Hofstra vs. Villanova vs. U.Miami. Help Plz

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I go to?

Hofstra
9
28%
Miami
9
28%
Villanova
12
38%
Syracuse
2
6%
 
Total votes: 32

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Hofstra vs. Villanova vs. U.Miami. Help Plz

Postby quiver » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:56 pm

You clearly want to go to Hofstra. If your eyes are as wide open as you say they are, then you know that all of these schools are regional with dismal prospects. You want NYC and Hofstra is the closest to being in the same market but just know that you'll have an uphill (Everest-like) climb in order to get a job good enough to actually offset the cost of living in or near NYC.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Hofstra vs. Villanova vs. U.Miami. Help Plz

Postby 20130312 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:57 pm

Hova wrote:Thanks guys, it only took so many responses to finally get real advice. I'll most likely be going to Hofstra then. If you guys are ever in NYC, visit me. Actually don't, I hate you guys. Just kidding


I'm actually going to be at Hofstra a couple weekends from now. Down to chill?

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Hofstra vs. Villanova vs. U.Miami. Help Plz

Postby flem » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:00 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Hova wrote:Thanks guys, it only took so many responses to finally get real advice. I'll most likely be going to Hofstra then. If you guys are ever in NYC, visit me. Actually don't, I hate you guys. Just kidding


I'm actually going to be at Hofstra a couple weekends from now. Down to chill?


MADLAW BRO

And if this dude is serious then I actually, sincerely wish crippling debt on him.

WE ARE THE 42%

Hova
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:47 am

Re: Hofstra vs. Villanova vs. U.Miami. Help Plz

Postby Hova » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:01 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Hova wrote:Thanks guys, it only took so many responses to finally get real advice. I'll most likely be going to Hofstra then. If you guys are ever in NYC, visit me. Actually don't, I hate you guys. Just kidding


I'm actually going to be at Hofstra a couple weekends from now. Down to chill?


Would love to but I'm actually in China right now. It's almost 4 AM here now but I can't sleep cause this decision has been bothering me. Haven't even seen a real acceptance letter yet, just e-mails.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Hofstra vs. Villanova vs. U.Miami. Help Plz

Postby 20130312 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:03 pm

Hova wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
Hova wrote:Thanks guys, it only took so many responses to finally get real advice. I'll most likely be going to Hofstra then. If you guys are ever in NYC, visit me. Actually don't, I hate you guys. Just kidding


I'm actually going to be at Hofstra a couple weekends from now. Down to chill?


Would love to but I'm actually in China right now. It's almost 4 AM here now but I can't sleep cause this decision has been bothering me. Haven't even seen a real acceptance letter yet, just e-mails.


We can talk about Jay-Z together and why Nas is so much better.

Hova
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:47 am

Re: Hofstra vs. Villanova vs. U.Miami. Help Plz

Postby Hova » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:07 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Hova wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
Hova wrote:Thanks guys, it only took so many responses to finally get real advice. I'll most likely be going to Hofstra then. If you guys are ever in NYC, visit me. Actually don't, I hate you guys. Just kidding


I'm actually going to be at Hofstra a couple weekends from now. Down to chill?


Would love to but I'm actually in China right now. It's almost 4 AM here now but I can't sleep cause this decision has been bothering me. Haven't even seen a real acceptance letter yet, just e-mails.


We can talk about Jay-Z together and why Nas is so much better.


I'm the biggest Nas fan you'll find man. But in terms of life, Hov did it. Beyonce, hundreds of millions of dollars, and the list goes on.

Honestly, I felt Nas fell off after Hip-hop is dead. Jay-Z still feels like he's getting better or in his prime. Crazy because he's fucking 42.

Hova
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:47 am

Re: Hofstra vs. Villanova vs. U.Miami. Help Plz

Postby Hova » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:09 pm

flem wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
Hova wrote:Thanks guys, it only took so many responses to finally get real advice. I'll most likely be going to Hofstra then. If you guys are ever in NYC, visit me. Actually don't, I hate you guys. Just kidding


I'm actually going to be at Hofstra a couple weekends from now. Down to chill?


MADLAW BRO

And if this dude is serious then I actually, sincerely wish crippling debt on him.

WE ARE THE 42%


"I hate you. I don't even know you, but I hate you. I hate your guts. I hope all the bad things in life happen to you and only to you."

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Hofstra vs. Villanova vs. U.Miami. Help Plz

Postby 20130312 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:10 pm

Hova wrote:I'm the biggest Nas fan you'll find man. But in terms of life, Hov did it. Beyonce, hundreds of millions of dollars, and the list goes on.

Honestly, I felt Nas fell off after Hip-hop is dead. Jay-Z still feels like he's getting better or in his prime. Crazy because he's fucking 42.


You're far more sensible about rap music than you are about law school.

