Cornell vs. UT

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell vs. UT

Cornell
43%
UT
57%

Total votes: 23

hal20

Cornell vs. UT

Postby hal20 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:22 pm

Hey guys! My cycle is almost over and I would love some help with a tough choice. Things to keep in mind:

1. My younger sibling is committed to UT-Austin for undergrad next year and I have extended family in Austin/Houston- including connections at a V100 firm and in government.
2. Most likely I will be paying sticker at both schools. My parents are giving me a no-interest loan for living expenses so I only have to take out loans for tuition.
3. I have a slight preference towards working in Chicago (my hometown), but would rather end up in Texas than NYC.
4. I want BigLaw.

Ready, go. Thanks for the help!

Mr. Somebody

Re: Cornell vs. UT

Postby Mr. Somebody » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:23 pm

What's more important to you, getting a biglaw job period or staying in Texas? If the former, than Cornell, if the latter UT. If you have ties to Chicago then you should be able to go back there. Did you get into NU?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:23 pm

If you want Texas biglaw, it's UT without a doubt. I don't know about Chicago, but placement from either school is going to be difficult. It's much better to have Texas biglaw as your backup, which you will at UT, than nothing. Cornell will only help to get you NYC biglaw.

hal20

Postby hal20 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:27 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:What's more important to you, getting a biglaw job period or staying in Texas? If the former, than Cornell, if the latter UT. If you have ties to Chicago then you should be able to go back there. Did you get into NU?

I'm currently "held" at NU, but will have to put down a deposit somewhere before they get me a decision. I do have Chicago connections, and probably being near family in Texas/Chicago is more important than biglaw... but I also don't want to be unemployed and in debt.

eaper

Postby eaper » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:28 pm

hal20 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:What's more important to you, getting a biglaw job period or staying in Texas? If the former, than Cornell, if the latter UT. If you have ties to Chicago then you should be able to go back there. Did you get into NU?

I'm currently "held" at NU, but will have to put down a deposit somewhere before they get me a decision. I do have Chicago connections, and probably being near family in Texas/Chicago is more important than biglaw... but I also don't want to be unemployed and in debt.

Do you have instate at Texas, or are you still an Illinoisian <?>?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:42 pm

Which school would open up more for you nationally?

I know the bar association in CO lists UT as a national law school, but not Cornell. What about in Chicago-- which school would have more alums?

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:44 pm

You already have BigLaw connections out of UT, go there.

Rawlberto

Postby Rawlberto » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:10 pm

JoeMo wrote:You already have BigLaw connections out of UT, go there.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:48 pm

Based on your posted preferences, this is not even close. Not really sure why you are asking if you prefer Texas over NYC and you have family & connections in Texas.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:20 pm

The only place where Cornell really has a significant edge over UT is NYC. With most of biglaw being in NYC, it ends up being a better choice for employment prospects overall. However, neither will really place that well in Chicago, and in Texas, UT is arguably viewed more favorably by employers.

I know you mentioned that family/Texas is more important than biglaw, but when you're faced with shitlaw and tons of debt, will you still feel the same way? Will you regret not having that extra 20% or so of wiggle room for biglaw placement even if it is in NYC?

edit: will that v100 connection in TX guarantee employment despite your rank?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:40 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”