H/S vs T6$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Dani.B

H/S vs T6$

Postby Dani.B » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Is money ever a reason to turn down H/S? I have been accepted to Stanford, held at Harvard

Is full tuition at NYU, Chi, or Columbia >>>H/S

facts about me:

I am considered "needy": single parent household w/ income between 40-60k, other dependents in the household, plus undergrad loans. Does this give me a good chance at (considerable) money from S?
Last edited by Dani.B on Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soj

Re: HYS vs T6$

Postby soj » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:00 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if you received considerable need-based aid from HYS. That should narrow the gap in cost between HYS and CCN considerably. You should also think about where and what kind of law you want to practice, and whether your chosen career would qualify for LRAP.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:02 pm

Yale >> Not Yale

Dani.B

Postby Dani.B » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:04 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:Yale >> Not Yale

lol maybe i shouldve just put H/S. Did not apply to yale, no shot

PMan99

Postby PMan99 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:09 pm

Yale is the only school that should be coming into the discussion when talking about turning down 200K+ from Chicago/Columbia. And even then there's a strong case to be made that if you just want biglaw (particularly NYC biglaw) that CC is still the better choice.

But if you get aid you won't be turning down that much...

soj

Re: H/S vs T6$

Postby soj » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:13 pm

Full tuition scholarships at Chicago and NYU often have earlier deadlines, so you might have to decide before receiving financial aid offers from Harvard and Stanford.

Dani.B

Postby Dani.B » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:18 pm

soj wrote:Full tuition scholarships at Chicago and NYU often have earlier deadlines, so you might have to decide before receiving financial aid offers from Harvard and Stanford.

which is my big concern

Does anyone know when you usually hear back about aid from Harvard and Stanford?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:22 pm

Dani.B wrote:
soj wrote:Full tuition scholarships at Chicago and NYU often have earlier deadlines, so you might have to decide before receiving financial aid offers from Harvard and Stanford.

which is my big concern

Does anyone know when you usually hear back about aid from Harvard and Stanford?

You can probably push on this if you explain your situation to them. I wouldn't make any decisions before calling Stanford's Financial Aid people to see if they can give you an amount before X/XX/2012.

Dani.B

Postby Dani.B » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:27 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Dani.B wrote:

which is my big concern

You can probably push on this if you explain your situation to them. I wouldn't make any decisions before calling Stanford's Financial Aid people to see if they can give you an amount before X/XX/2012.

Will do! thanks!

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:53 pm

Dani.B wrote:Is money ever a reason to turn down H/S? I have been accepted to Stanford, held at Harvard

Is full tuition at NYU, Chi, or Columbia >>>H/S

facts about me:

I am considered "needy": single parent household w/ income between 40-60k, other dependents in the household, plus undergrad loans. Does this give me a good chance at (considerable) money from S?

Would you prefer to go the very best schools and come out $200,000 in debt, or would you rather go to the best schools and come out without debt?

If you have dependents, then it's stupid to choose H/S at stcker over Columbia, Chicago or NYU for free.
If you don't have dependents, it's probably equally stupid, but at least no one else is affected by your bad decisions.

That being said, if you get money out of either of those schools, it'll narrow the gap.
But think of it this way: if you couldn't borrow the money for S/H but had to save up and pay cash, would you?

justinp

Postby justinp » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:08 pm

I'm in a vaguely similar situation, and based on everyone I've talked to there isn't really a correct answer here. It depends on what you want to do, how important clerkship chances are to you, where you want to practice, your comfort level with debt, etc.

That said, you might end up with pretty generous aid packages from H/S, which would change the calculus pretty dramatically.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:20 pm

I would take full tuition at any one of Chicago, Columbia or NYU over sticker at Harvard or Stanford any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

If you go to a firm afterward, those loans are gonna be over $2,000 a month, every month, for ten years. Think about what that means. Really think about it.

If you get need-based aid the calculus changes.

Postby 071816 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:24 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I would take full tuition at any one of Chicago, Columbia or NYU over sticker at Harvard or Stanford any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

If you go to a firm afterward, those loans are gonna be over $2,000 a month, every month, for ten years. Think about what that means. Really think about it.

If you get need-based aid the calculus changes.

I would take it 19 times on Sundays.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:26 pm

It is precisely because you're "needy" that you should go to S--you fall right into the bracket where you will probably get enough financial aid to make up most of the difference. I'd be incredibly shocked if you didn't.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:27 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I would take full tuition at any one of Chicago, Columbia or NYU over sticker at Harvard or Stanford any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

+1

Calculus changes if you get significant need-aid from HS.

If you only want to do biglaw, then you can still make an argument for CCN full tuition. Because, let's be real, 167.5k starting salary with minimal debt (COL) is pretty magnificent.

Flash

Postby Flash » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:54 pm

PMan99 wrote:

Yale is the only school that should be coming into the discussion when talking about turning down 200K+ from Chicago/Columbia. And even then there's a strong case to be made that if you just want biglaw (particularly NYC biglaw) that CC is still the better choice.

There's not a meaningful difference between Yale and Stanford.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:31 pm

Flash wrote:
PMan99 wrote:

There's not a meaningful difference between Yale and Stanford.

LOL

Return to “Choosing a Law School”