Am I reading this correctly? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Mr. Somebody

Silver

Re: Am I reading this correctly?

Post by Mr. Somebody » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:08 pm

benburns214 wrote:
Jaeger wrote:Ben, forgive my confusion, but you seem to say that the legal market was worse in 2007 (thereby making the case stronger for the aforementioned school) but then say the data is incorrect. How is it incorrect? And are you thus saying don't put stock in LST?
My point from the beginning was not to put too much faith in the numbers that LST posts. There are certain statistics at certain schools that LST misrepresents (at no fault of their own). The legal market was much worse in 2007 than it is now, and some data on LST may reflect that (whether that data is accurate or not is questionable).

Boiled down... since some data on LST is misrepresented, its hard to know what data is accurate and what data isnt.
Could you point out which schools are misrepresented on LST?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:09 pm

benburns214 wrote:
Jaeger wrote:Ben, forgive my confusion, but you seem to say that the legal market was worse in 2007 (thereby making the case stronger for the aforementioned school) but then say the data is incorrect. How is it incorrect? And are you thus saying don't put stock in LST?
My point from the beginning was not to put too much faith in the numbers that LST posts. There are certain statistics at certain schools that LST misrepresents (at no fault of their own). The legal market was much worse in 2007 than it is now, and some data on LST may reflect that (whether that data is accurate or not is questionable).

Boiled down... since some data on LST is misrepresented, its hard to know what data is accurate and what data isnt.
NU and IIRC NYU have accounted for the data very rigorously. I think we're moving in the right direction.

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:10 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Solution: Just go to med school.
Ah, easy mistake to make as well.

People forget that if you are in the bottom 25% of your class at med school... your just as fucked as being bottom 25% at any law school.

Those are the people practicing medicine in Puerto Rico. GREEN CARDS FOR EVERYONE!! lol

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:16 pm

Ben, I'm sorry man, but some of your posts ITT just show an alarming degree of misinformation and naivete.

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:16 pm

benburns214 wrote:

People forget that if you are in the bottom 25% of your class at med school... your just as fucked as being bottom 25% at any law school.

Those are the people practicing medicine in Puerto Rico. GREEN CARDS FOR EVERYONE!! lol

False. There is and has always been a shortage of doctors. If you do poorly on your boards, you may end up with an undesirable residency but that percentage is far less than fucked lawyers.

Also, why would you need a green card in Puerto Rico? It's part of the US...?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:17 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
Jaeger wrote:
benburns214 wrote: Well it is always a possibility that they will illegally misrepresent their data... however, there is nothing we can do about that. If the law schools misrepresent it, then the data will be misrepresented in every source we read, and thus we will never get correct data.

I think there should be an independent entity that surveys every student upon graduation and at 9 months (which they must reply to or face a fine or some such nonsense) so that we can finally have correct information. Why is that so hard?
I think people are less likely to respond to some independent agency, as opposed to the school they attended and have a relationship with.

My point was that reporting to this agency (ABA?) was mandatory. Thus alleviating all concerns.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:Ben, I'm sorry man, but some of your posts ITT just show an alarming degree of misinformation and naivete.
He's a trollololol.

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:21 pm

Jaeger wrote:
benburns214 wrote:

False. There is and has always been a shortage of doctors. If you do poorly on your boards, you may end up with an undesirable residency but that percentage is far less than fucked lawyers.

Shortage of Doctors... true. Percentage... true. I think the main difference here is that people dont go to Med school because "they dont know what else to do", mainly because prepping for the MCAT requires classes... and knowledge.

IMO, i think if going to law school required pre-requisite classes, there'd be a whole lot less people going to law school. And the market would level out.

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:Ben, I'm sorry man, but some of your posts ITT just show an alarming degree of misinformation and naivete.
Wow

EDIT: pot calling the kettle black.
Last edited by benburns214 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:23 pm

benburns214 wrote:
Jaeger wrote:
benburns214 wrote:

Shortage of Doctors... true. Percentage... true. I think the main difference here is that people dont go to Med school because "they dont know what else to do", mainly because prepping for the MCAT requires classes... and knowledge.

IMO, i think if going to law school required pre-requisite classes, there'd be a whole lot less people going to law school. And the market would level out.

