If you do not go to a "national" school... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
moneybagsphd

Silver

Re: If you do not go to a "national" school...

Post by moneybagsphd » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:48 pm

romothesavior wrote:
AVBucks4239 wrote:Interview Tip #1: never, under any circumstance, take a shot at a school in that firm's region. Odds are that somebody on the hiring committee graduated from said school. Saying, "Illinois has better faculty and is higher ranked than [insert regional school]" will basically guarantee that you don't get hired.
I wholeheartedly agree. I got a lot of "Why didn't you go to SLU?" questions, especially from SLU interviewers, and that was by far the hardest question to answer during OCI. I had to give some BS answer about WUSTL being a better personal fit or something. I had to resist the urge to say "Well WUSTL is a hell of a lot better school with a hell of a lot more reach," but an answer that even hinted at SLU being inferior to WUSTL would have been inappropriate.
TBF the question is inappropriate. And it's obvious why anyone should choose WUSTL over SLU.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:50 pm

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:59 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
AVBucks4239 wrote:Interview Tip #1: never, under any circumstance, take a shot at a school in that firm's region. Odds are that somebody on the hiring committee graduated from said school. Saying, "Illinois has better faculty and is higher ranked than [insert regional school]" will basically guarantee that you don't get hired.
I wholeheartedly agree. I got a lot of "Why didn't you go to SLU?" questions, especially from SLU interviewers, and that was by far the hardest question to answer during OCI. I had to give some BS answer about WUSTL being a better personal fit or something. I had to resist the urge to say "Well WUSTL is a hell of a lot better school with a hell of a lot more reach," but an answer that even hinted at SLU being inferior to WUSTL would have been inappropriate.
TBF the question is inappropriate. And it's obvious why anyone should choose WUSTL over SLU.
Even if it's obvious, there's no reason you need to take shots at lower ranked schools as a reason for going to a higher ranked school. This is just a being able to communicate with people skill, not an interview skill.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:06 pm

beach_terror wrote:Even if it's obvious, there's no reason you need to take shots at lower ranked schools as a reason for going to a higher ranked school. This is just a being able to communicate with people skill, not an interview skill.
:roll: Obviously, I understand that you have to give a diplomatic answer that doesn't disparage the interviewers alma mater.
SLU is a sub-100 school, while WUSTL is T20.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:33 pm

lol @ there being "good ol' boys" in the PNW.

Just the country boys going out for a Seattle brew to the internet cafe.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:57 pm

Gail wrote:lol @ there being "good ol' boys" in the PNW.

Lol @ getting seattle as an outsider. Whatever you want to call it.

nouseforaname123

Bronze

Post by nouseforaname123 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:59 pm

Gail wrote:lol @ there being "good ol' boys" in the PNW.

I think you took that a little bit too literally.

I should have used "local alumni network."

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:21 pm

SBL wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:
fogcue2 wrote:
-if your lucky enough to be IP, then ignore this advice, attend any T-30 you get accepted to, finish in the top 75 % of your class and you'll be fine...but everyone in your class will hate you...
Is this accurate? Do you think neuroscience would count? It's not listed as an official major but it seems pretty in-line w/ bio, chem...
I know plenty of IP kids at my "T25" who don't have jerbs

"IP secure" is a myth. It certainly helps (a significant amount) but there are more IP people looking than there are jobs.

thisishilarious

New

Post by thisishilarious » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:31 pm

Thank you all for your candid responses. This is obviously a tough decision, and your opinions have been helpful in balancing the importance of regional affiliation with national ranking. It is clear that L&C is the obvious choice for getting a decent job in Portland; though I worry for my options outside the region should I ever want to go elsewhere as I imagine it is not so highly regarded outside the PNW. While some have suggested Illinois is an equally regional school, my impression from the professionals with whom I've spoken is that with hard work it will open more doors nationally- especially considering the MBA program, which does not exist at Lewis and Clark. Either way they're offering to pay for half, so I'll be happy.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for UW and Boston.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:35 pm

thisishilarious wrote:Thank you all for your candid responses. This is obviously a tough decision, and your opinions have been helpful in balancing the importance of regional affiliation with national ranking. It is clear that L&C is the obvious choice for getting a decent job in Portland; though I worry for my options outside the region should I ever want to go elsewhere as I imagine it is not so highly regarded outside the PNW. While some have suggested Illinois is an equally regional school, my impression from the professionals with whom I've spoken is that with hard work it will open more doors nationally- especially considering the MBA program, which does not exist at Lewis and Clark. Either way they're offering to pay for half, so I'll be happy.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for UW and Boston.
MBA programs outside of the M7 at TTT. In fact a U of I MBA alumni slept with me. That should prove how TTT it is.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:37 pm

are you really ugly?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:40 pm

Another reason you should go to law school in the region you want:

Once you settle down, develop a reputation in the legal community, and most importantly develop a book of business, it is hard to pick up and move as a lawyer. Not impossible, but certainly a lot harder than if you work in some non-law job. Lawyers sort of become institutions in a particular location, and they move around less than their non-attorney counterparts.*

Sure, it's not a big deal if you're just some young associate leaving a big firm to relocate. But once you've spent a decent chunk of time in a location (especially in private practice), your primary contacts are going to be in a particular place. Going to law school planning on working somewhere for a few years and thinking you can just pick up and leave is a lot tougher plan than just going to the location you want to wind up in in the first place. You make getting your first job more difficult than it has to be, AND you make getting your second job more difficult than it has to be.

