Am I reading this correctly? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Jaeger

Bronze

Am I reading this correctly?

Post by Jaeger » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:49 am

I suppose it's not terribly surprising but correct me if I'm wrong...

At Georgetown, basically (roughly) 43.8% of grads are employed in the private sector and make median incomes of 160k at 25th and 160k at 75th percentiles.

--LinkRemoved--

At George Washington, basically (again, roughly) 51.1% of grads are employed in the private sector and make median incomes of 160k at 25th and 160k at 75th percentiles.

--LinkRemoved--

Essentially, GW does 7.3% better? Something doesn't add up (not just because GW places better than GULC but also because these employment figures seem really good). Someone smarter than me explain this to me.

L’Étranger

Bronze

Re: Am I reading this correctly?

Post by L’Étranger » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:24 am

While a worthwhile effort, the data on lawschooltransparency is overall not of much value. The 43.8% vs. 51.1% is based solely on the number of respective students that reported their salaries. Less students reported at GULC so their percentage and percentile are both lower than those of GW.

Generally, what is somewhat useful on the site is the data relating to private sector placement - most of which can be assumed to be with firms (since hardly anyone goes straight from LS to in-house). And in private sector placement GW and GULC are about equal at 70% which actually isn't so crazy considering that GW is not that bad of a school. Plus we don't know how many grads at GULC wanted to go into PI/Gov.

A HUGE confounding factor when looking at data like this and comparing top schools is that not everyone who goes to law school wants a firm job when they graduate. To support this point consider Yale which only placed a measly 43.5% in the private sector (compared to 70% at GW). Clearly the reason for the low private sector placement is that more than a quarter of Yale's class did ArtIII clerkships (which is a shit-ton) plus a bunch more likely elected to do high profile PI and Govt work.

The data that would really be helpful when comparing top schools and is unavailable is how many grads that wanted big law got big law.

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:50 am

L’Étranger wrote:the data on lawschooltransparency is overall based solely on the number of respective students that reported their salaries..

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:53 am

tyro wrote:
L’Étranger wrote:the data on lawschooltransparency is overall based solely on the number of respective students that reported their salaries..

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they try to account for the number that don't report salaries by doing some kind of averaging.

For example:

97.50% employed at 9 months
x 70% employed in private sector
x 75% in private sector reporting salary
= 51.1%% of all graduates

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:15 am

Jaeger wrote:
tyro wrote:

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they try to account for the number that don't report salaries by doing some kind of averaging.

For example:

You can't adjust for error when 30-60% of the sample didn't respond to the survey.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

instantwonton

New

Post by instantwonton » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:14 am

Even if GW does have an actual higher percentage of people in the private sector, that doesn't account for the people that self-selected into other options, such as PI.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:52 pm

I personally don't put a ton of stock in LST. Great concept, and I wish it would have taken off, but sometimes the data just doesn't seem right.

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:55 pm

romothesavior wrote:I personally don't put a ton of stock in LST. Great concept, and I wish it would have taken off, but sometimes the data just doesn't seem right.
Thats because it isn't usually accurate... I never look at it, if you want accurate data get it from the Law school publications.

3rd party sites dont often have the up to date accurate info.

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:58 pm

Also keep in mind that this data is from 2009, when the market was much, much better. This is prob the biggest reason not to put stock into LST - their data is out of date.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:09 pm

benburns214 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I personally don't put a ton of stock in LST. Great concept, and I wish it would have taken off, but sometimes the data just doesn't seem right.
Thats because it isn't usually accurate... I never look at it, if you want accurate data get it from the Law school publications.

The data is reported by the schools to USNWR who then gives it to LST who collates it in a nice format.

My main use for LST is showing the percentage of full time, bar required jobs for schools. Even though it's out of date, it paints a pretty bleak picture for a lot of schools.

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:15 pm

tennisking88 wrote:Also keep in mind that this data is from 2009, when the market was much, much better. This is prob the biggest reason not to put stock into LST - their data is out of date.
Haha in 2009?? When the market was better?!?!?! Do you have any idea what your saying? The market was 100 times worse in 2008 and 2009... better check your sources dude.