Image

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Hofstra vs. Villanova vs. U.Miami. Help Plz

Postby flem » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Hova wrote:
flem wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
Hova wrote:Thanks guys, it only took so many responses to finally get real advice. I'll most likely be going to Hofstra then. If you guys are ever in NYC, visit me. Actually don't, I hate you guys. Just kidding


I'm actually going to be at Hofstra a couple weekends from now. Down to chill?


MADLAW BRO

And if this dude is serious then I actually, sincerely wish crippling debt on him.

WE ARE THE 42%


"I hate you. I don't even know you, but I hate you. I hate your guts. I hope all the bad things in life happen to you and only to you."


+1 for the Chappelle's show quote, -500 for terrible life choices

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Hofstra vs. Villanova vs. U.Miami. Help Plz

Postby PDaddy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:44 am

HeavenWood wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
PDaddy wrote:Of the schools you listed, Miami is probably your best bet, and you can transfer to any school from just about any school if you have the grades. That having been said, go where you might not mind getting "stuck" for three years, as well as where you have decent job prospects, good-looking people, lots of activity, access to a major market outside of the school's home market, and a reasonable chance of doing well. That's Miami.

If you go to the other schools, you are pretty much limited to their home markets. Miami at least gives you a chance at not only Miami, but Tampa, Orlando, Atlanta, NC, and D.C. The latter three markets are slim, but you can get there. If you do extremely well, you can get to NY from Miami, but it is rare.

If you go to Hofstra, plan on practicing in NY and only NY; if you go to 'Nova, plan on practicing in Philly.

Oh...and if you go to Penn St. spit on Sandusky for me.


Cause he smells like buttermilk?


Please accept my apology for any offensive stereotypical remarks. I was extremely bothered by the racism I saw and was exposed to on this site (some of which was promoted by a black woman named Gaia), so I responded in kind. People on this cite have stereotyped the black applicants (especially the males) as being dumb and unqualified for the law schools to which they gain admission. Given the choice, I would much rather be told that I smell like a particular food than be called dumb. Time to put the buttermilk back in the fridge, dude. By perpetuating that conversation, you look petty.


The whole "white people smell like buttermilk" thing sounds less like a stereotype than some whacked-out notion you, and only you, ascribe to. I also think most of the people on the "cite" you're referring to were infrequent posters and/or shitty trolls. You became notorious for a reason.

That said, it takes a real man to admit when he's wrong, so I'm happy to leave it at that. No more buttermilk references on my end. :wink:


The buttermilk thing really was a minor dig, kind of like the stereotype that "white men can't jump". It doesn't mean they can't play ball, right? :wink: Like I said, that's nothing compared to being on a site where people call black men dumb and unqualified every day, or where a few black women who prefer to date white boys will openly denigrate hard-working black men.

Trust me, if you asked blacks who have lived in dorm rooms, you would find out that moring body odors are a source of conversation amongst black students who have caucasian roommates, and I am sure the reverse is also true. The buttermilk thing is often mentioned. But we all have moring body odors that resemble some type of food. Body smells result from culture (and genetics to a smaller degree); they result from the activities in which we partake and the foods we eat. Italians and people from Mediterranean cultures, for example, tend to have a very spicy, sour smell when they wake up in the morning or when they exercize because garlic (among other spices) is a staple of their diets.

Many non-Italian caucasians tend to consume large amounts of dairy products, whereas many people of African discent are lactose-intolerant and thus do not tend to consume large amounts of milk. Certain groups of people can be stereotyped as having certain types of body odors when waking up in the morning, but it is an imperfect science. I am sure many blacks smell spicy or like buttermilk when they awake. My former roommate (who was black), smelled of peanuts when he woke up in the morning. it was his diet. All human beings are subject to it, and it mostly arises out of the environments in which you spend your time, your activities, your diet, and genetics.

The reason I am "notorious" is that I do not give into groupthink, and I stand up for what I believe without wavering. I am also notorious because I don't speak out of my ass. I tend to have supporting evidence ready when I write, and that intimidates people. I apologize for losing my temper with an ignorant person (Gaia), but I do not apologize for the way I think about certain issues. You should see the private notes I get from people telling me I am their "hero". You would probably never expect that, but it's true. Despite what many people on TLS might think, I am also well-liked by many others, and I have forged offline friendships with TLSers.

You should also know that I have constantly offered my services to others seeking admission to law school and I have a 100% success rate, i.e., the students I guide through the process wind up at several target schools, with money. I have helped students gain admission to law schools all over the country (Duke, Penn, Vandy, Michigan, GULC, ND, UVA, UCI, Tulane, etc.), and my students come from all backgrounds.

Gaia was ragging on black men in a public forum about black male-female issues, which is a taboo thing for a black woman to do. As you saw, she offended several of the black males on this site, not just me. There was a reason for that...one which I could not possibly begin to explain to you in a post. But she was way out of line, if for no other reason than she posted a private note in the open. But that was the British in her. I believe in Karma; one day, someone will return the favor, and they may do it when the stakes are much higher...like at her first job out of law school. She still should have known better.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Hofstra vs. Villanova vs. U.Miami. Help Plz

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:08 pm

Christ, did you just throw darts at a map and pick schools that way? You want to work in NYC and you are considering Miami and Villanova, not to mention on of the laughingstocks of the NYC market. These are all just terrible options for you in every respect.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Hofstra vs. Villanova vs. U.Miami. Help Plz

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:24 pm

Why do you have to go to law school next year? What's forcing you?