But imagine how annoying as shit all your 1L classmates would be if they were all pre-law majors.

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:24 pm

Nelson wrote:
He's a trollololol.
Any comment that shows any shred of insight that isnt completely pessimistic is considered trolling apparently. Some people amaze me

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:26 pm

Jaeger wrote:
benburns214 wrote:

Also, I don't think the notion of "class ranking" makes much sense in med school since it's pass/fail and your residency just is determined by boards

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:26 pm

Jaeger wrote: But imagine how annoying as shit all your 1L classmates would be if they were all pre-law majors.
Lol yes... thats true.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:27 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
Jaeger wrote:
benburns214 wrote:

Also, I don't think the notion of "class ranking" makes much sense in med school since it's pass/fail and your residency just is determined by boards
Excellent point... what I really meant was that if you do shitty in Med School, your still fucked.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:31 pm

benburns214 wrote:
Nelson wrote:
He's a trollololol.
Any comment that shows any shred of insight that isnt completely pessimistic is considered trolling apparently. Some people amaze me
No man, that's not what we mean. Your posts have just been out of touch and kind of absurd. Law school deans and professors would even take issue with your contention that law schools are a good source of employment data. Also, your earlier posts about the legal economy over the past few years and about the "bottom 25%" of medical schools being on par with the bottom 25% of law schools just shows me that you are naive and out of touch. You are arguing for things that just make no sense.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:38 pm

benburns214 wrote:
Nelson wrote:
He's a trollololol.
Your repeated conflation of the job placement of the class of 2009 with the economy in the year 2009 proves you're either trolling or an idiot.

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:41 pm

Nelson wrote:
benburns214 wrote:
Nelson wrote:
He's a trollololol.
Your repeated conflation of the job placement of the class of 2009 with the economy in the year 2009 proves you're either trolling or an idiot.
I never said anything about job placement... but, I'd go with just being an idiot. Im sure you are sooooo much more informed than the multiple JD's and Judges I know personally and got most of my information from. Definitely...

And romothesavior, whatever you say man. I honestly could not care less what you think... you obviously have your own oppinion (that is completely distorted) but i dont care. I was trying to inform other people, not you.

Have a great day ladies!!! :D

EDIT: You've posted 13 Thousand times on here?!?!?! My god man... do something else.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:48 pm

EDIT: You've posted 13 Thousand times on here?!?!?! My god man... do something else.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:50 pm

benburns214 wrote: I never said anything about job placement... but, I'd go with just being an idiot. Im sure you are sooooo much more informed than the multiple JD's and Judges I know personally and got most of my information from. Definitely...

And romothesavior, whatever you say man. I honestly could not care less what you think... you obviously have your own oppinion (that is completely distorted) but i dont care. I was trying to inform other people, not you.

That was an unnecessary ad hominem. But anyway I think that fact that he has so many posts shows he wants to fix misconceptions, like the ones ITT.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:52 pm

Jaeger wrote:

Romo probably gives tons of fucks of what ben thinks of his interest in contributing to TLS--particularly since his poasts range over the course of three years.

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:52 pm

top30man wrote:
benburns214 wrote: I never said anything about job placement... but, I'd go with just being an idiot. Im sure you are sooooo much more informed than the multiple JD's and Judges I know personally and got most of my information from. Definitely...

That was an unnecessary ad hominem. But anyway I think that fact that he has so many posts shows he wants to fix misconceptions, like the ones ITT.
My edit was definitely an ad hominum... but it really wasnt part of my argument, just a shocking observation. lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:54 pm

benburns214 wrote:Im sure you are sooooo much more informed than the multiple JD's and Judges I know personally and got most of my information from. Definitely...
Burnsy you were sort of hangin in there until you fired off this gem.

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:54 pm

Guchster wrote:
Jaeger wrote:
Romo probably gives tons of fucks of what ben thinks of his interest in contributing to TLS--particularly since his poasts range over the course of three years.
Probably... i can smell the tears welling up in his eyes from here :P

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:54 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
benburns214 wrote:Im sure you are sooooo much more informed than the multiple JD's and Judges I know personally and got most of my information from. Definitely...
They don't even try any more.

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:55 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
I've been an intern for a judge at a court house for over a year... i didnt just pull that out of my ass lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”