But yes... LST's data is out of date and incorrect.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:18 pm

benburns214 wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:Also keep in mind that this data is from 2009, when the market was much, much better. This is prob the biggest reason not to put stock into LST - their data is out of date.
Haha in 2009?? When the market was better?!?!?! Do you have any idea what your saying? The market was 100 times worse in 2008 and 2009... better check your sources dude.

I've never seen anything on there that's incorrect (comparing it to the school's data). Incomplete, yes, because schools usually report incomplete stats.

I agree that the biggest problem is that its so out of date. When will we see 2010 figures on there?

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:21 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
benburns214 wrote:

I've never seen anything on there that's incorrect (comparing it to the school's data). Incomplete, yes, because schools usually report incomplete stats.

I agree that the biggest problem is that its so out of date. When will we see 2010 figures on there?
When data has to be transfered through multiple sources to a 3rd party site like LST is, then there is bound to be errors.

Nearly half of the schools I applied to had incorrect employment and salary data on LST. It's not LST's fault... its just how things work, which is why i dont use 3rd party sites for this kind of thing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Chucky21

Bronze

Post by Chucky21 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:22 pm

benburns214 wrote:

This! 2009 was not a good year... now is not great, but is better than 09, especially when talking about firms hiring new associates.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:23 pm

benburns214 wrote:

Class of 2009 did OCI in 2007. Granted that while hose who didn't get jobs through OCI felt the full brunt of ITE, those who got jobs through OCI did not. I'm not entirely sure how deferrals and all that got reported to USNWR, but I imagine that people who got deferred were still counted as having 160k/year jobs.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:24 pm

benburns214 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:
benburns214 wrote:

When data has to be transfered through multiple sources to a 3rd party site like LST is, then there is bound to be errors.

Nearly half of the schools I applied to had incorrect employment and salary data on LST. It's not LST's fault... its just how things work, which is why i dont use 3rd party sites for this kind of thing.
Which ones? You should be contacting LST To let them know which schools they have inaccurate data for. The more reliable this is as a tool, the better for prospective law students.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:25 pm

benburns214 wrote:

The CLASS of 2009. Which means they did OCI in August 2007, before anyone had figured out quite how bad the recession was going to be.

ETA: Got the scoop.
Last edited by 20130312 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

deebo12

New

Post by deebo12 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:25 pm

tyro wrote:
Jaeger wrote:
tyro wrote:

For example:

You can't adjust for error when 30-60% of the sample didn't respond to the survey.
I love the double-sided nature of TLS, where they are dogmatic about LST's numbers and rigid about how justified they are... when it's a lower ranked school. When it's GWU, oh it must be flawed.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:25 pm

benburns214 wrote: if you want accurate data get it from the Law school publications.
wut?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:26 pm

deebo12 wrote:I love the double-sided nature of TLS, where they are dogmatic about LST's numbers and rigid about how justified they are... when it's a lower ranked school. When it's GWU, oh it must be flawed.
It couldn't be that TLS is actually different people with differing views, that wouldn't make any sense at all.

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:31 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
benburns214 wrote: if you want accurate data get it from the Law school publications.
wut?
You confused buddy?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:32 pm

benburns214 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
wut?
You confused buddy?
I think he's curious what you're talking about. Are you saying the best data comes from the law schools themselves?

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:
benburns214 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
wut?
You confused buddy?
I think he's curious what you're talking about. Are you saying the best data comes from the law schools themselves?
That, or USN... which gets the data from the law schools themselves anyway, but they are the only 3rd party that I would rely on.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:35 pm

The data on LST comes straight from US News. They just pull it right from the magazie and put it into an easy to understand format.

Edit: If what IAFG is saying below is true then I stand corrected.
Last edited by Tiago Splitter on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:36 pm

bk187 wrote:
benburns214 wrote:

The data is reported by the schools to USNWR who then gives it to LST who collates it in a nice format.

My main use for LST is showing the percentage of full time, bar required jobs for schools. Even though it's out of date, it paints a pretty bleak picture for a lot of schools.
You've said this before and I am pretty sure it's wrong. Schools give LST a breakdown (albeit an incomplete one). That's why LST only has the data for a few of the schools.

I think that LST has actually been pretty helpful about pressuring schools to give better data. I know the administration at NU is aware of their goals and at least talking about the issues.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”