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Hofstra vs. Villanova vs. U.Miami. Help Plz

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:19 pm

quiver wrote:You clearly want to go to Hofstra. If your eyes are as wide open as you say they are, then you know that all of these schools are regional with dismal prospects. You want NYC and Hofstra is the closest to being in the same market but just know that you'll have an uphill (Everest-like) climb in order to get a job good enough to actually offset the cost of living in or near NYC.

benburns214
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: Hofstra vs. Villanova vs. U.Miami. Help Plz

Postby benburns214 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:20 pm

Linsanity wrote:You will NEVER come to this site and feel encouraged. You have to understand that 99% of people on here go to great law schools and will start out with a very good salary. They don't understand that for those of us who will go to schools like Hofstra and Villanova ranked in the middle of Tier 2, we will probably start out with a 70k job, and have to work a few years before we get our 6 figure salary. Go to one of your choices and feel confident that you are going to a very solid school, regardless of what these idiots think. You may not start out with an extremely high salary, but you will get there.

Remember: The only main thing your legal education does for you is get you in the door. The rest is up to you.


I can not + this enough.. +9999999999999999999999999999999

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Hofstra vs. Villanova vs. U.Miami. Help Plz

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:35 pm

benburns214 wrote:
Linsanity wrote:You will NEVER come to this site and feel encouraged. You have to understand that 99% of people on here go to great law schools and will start out with a very good salary. They don't understand that for those of us who will go to schools like Hofstra and Villanova ranked in the middle of Tier 2, we will probably start out with a 70k job, and have to work a few years before we get our 6 figure salary. Go to one of your choices and feel confident that you are going to a very solid school, regardless of what these idiots think. You may not start out with an extremely high salary, but you will get there.

Remember: The only main thing your legal education does for you is get you in the door. The rest is up to you.


I can not + this enough.. +9999999999999999999999999999999

You can + it as many times as you want, but it doesn't make the underlined true. Check out Hofstra's profile on LST. That's c/o 2009. The data for c/o 2010 and 2011 is even worse.

benburns214
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: Hofstra vs. Villanova vs. U.Miami. Help Plz

Postby benburns214 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:
benburns214 wrote:
Linsanity wrote:You will NEVER come to this site and feel encouraged. You have to understand that 99% of people on here go to great law schools and will start out with a very good salary. They don't understand that for those of us who will go to schools like Hofstra and Villanova ranked in the middle of Tier 2, we will probably start out with a 70k job, and have to work a few years before we get our 6 figure salary. Go to one of your choices and feel confident that you are going to a very solid school, regardless of what these idiots think. You may not start out with an extremely high salary, but you will get there.

Remember: The only main thing your legal education does for you is get you in the door. The rest is up to you.


I can not + this enough.. +9999999999999999999999999999999

You can + it as many times as you want, but it doesn't make the underlined true. Check out Hofstra's profile on LST. That's c/o 2009. The data for c/o 2010 and 2011 is even worse.


I honestly didnt even look at the stats in question... I was mainly +'ing the rest of it.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Hofstra vs. Villanova vs. U.Miami. Help Plz

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:04 pm

benburns214 wrote:
I honestly didnt even look at the stats in question... I was mainly +'ing the rest of it.


The rest of it was also absurdly wrong. People on this website are actually fairly encouraging when people are making good decisions for their economic future. In some threads, I actually tell the person they're underselling themselves and to aim higher.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Hofstra vs. Villanova vs. U.Miami. Help Plz

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:34 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
benburns214 wrote:
I honestly didnt even look at the stats in question... I was mainly +'ing the rest of it.


The rest of it was also absurdly wrong. People on this website are actually fairly encouraging when people are making good decisions for their economic future. In some threads, I actually tell the person they're underselling themselves and to aim higher.

I wrote out a response and deleted it. This is a lot nicer than I would have put it. People here have been very encouraging to me, but also have told me what I needed to hear when I needed to hear it. I'm glad for that.

TLS is a little intimidating, but the notion that it's just a bunch of T14 elitist d-bags who look down on anything that isn't Vault biglaw is just ridiculous. And at the end of the day, it doesn't matter if we are or aren't. It's a classic case of the ad hom. Strip away the posters making the message, and what are you left with? An objective fact: Hofstra (and lots of other schools discussed on this site) is an expensive school with shady employment data near the bottom of the totem pole in an oversaturated market. It is a bad financial investment for most people who go there. That's pretty obvious from the data.

It sounds like OP might be okay here because (s)he claims to have a guaranteed job. But for most others at the school... well, good luck.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: echonov, PrezRand, smile0751 and 4 guests