking a year off then getting a full ride at Northwestern seems pretty credited (if they still have the full-ride early decision program).

eaper

Postby eaper » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:38 am

As to your calculations, you also have to take into account that you will probably be taxed a lot higher if you go to Penn, since you are less likely to be in Texas. Of course, if you are that sure you can get back into Texas, coming from Penn, I guess that would be a non-factor. Although, I suppose you could just argue that other taxes will make it evenish. Maybe? :oops:

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:27 am

You should make a poll. I think UT is probably TCR here because it is your best shot at Texas biglaw and it would be reasonably priced.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:03 am

It doesn't really make sense to leave Texas since you want to work there (especially since you're not leaving for HYS). Having said that, UT is still kinda expensive in your situation and the job prospects, while good, are not stellar.

I think that the right move here is to negotiate more aid from UT. They are amenable to scholarship negotiation. Have you applied to Vandy, Gtown, UCLA, etc? Use those scholarships to squeeze some more aid out of UT and then come here.

sach1282

Postby sach1282 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:36 am

crit_racer wrote:I think that the right move here is to negotiate more aid from UT.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:55 am

sach1282 wrote:
crit_racer wrote:I think that the right move here is to negotiate more aid from UT.

He should also work to get something out of Penn. A 170/4.0 should be getting a pretty good scholly:

http://penn.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... ,8&type=jd

ACROOS170

Postby ACROOS170 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:53 am

I'm going to add a poll to this to gauge how much of a consensus Texas is... After considering all of these posts and talking with some legal professionals I know, I'm about 45%-40%-15% between Penn, Texas, and Wash U respectively.

Thanks again for all of the input.

Note: Retake not an option at this point.

ACROOS170

Postby ACROOS170 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:45 am

kwais wrote:I was in a similar situation last year, chose the higher ranked school and the debt and am supremely happy with the choice. The additional percentage in placement in biglaw takes a lot of pressure off. I think UT is a really good choice here but don't think you are crazy for wanting Penn

I assume that anybody at top schools make this choice. Presumably, people who apply to the top ten schools also apply to sub T-14 schools for insurance. Likely, they receive significant $ offers from those schools but they choose the prestigious school anyway. I can't imagine that all of those people go on their parents' dime...

What made you choose the higher ranked school over the scholarship? Do you know if any of your peers regret their decision? At your school (mind disclosing?), does the bottom third have a hard time finding high paying jobs? Without reasonable assurance of a high paying job, I find it hard to justify so much loans... THANKS!!

kitkat450

Postby kitkat450 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:44 pm

I'm facing a similar decision. While full tuition at WashU is nothing to sneeze at, I think that UT may be a happy medium. In-state plus $$ without any increase in scholarships would make it approx. 20,000 a year.

I think you may need to decide exactly what "biglaw" means to you. Do you only want top Vault firms or would you be ok working at a smaller firm but still making sig. $$?. The way I read UT's employment #s 60% of grads go to firms and their average salary is $134,102. That doesn't sound like as dire a situation as is often discussed on this board.

http://www.utexas.edu/law/career/prospective/stats.html

I would suggest visiting both schools and maybe getting some better data from UTs career services on biglaw placement.

disclaimer* I'm also seriously considering Texas over a higher school and don't think I want big law, so I'm not as well versed in the stats therefore my comments above could be completely wrong.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:08 pm

ACROOS170 wrote:If nothing else, I think this just shows that it isn't as simple as it may seem at first.

I think it is that simple, and that you would be foolish to pick somewhere other than Texas.

Edit - of the Penn/Texas/WUSTL options.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”