*Note: I am just a 2L so obviously this is not based on my experience, but is based on conversations I've had with attorneys I've spoken to about the issue of relocation. I am just passing on the good word. It's also pretty backed up by just looking at people's bios; most attorneys jump around from job to job, but not many jump from city to city.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:55 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:are you really ugly?
Yes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:14 pm

acrossthelake wrote: Yeah this.

I know that top Seattle firms prefer Univ. of Washington law students over Harvard Law students. If UW>Harvard in Seattle, then I'd bet money that L&C>Illinois in Portland.
Seattle is that insular even with ties? Fuuuuuuuuuuccckkkkkk.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:22 pm

No13baby wrote:

I know that top Seattle firms prefer Univ. of Washington law students over Harvard Law students. If UW>Harvard in Seattle, then I'd bet money that L&C>Illinois in Portland.
i don't think it's necessarily that they prefer the local kids over HLS kids with ties. it's just that all the firms probably wish to keep some relationship with the law school, so a certain number of spots are reserved for these schools, regardless of the economy. i know in Atlanta, certain spots are always reserved for Emory and UGA students, even if it's to the detriment of T14/Vandy. i'd imagine something similar at Seattle where most spots are probably going to the top of the class at UW with everyone else (including HYS) battling it out for the remaining spots.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:23 pm

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:49 pm

No13baby wrote:

PNW is renowned for being an insular as fuck, tough market to crack for most types of entry level employment.

The thing to keep in mind with PNW is there really just aren't nearly as many jobs available as there are in other markets. It's just a really competitive market. If you're PNW or bust, then stay in the region. Otherwise, with good grades, coming from a t13, you'll still stand a solid chance come OCI (especially if you stayed in the PNW for UG).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:32 am

moneybagsphd wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

no it isn't obvious to them.... Bryan Cave takes more SA from SLU(6) than WUSTL(5). I heard for other STL based firms, the placement rate is generally pretty equal between SLU and WUSTL grads.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:47 pm

thexfactor wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

no it isn't obvious to them.... Bryan Cave takes more SA from SLU(6) than WUSTL(5). I heard for other STL based firms, the placement rate is generally pretty equal between SLU and WUSTL grads.
? I thought BC's most recent class was 2 SLU students and 5 WUSTL?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:01 pm

beachbum wrote:? I thought BC's most recent class was 2 SLU students and 5 WUSTL?
The "STL firms prefer SLU kids over WUSTL kids" argument isn't true. First, from what I've seen the big firms in town have more WUSTL lawyers, and if one year a certain firm had more SLU than WUSTL I would write it off as a fluke.

But even if it were the case that class sizes were evenly split between the two schools or even slightly in SLU's favor, you have to account for self-selection. At WUSTL, most of our top 5-10% students are going to Vault firms in NYC, D.C, Chicago, etc. Few people at SLU are getting firm jobs outside of STL, so basically the people who get firm jobs from there are the top 5% people. If STL firms are willing to dip down to our top quarter or third to hire us, but only into the top 5-10% at SLU, then it doesn't really make sense to say they prefer SLU students.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:
beachbum wrote:? I thought BC's most recent class was 2 SLU students and 5 WUSTL?
The "STL firms prefer SLU kids over WUSTL kids" argument isn't true. First, from what I've seen the big firms in town have more WUSTL lawyers, and if one year a certain firm had more SLU than WUSTL I would write it off as a fluke.

But even if it were the case that class sizes were evenly split between the two schools or even slightly in SLU's favor, you have to account for self-selection. At WUSTL, most of our top 5-10% students are going to Vault firms in NYC, D.C, Chicago, etc. Few people at SLU are getting firm jobs outside of STL, so basically the people who get firm jobs from there are the top 5% people. If STL firms are willing to dip down to our top quarter or third to hire us, but only into the top 5-10% at SLU, then it doesn't really make sense to say they prefer SLU students.
That placement number was from last year I think....
Romo you are right that yes if all things are equal, they would prob rather take a WUSTL grad. I think the difference is that they don't value WUSTL as much as they should. IE. They might be willling to go top 10% at SLU but might dip down to top 15% at WUSTL. In Detroit, firms might consider only top 10% of Wayne or MSU grads but they are willing to go below median to grab Umich grads.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:15 pm

romothesavior wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Also, in many secondary markets, it will be difficult to get a job there if you are not from there or have significant ties to the region, even if you go to the regional school.
Ah yes, I should have included this in my OP.

Relocating for law school is usually a bad idea.
Southern californian seeking biglaw is accepted into UCLA and Cornell, and highly unlikely to recieve any aid. In this case you'd suggest..?

I'm assuming Cornell, though ITT it's been considered a regional school thus far.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:24 pm

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:26 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Also, in many secondary markets, it will be difficult to get a job there if you are not from there or have significant ties to the region, even if you go to the regional school.
Ah yes, I should have included this in my OP.

Relocating for law school is usually a bad idea.
Southern californian seeking biglaw is accepted into UCLA and Cornell, and highly unlikely to recieve any aid. In this case you'd suggest..?

I'm assuming Cornell, though ITT it's been considered a regional school thus far.
UCLA.
I wouldn't pay sticker for UCLA. Or Cornell actually, but Cornell is far and away the better choice if you just want to get a job that will enable you to repay those loans in a timely fashion.

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:27 pm

acrossthelake wrote: UCLA.
I agree, UCLA, if you want to stay in CA. But, yeah, I also agree that whether it's a good idea to go to UCLA at sticker is debatable at best.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”