W&L vs. UF vs. Bama

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

W&L vs. UF vs. Bama

UF
11
32%
Bama
5
15%
W&L
18
53%
 
Total votes: 34

User avatar
beezy08
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: W&L vs. UF vs. Bama

Postby beezy08 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:45 am

seancris wrote:Unless you want to stay in Florida, don't go to UF. Everything I've heard indicates that the degree is non-portable, and that its real stength lies in a loyal hiring alumni base which is almost exclusively in FL.

W&L sounds like the way to go.

BTW I think your W&L is high annd the UF number is possibly low. The CoA numbers on law school websites are almost always exaggerated. If you're willing to live frugally, you can likely cut thousands out of your CoL expenses over the three years. In regards to UF being low, you've got to account for continued tuition increases. 21k next year is confirmed (rather than the 18k it is today), with possible 15% increases annually. It seems like UF has increased their tuition by 15% a year each year for the last four years or so... it would probably be unwise to not account for another 15% increase 2L year.

Not really sure why you are considering UF to be the "safe bet," either. That CoA isn't particularly low, and you know from living in Florida that the economy and legal market is shit here.


How did you get the UF tuition # for next year? 15% is ridic, but from being a UF undergrad that doesn't surprise me at all. I have been attempting to figure out what kind of tuition increases I will see at UF, but have had no luck, so thank you. I am not necessarily saying I won't stay in FL though, it's just not my first choice. I have asked for more money, so I will see how that comes back, because it's certainly a factor.

And FWIW I think the W&L number is high as well but I just like to be safe. I generally agree that the websites give high numbers, and they account for expenses that I won't have to worry about.

User avatar
seancris
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Re: W&L vs. UF vs. Bama

Postby seancris » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:57 am

beezy08 wrote:How did you get the UF tuition # for next year? 15% is ridic, but from being a UF undergrad that doesn't surprise me at all. I have been attempting to figure out what kind of tuition increases I will see at UF, but have had no luck, so thank you. I am not necessarily saying I won't stay in FL though, it's just not my first choice. I have asked for more money, so I will see how that comes back, because it's certainly a factor.


I went to UF roadmap and had a 1 on 1 tour with one of the student recruiters. Earlier in the day, the dean of admissions alluded to more tuition increases, saying that that it "might be slightly higher" next year, and I asked the student recruiter who confirmed that it would be a 15% increase to 21k a year. 15% has been the standard annual increase at UF across the board for all programs in recent years. The recruiter promised that they would cap it at 21k, but I wouldn't bet on it. Check out last year's acceptances thread, applicants were promissed that tuition would be capped at the 16k level of two years ago.

And every time Bernie gets ahold of microphone he's jabbering about how UF needs to become financially independent and the legislature should allow UF to charge the "market rate" aka private school prices.

If they keep doing 15% increases it will be 21k for 1L, 25k for 2L, and 27k for 3L for a grand total of 73k in tuition alone before CoL and educational expenses. Numbers might be slightly off, I did the calculations a few months ago and am recalling from memory. But that's the general picture if the trend continues.

Regardless of the exact number, tuition isn't going anywhere but up as far as I can tell and you should account for that in deciding where to go.

UMiamiCane
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:18 am

Re: W&L vs. UF vs. Bama

Postby UMiamiCane » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:03 pm

Seancris is correct about tuition increases at UF. Tuition has gone up 15% every year for the last few years, and is expected to go up again next year (probably why they increased their merit-aid awards). Though some people think it won't go up past the $21,000 mark.

Here is an interesting read:

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2012 ... /120219620

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: W&L vs. UF vs. Bama

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:06 pm

The University of Florida actually tried to go private a few years ago, but the state would not let it do so. I know it's not relevant, but it goes hand in hand with what the poster above me is talking about.

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: W&L vs. UF vs. Bama

Postby jmhendri » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:53 pm

beezy08 wrote:Thanks for the info. If anyone else wants to chime in, feel free. Additionally, if anyone knows anything about this: IF the money were comparable at W&L or another similar VA school, how significant are ties there? Meaning, does having a shit ton of family there matter, or do they like their hires born and raised?


Ties are huge, especially in the South. But it doesn't matter what kind of ties. Employers just need to legitimately believe you're not going to bail after 2 years.

User avatar
Indifferent
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: W&L vs. UF vs. Bama

Postby Indifferent » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:06 pm

caputlupinum wrote:If you look at this list http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?interactive=true&id=1202543436520&slreturn=1 W&L is the clear choice if you want any chance at all at big law and then Bama, and UF should not even be on your list.

If you want biglaw, TCR is retake.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: W&L vs. UF vs. Bama

Postby keg411 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:29 pm

OP, I don't think W&L/W&M are bad choices for you with your connections to VA, but you're right about the prices not being right. Anyway you can try to re-take in June for more scholarship $$$? Either that or consider applying to jobs in the VA area where you family is (even better, see if they can help get you something -- it doesn't have to be legal) and move there for a few years and then try law school?

User avatar
beezy08
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: W&L vs. UF vs. Bama

Postby beezy08 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:04 pm

keg411 wrote:OP, I don't think W&L/W&M are bad choices for you with your connections to VA, but you're right about the prices not being right. Anyway you can try to re-take in June for more scholarship $$$? Either that or consider applying to jobs in the VA area where you family is (even better, see if they can help get you something -- it doesn't have to be legal) and move there for a few years and then try law school?


I have definitely thought about a retake but hadnt considered the possibility of moving to VA. My main concern with the retake is that my actual score was 4-5 points higher than my PT average. I've been back and forth about it for a while and eventually put it out of my mind. I'm going to sit down and think more about all of this, and I have to discuss the situation with my SO as well.

User avatar
seancris
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Re: W&L vs. UF vs. Bama

Postby seancris » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:18 pm

beezy08 wrote:
keg411 wrote:OP, I don't think W&L/W&M are bad choices for you with your connections to VA, but you're right about the prices not being right. Anyway you can try to re-take in June for more scholarship $$$? Either that or consider applying to jobs in the VA area where you family is (even better, see if they can help get you something -- it doesn't have to be legal) and move there for a few years and then try law school?


I have definitely thought about a retake but hadnt considered the possibility of moving to VA. My main concern with the retake is that my actual score was 4-5 points higher than my PT average. I've been back and forth about it for a while and eventually put it out of my mind. I'm going to sit down and think more about all of this, and I have to discuss the situation with my SO as well.


I'm thinking about a retake as well, when earlier in the year I had considered UF my goal school. I underperformed on the LSAT but still thought I would get decent $$ based on LSN reports. And when I decided not to retake back in July, I thought tuition was going to be 16k not 21k. The CoA for UF is looking to be almost double what I expected when I decided not to retake.

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone when it comes to considering taking time off to retake.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: W&L vs. UF vs. Bama

Postby 20160810 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:36 am

rad lulz wrote:UF because W&L is too expensive at that price. Don't go to Bama, because you're not from there and have no connections there.

I voted Bama. Roll Tide.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DoYouEvenTLS, MarkinKansasCity, SunDevil14 and 3 guests