Maryland vs. Baltimore

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Maryland or Baltimore?

Maryland (no scholarship)
75%
Baltimore (less than 10k/yr)
13%
Baltimore (if I can negotiate more money)
13%

Total votes: 40

HellOnHeels

Maryland vs. Baltimore

Postby HellOnHeels » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:46 pm

I'm in at both schools. Maryland has not offered a scholarship, and I'm afraid they probably won't. Baltimore has offered me a small scholarship (less than 10k/yr). I have gotten many generous scholarships from schools better ranked than Baltimore.

Is it better to just take Maryland (even at in-state sticker), or would it be worth trying to negotiate a better scholarship at Baltimore? When would Baltimore become the better choice (full scholarship? half scholarship? full scholarship plus stipend?)

I am perfectly fine staying in the Baltimore/Maryland area after graduation, as I am already here.

crossarmant

Re: Maryland vs. Baltimore

Postby crossarmant » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:55 pm

If you're looking for living in MD and are interested in living there after graduation, stick with UMD. Baltimore seems to be quite the joke. The even make fun of it in the first season of The Wire. 10k is not enough to justify hurting your potential career by going to U of Baltimore.

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:56 am

In state at Maryland isn't that bad (relatively) is it?

Also I was accepted to both schools, too, with a slightly larger scholarship to UB. I do not like the stips and seriously doubt I'd go to Baltimore. Maryland seems to be a much better thought of school.

I'd be interested to see where the thread goes because I'm strongly favoring Maryland over my other top choice right now (Illinois with 25% scholly, no stips) because of the price.

shastaca

Postby shastaca » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:37 am

Given the recent firing of the Dean and the uproar it caused at Baltimore I'd back away from Bmore right now.

Further, the University uses the law school as a cash cow more than most universities do, so unless you like to get milked I'd avoid it.

Maryland also has more flexibility, meaning you can actually work part time 2L and 3L years quite reasonably getting you experience and network opportunities that you will need to get the best job from either school.

yg13

Postby yg13 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:44 pm

If you want to stay local both schools have a good rep. Try to get more money from Baltimore to make it more worth it. Good luck

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:14 am

thanks for the responses everyone. the poll is very one sided!

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:24 am

if your scholarship has stipulations, beware of UB. I've heard from a friend who attended that the curve on 1L classes is set very low. I think he said like 2.7 was the average in the class. This means that if you're required to maintain a 3.0--or god forbid a 3.2--you'd have to be toward the top of the class just to keep your scholarship.

VTarmyjag

Postby VTarmyjag » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:03 pm

Last edited by VTarmyjag on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VTarmyjag

Postby VTarmyjag » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:38 pm

notstevedoocy

Postby notstevedoocy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:37 pm

Congrats on getting into Maryland!

I'd be very surprised if you chose UB, though as you may have heard, you can do just fine in the state of Maryland with a top GPA from there. Just make sure you are comfortable with staying in Baltimore after graduation if you choose to go to UB because job prospects are incredibly regional and nonexistent if you don't graduate at the top of your class.

I had to make a similar decision going into law school and was very happy with my choice to go to Maryland. If you have any questions about the school feel free to message me.

Also, be aware that if you are not a Maryland resident you are never going to get in-state tuition. It is theoretically possible but I've never met anyone who's succeeded.

z0rk

Postby z0rk » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:29 pm

I live in MD and work at a mid-sized firm. I also applied to UMD and I am waitlisted. I did not apply to Ubalt. I'd be happy to offer a local big/mid sized law perspective on Ubalt via a PM. That said, I think you should assess your goals in going to law school as that will have the most impact in choosing between the two.

I know a number of very successful people involved in state politics who went to UBalt. I know a lot of top-firm folks who went to UMD. Both groups are not mutually exclusive of people from the other school, but I certainly feel there is a difference in opportunities depending on where you go. (Note: This is coming from an outsiders perspective. I have lived in MD for 7 years, but I was not raised here.)

Bottom line though, I reccomend UMD without the scholly. Do you have in-state tuition?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”